• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Metabolic Trap for Body Temperature

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
This is something I've always thought could be a factor since so many of us do report low body temp: I was reading a thread about it on another website and the member gave some links.

One led to this guy's webpage here and here. He is some sort of HVAC systems engineer and so has some different ways of explaining his theories about temperature and illness but they really don't seem too far off especially for someone without a medical background. His ideas sound a lot the metabolic trap--at least what my basic understanding of that is.

I especially like when he said, "The biggest problem with living at low temperature comes from the fact that this is fundamentally a sleeping condition. To actually be able to get around and function during the day, you must put out large amounts of adrenal hormones to get up enough energy to function."

I wonder if that might explain or be a contributing factor as to why we burn out/crash so easily.

I know there are tests to measure our cortisol levels but is there a way to measure our adrenal levels through the day in the same way? Does anyone know?

Anyway, I thought it is an interesting read. If you don't want to read the whole thing, you could just read pages 58, 59, and the top half of 60 to get a gist of what he is saying. I'm going to keep those links above but also attach the document below.

Attachments

• Advanced Logical MethodsFree.pdf
    627 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Jackdaw

I'm not able to read the document so sorry if this is irrelevant.

I had classic ME temp for 13 years until this year. Severe relapse and a constant low grade fever. This week I have hit 38.3C. It has lasted 6 months so far and I have certainly not felt good with it. I don't know what to make of the change.

Wishful

I haven't noticed any difference in energy levels on cold days or hot days, or when my body temperature is high or low. I feel less desire to physically exert myself on a hot day, but that's not a difference in ME symptom severity. So the evidence seems against his hypothesis.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I'm not able to read the document so sorry if this is irrelevant.

Oh, I'm sorry. It's a pdf file. Do you have a pdf program like adobe or foxit on your device? Otherwise I could post some excerpts of his file or possibly paste it into a document file and PM it to you. (I won't be able to do that today though. Sorry :()

I do think getting the body temp up to what the author refers to as "bureau of standards" or our pre-programmed normal range is important. Some event knocked it out of range so it sounds like if it is too low during the day we have low energy or too high at night then we can't sleep. I also think the low temperature makes us more susceptible to viral reactivations.

Here is the link to the file again this way. If it still doesn't work for you, let me know and we can work something out.

Advanced Logical MethodsFree.pdf

He also has some of the info on his website here but it's very long reading and like I said he uses some HVAC tech trade terms to describe medical functions. :eek::)

Jackdaw

@Judee You are so kind. My fault for lack of clarity; I can't read the file because of my brain! Shame, as it sounds interesting.

Have seen Dr. Was in hospital for a week in March. Seeing other doctors soon and hoping for clarity on whether this is ME only. It started with an infection, in February. Bless you for asking.