Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mestinon – why start with one dose daily and not 4 small dosages?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Betty42, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Betty42

Betty42

Hello

Do anyone know why some doctors recommend starting with one daily dose? My doctor wants me to divide the dosage in 4 daily dosages because of the half-life. He has little experience with Mestinon and I see that most other on this forum start with one dosage and increase to two dosages after a week (+/-). I also see that many uses 4 daily dosages after a while.

I hope anyone can explain the rationale behind the starting dosage when starting with Mestinon.

MEMum likes this.
  2. nsdn

nsdn Senior Member

3-4 daily dosages... when you wake up and then every 3-4 hours.

Betty42, MEMum and Mel9 like this.
  3. RebeccaRe

RebeccaRe Moose Enthusiast

Massachusetts
    When I was on Mestinon I started off by taking it three times a day. The only reason I can imagine why you would only take a single dose in a day is so that your body can slowly get used to the medicine, which might result in fewer side effects? But generally Mestinon is well-tolerated, and I think many people go straight to taking multiple doses a day without any problems. If you only take a single dose, then the medicine would be out of your system by lunchtime.

4. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia
    I think doctors are just trying to ensure the side effects (eg gut pain, nausea, blurry eyes) of Mestinon don’t become too overwhelming early on, so that we can persevere until these side effects disappear.

Btw: I am still learning of interactions between Mestinon and other meds and as a consequence, reduced the number of meds and supplements considerably.

I feel so lucky to respond well to this drug: haven’t felt so good since 2011. By taking it every four hours I now can be quite active every second day (as long as every second day is an almost ‘total rest’ day).

interactions I have discovered to be important for myself:

To stop extreme horrible nausea I had to stop taking Trental. Actually, I was so nauseous I ended up stopping nearly all my supplements (couldn’t keep them down).

At that nauseous stage, The only supplement I could handle was sub-lingual vitB12. When the nausea stopped I realised I didn’t need so many supplements and so put them in my ‘no longer use’ cupboard.

This week, I experienced some gut pain so googled ‘drugs that interfere with Mestinon’. It turned out that I was taking two interfering drugs: Plaquenil and amlodipine, so stopped these. The gut pain went away.

Please note that I am not a medical doctor. I just started following the advice of my own (excellent) doctor (LLD) regarding starting Mestinon slowly and increasing very gradually.
    I then modified my supplements/drugs regime by listening to my own body.

voner, Betty42 and MEMum like this.
  5. JES

JES Senior Member

The half-life of mestinon is 3-4 hours, so your current doctor is more aware than most doctors.

6. Betty42

Betty42

I’m so happy for you Mel9

I guess you are right. The body needs time to adjust to the medication.

Mel9 likes this.
  7. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia

How are you going with the Mestinon @Betty42?

I am now taking 30mg Mestinon every THREE hours, after realising how much I was slowing down in the 4th hour.

I can now walk for almost an hour every second day and no PEM!

Still very careful not to overdo things though.

RebeccaRe likes this.
  8. Betty42

Betty42

Hi

I am increasing the dosage very slowly due to my bad condition. I have decided to increase the dosage with 5 mg every week until I feel my body is more “in balance” (I have been very sick since October. I have some sort of “sympathetic storm” – it’s horrible).

I’m tolerating Mestinon quite well, but I’m only on 25 mg at the moment.

It’s inspiring to hear that you are doing so well! Wish you the best!

See more popular forum discussions.