• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Metabolic Analysis and other test Results

Hi everybody

I haven't posted on here for a few months. Just haven't felt like it what with stress at work and coming off my antidepressants.

I recently finished following the Methylation Block protocol and I don't feel like it has really improved my condition. There are 120 tabs in a bottle of FolaPro, so I was following the protocol for at least four months. My condition did improve slightly, but it waxes and wanes anyway.

A few weeks ago I played badminton but I really over did, I like to pretend I'm Boris Becker (wrong sport I know, but you get the idea). I have been feeling much worse ever since then, but that is the nature of CFS. Anyway, I digress.

I have been to see a nutritionist and I was referred for some test with Genova Diagnostics. The tests I had were: Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis, Intestinal Permeability, Adrenal Stress Profile and Metabolic Analysis Profile. The final test I chose to have because it is basically about the Krebs Cycle and has the more accurate B12 test in it that they don't do on the NHS.

The good news is they found no parasites, bad bacteria or yeast overgrowth. The bad news is they found hardly any good bacteria either. My E-coli was ok, but my Bifidobacterium were low and Lactobacillus were none existant! No wonder I have so much trouble with my bowels. I have been advised to take a strong probiotic for this. This could have been caused by the many courses of anti-biotics I took when I had a prostate infection a few years ago (That whole infection lasted three years).

The Intestinal Permeability test came back positive, so I have a leaky gut. I am taking L-Glutamine and NAG (N-Acetyl-Glucosamine) for this. This was likely caused by my chronic use of ibuprofen (a NSAID) over the course of many years.

The Adrenal Stress Profile came back positive as well, which is probably a result of being ill for many years and still trying to go to work (part-time), etc. I'm taking some magnesium citramate, panthethine, magnesium ascorbate and some herbal formulations for this.

This brings to the Metabolic Analysis Profile and the Krebs Cycle. My Vitamins A, C, E, B1, B2, B3, B6, B7, B9 (Folic Acid), B12, Magnesium, Manganese, Molybdenum and Zinc were normal. And I should hope so, considering all the B12 and Folate I have been taking! :)

In my Krebs Cycle they found some problems. My Citric Acid level is normal (201) but my cis-Aconitic Acid level is subnormal (8). The units are mmol/mol creatinine. Also. later on in the cycle, my Succinic Acid level is subnormal, as in off the bottom end of the scale subnormal.

In the commentary they give some possible explanations for the subnormal cis-aconitic, it is most likely due to a weakness in the aconitase enzyme. The enzyme requires glutathione and ferrous iron (I'm awaiting the results of an iron test). Aconitase can be inhibited by toxic elements (I'm also awaiting the results of a heavy metal test), fluoride and oxidative stress.

So, it could be that I am low in glutathione, despite taking Vital Whey and following the Methylation Block protocol. I've started taking lipoceutical glutathione, NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine) and L-Selenomethionine to try and further boost it. I tried selenium before, but I took the wrong one (the one derived from yeast). I have the results of a test from over two years ago that said that my glutathione-peroxidase level was low and that I should supplement with selenium. The NAC is giving me some stomach problems and errr noxious smells emanating from certain places, so I have had to leave it off.

Anyway, I thought other people may find this interesting or maybe even helpful in there own quest for better health. Any ideas on the subnormal cis-aconitic acid level would be greatly welcomed. Thanks!

globalpilot

Hi,
Just wanted to touch on the iron issue. If yours indeed does turn out to be low, proferrin is the one I've been taking for a few weeks now. 3 times a day. It coud be coincidental as I have started some otehr things but I've been feeling better than I have in a long time.

GP

No, I had my tests done privately with Genova Diagnostics. They send you the kits, you do the business and then you send the samples back to them. It is quite involved and I found it quite stressful. I think you need a practitioner to refer you, not necessarily a doctor.

I don't think the NHS do these tests. I have somewhat given up on the NHS. I'm having my iron test on the NHS though.

I've had the results of my iron and heavy metal tests and they are both okay. That leaves glutathione deficiency, oxidative stress or fluoride excess as possible causes in my citric acid cycle. I'm going to continue with the Vital Whey and L-Selenomethionine, that should hopefully address the glutathione possibility and I will think about introducing an antioxidant complex such as Biocare Vitaflavan. I think I will continue using fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash for the time being.