• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mercury - how much longer?

After 13 years of chronic health problems, such as CFS, scoliosis, nerve damage, hypertension, loss of bowel and bladder function, insomnia, muscle cramps, etc. etc., I eventually discovered they were related to mercury poisoning from having 16 dental amalgam fillings. I had the fillings safely removed last year and began a course of treatment for chelation at a clinic which was recommended to me by others who had been very successfully treated. I had heavy metal levels tested and these showed definite sensitivities to both forms of mercury, tin and nickel, and borderline for several others. I was also diagnosed with dysbiosis.

Due to my location, I cannot have the infusions but have been on the following supplements for the last four months:

Nystatin (anti-fungal)
Branched Chain Amino Acids
Magnesium
Zinc
Selenium
B-Complex
Vit C
Vit D

I have also been on thrice-weekly B12 injections and folic acid for the last 3 years and this made a huge difference to my wellbeing. However, I deteriorated badly at the end of 2010 when I was unwittingly exposed to mercury vapour when I opened a sealed box on my lap which contained a shattered low-energy light-bulb. The daily diary that I keep recorded symptoms from 6 days after this and these were pains in my right-hand side underarm and hip, sudden serious hypertension, followed by nausea and vomiting and this went on for months. I also lost strength in my legs which has further reduced my mobility.

I recently had the first set of repeat blood tests and these showed that organic mercury has reduced a bit, tin and nickel are substantially reduced but inorganic mercury had risen considerably. It was explained to me that this is likely due to the mercury being shifted around but not yet excreted. Mitochondrial function had improved a bit too. Generally, it all looks like it is going in the right direction - so why do I feel so awful?

The first few months were hard going due to trying to tolerate the anti-fungal medicine but I got there and have been managing the highest dose well. The furry tongue has gone. I can't say I felt any particular overall improvement but my appetite seemed to be a bit better. However, the last few weeks have been difficult and I'm back to feeling nauseated, dizzy, tired (but can't sleep), headachey, sore back and am full of gas. Are these continuing detox symptoms and am I being unrealistic about expecting to feel better at this stage? I keep reading that detox symptoms should only last a few weeks at their worst.

I had also been put on the dreaded detox diet but couldn't last on it and relaxed it a bit. However, I feel I am eating well and keeping sugar and carbohydrates to a minimum. I have every faith in the doctor I am seeing and know she has much worse cases than me and I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that what I'm experiencing is normal and to keep soldiering on.

Thanks.

richvank

Hi, Andrea.

You might consider switching the folic acid to either folinic acid or 5-methyl tetrahydrofolate. Folic acid is a synthetic, oxidized form of folate that some people are not able to convert to the useful forms very well.

You might also consider getting the Health Diagnostics and Research Institute methylation pathways panel run to see what the status is of your methylation cycle, folate metabolism and glutathione. It requires an order from a physician or a chiropracter, and costs $295. Contact information is pasted below. If you would like some background on this, you can find it in the video and slides at http://iaomt.media.fnf.nu/2/skovde_2011_me_kroniskt_trotthetssyndrom/$%7Bweburl%7D

Methylation Pathways Panel

This panel will indicate whether a person has a partial methylation cycle block and/or glutathione depletion. I recommend that this panel be run before deciding whether to consider treatment for lifting the methylation cycle block. I am not associated with the lab that offers this panel.

The panel requires an order from a physician or a chiropractor. The best way to order the panel is by fax, on a clinicians letterhead.

Available from:

Health Diagnostics and Research Institute
540 Bordentown Avenue, Suite 2300
South Amboy, NJ 08879
USA
Phone: (732) 721-1234
Fax: (732) 525-3288

Lab Director: Elizabeth Valentine, M.D.

Dr. Tapan Audhya, Ph.D., is willing to help clinicians with interpretation of the panel by phone.

Rich

Crux

Hi Andrea M ;

I wonder if with chelation, some of the electrolytes have also been flushed away. Some of the remaining symptoms may indicate this. The nausea and gas may be due to lowered chlorides, which can result in lowered stomach acid. The headache, insomnia, tired/wired feeling, sore back (muscles?), may be from lowered potassium. Some types of dizziness can be from low sodium and chloride.

I bring this up because these symptoms are what I've had when electrolytes are low. I've gotten them from detoxing, as side effects from certain meds., and even from certain supplements. It's terribly difficult to find which is disturbing what. I feel for you, and I wish I could pop the answer.

Hi Rich,

Thanks so much for your quick response. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I am in the UK!

My glutathione level was depleted and blood tests in Sep 11 and February 12 show the following:
(Latest results are in red):

Superoxide Dismutase: 38 (>40) 40
Zinc/CopperSOD: 220 (240-410) 240
ExtraCellularSOD: 20 (28-70) 32

Gene Studies

Zinc/CopperSOD: (Chromosome 21) Low enzyme activity - Low normal
MnSOD: (Chromosome 6) Normal enzyme activity
ExtraCellularSOD: (Chromosome 4) Low enzyme activity - Normal

Red Cell Glutathione Peroxidase: 62 (67-90) 70
Red Cell Gluthathione: 1.55 (1.7-2.6) 1.85

Glutathione-S-Transferase

Serum: 42 (12-46) 36
Red Cells: 220 (68-167) 184
Comments: Two discrete enzyme bands that account for 22% and 7% of the total. The 22% band is mercury and tin associated and the 7% band is nickel associated. (One discrete enzyme band which accounts for 10% of the total. The eluted enzyme is mercury associated).

Mitochondrial Clumping: 6.9 (6.8-7.4) 7
Mitochondrial membrane binding - Trace of Aldehydes (None)

Chemical on TL Sites

Nickel Complex - Hg and Ni-actin binding that lowers the normal cell motility. (No TL blocking. Hg-actin binding. Less than in the previous test).

Heavy Metals

Normal <100, Borderline 100-200, Definite Sensitivity >200

Mercury (organic) 240 (165)
Mercury (inorganic) 210 (270)
Nickel 380 (220)
Tin 170 (100)
Molybdenum 170 (130)
Chromium (VI) 210 (160)

As you can see, things are improved but I don't feel any better. Can I expect to feel like this until all the mercury is gone?

I did try active folate but did not do at all well on it. All my symptoms came back within weeks so I had to switch back to folic acid and improved again.

Hi Crux,

That sounds quite possible. As you say, it is very difficult to find out if that is the case and which one is causing the problem. I suppose potassium might be the culprit, especially since I was not to eat bananas as part of the detox diet. Lowered stomach acid has been an ongoing problem for me and I do feel a little better when I take a drink of fresh lemon juice in hot water.

Crux

Hi Andrea M ;

Many of us have been comparing various potassium compounds that we take. Many of us have found that oftentimes with increased supplementation, we need to counterbalance with potassium. Although there are many foods with large amounts of it, and I do seek them out, I still supplement. The causes for me, in addition to "dodgy DNA", are cortisol replacement, and even B12/Folate. Even though I'm very needful of the B12/Folate, I have had to increase potassium intake when I increase my intake of them. I'm learning to relax somewhat with this process, even though it confuses me.

It may be worth some investigation here, the thread that Freddd started called WARNING:LOW POTASSIUM.....

People are experimenting with taking various amounts at various times. Most are averaging between 1000-2000 mgs. daily in divided doses, usually 500 mgs. or less at a time. Some people have found that if they take too much at a time, they have some abdominal discomfort and diahrrea. ( I have trouble with constipation, it is very helpful for that.)

I understand that fermented foods are limited with anti-candida diets, but some salty pickles may help with nausea. I think that may be why women in pregnancy crave them. The acetic acid as well as the chloride help nausea and digestion. I really like "Bubbies" pickles. They are naturally fermented.

brenda

Hi Andrea

Some people have found Andy Cutlers post amalgam mercury chelation protocol helped more then others . I dont know whether you have come across it.

http://www.noamalgam.com/

I am in the UK and looking for a dentist to take out my last 2 amalgams. I am thinking that I should do it before starting the methylation protocol.

Brenda

chilove

Crux, I also love Bubbies pickles and they have live beneficial cultures in them.. so does Bubbies saurkraut, which is delicious!

xrunner