Volunteer opportunity: Organizing Phoenix Rising articles
This section contains all the articles that have been published by Phoenix Rising over the years. As you will see if you browse here, some of the articles are outdated--either the research has been superseded or retracted or the article features an event or campaign that is now in...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Merileir - Ergospirometry (Cardiopulminary) test question ...?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Bansaw, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

I just come from Himmunitas and Merileir wants me to take the Ergospirometry (Cardiopulmonary Exercise test).
    I tried to get this done in England but didnt have time.
    I sensed that it would be more expensive in the US where I am now, and it is: $6,000! As opposed to $150 in Europe.
    Did you have to take this test, and what CPT code was the test? I've been trying to find out exactly what price and am getting CPT codes quoted at me 93015 and 93017, and these are $10,000 and $6,000 respectively, and I'm not 100% sure of what test I need because tehre are a few CPT codes.

Also, is this test vital?

2. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

@Bansaw - Why not wait until your next visit to take the test? Then it's cheap.

3. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

Thanks, but I am not taking a next visit. I am in the US now, and he's doing a phone consult in a few weeks.

4. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Can you look for a sports clinic, rather than a medical one? They tend to do that sort of testing more routinely, and with less focus on the fancy software and cutting edge equipment that drives up the price.

ryan31337 likes this.
  5. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe
    What justifies that ridiculous price?

6. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I guess you don't have US health insurance?

Valentijn likes this.
  7. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

I do have quite good health insurance actually, in fact it paid for all of Meirleir's tests (even in Europe!). But I have an out-patient allowance of $6500 per year, and thats mostly gone already. My co-pay is very high once that $6500 has been depleted.
    I am wondering if any other Meirleir patients have ommitted this Ergospirometry, and he's done the diagnosis anyway?

8. JadeD

JadeD Senior Member

UK
    Hi Bansaw.

The test only lasted 15 mins or so (I couldn't go on for long due to leg pain). It was just an ecg whilst on an exercise bike with respiratory monitoring. I agree with the above, the high quoted prices must be for more sophisticated tests.

The CPET test is obviously part of his standard work up. I'm sure he can diagnose without it. But it's useful to see how poor your respiratory muscles are (mine are low), and what your aerobic capacity is like plus if there's any underlying cardiac issues which only appear during exertion. He told me it's a useful baseline measure that we won't revisit for another year. Then we can measure improvement over time (hopefully!).

Just explain your situation with KDM during your next consultation.

Bansaw likes this.
  9. Helen

Helen Senior Member

I have, as I wasn´t able to do the test. I can´t see that it had made any difference in my case.

Bansaw likes this.
  10. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Yes, it's not necessary for diagnosis. But it is extremely useful for providing documentation of disability, especially if results are bad enough that mere deconditioning isn't a possibility.

11. unicorn7

unicorn7 Senior Member

I haven't done the ergospirometry, I don't think it makes much of a difference for the treatment. I had one in the past at the sportmedicine department in a normal hospital.
    I would never pay those prices:eek::eek: that's insane:jaw-drop:

See more popular forum discussions.