• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mental 'blankness'

outdamnspot

I recall that in a presentation Dr de Meirleir gave, he correlated one of the overgrowths or undergrowths (which, exactly, escapes me) with mental 'spaciness' or 'blankness'.

Ever since I went onto Symbioflor 2 a couple of months ago, I have noticed specific cognitive problems: particularly a kind of perturbing 'blankness' that makes processing information (e.g. text, TV shows etc.) difficult.

Curiously, I then did a course of Haritaki which robustly improved my physical health but seemed to exacerbate the cognitive problems: Haritaki kills E.Coli (amongst other things), so it seems odd that both Symbioflor (an E. Coli probiotic) and Haritaki produced similar symptoms.

I've noticed now that even when I am not taking anything, the symptoms persist. Shilajit, a herb that reduces serotonin/increases dopamine, fixes the issue, but can worsen my mood and insomnia.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

outdamnspot

I decided to try the Symbioflor 2 again, after several short courses of different herbs that purportedly help kill Strep.

I had a week of rather welcome euphoria, improved mood, sleep etc; however, it also crashed my adrenals. The mood effects have worn off, but it's still making me quite weak, whereas I felt revved up but a lot physically stronger last time (which may have been a herx?).