• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Menopause and Methylation

LaurieL

Alrighty ladies......anyone doing methylation, and go through menopause at the same time? I am at that age, and find myself going through both now. Would like to hear others experiences.

LaurieL

MMe

I'm still waiting for my 23andme results. As soon as I get them (and understand them ;)), I will start a methylation protocol. Based on the results of a recent blood/urinetest I've posted on this forum, Valentijn suggested a MAO problem.

Bloodtests showed low estrogen, low progesteron. I'm definitely going through perimenopause.
The hormonal imbalance completely knocked me down.
My symptoms are: anxiety, depression, IC, acne, dry skin, itchy armpits/skin.

I've had a 'brainscreen' (blood, urine) a few weeks ago which showed very low omega 3 and b6, elevated norepinephrine and metanefrine.

Since supplementing with fish oil and a vitamin b complex (low dose), I've had more 'good' days than bad days...:)

But still waiting to start a real methylation protocol...

LaurieL

My Gawd!!! I need some input on hot flashes. I can't decide if these are actually hot flashes or detox. I go from hot flash, to chill. Can't find a rhyme or reason, sometimes it happens all day and night, sometimes just day only, and sometimes just all night. I woke up because I was sweating, and now I am shivering. Ugh. These didn't start until I starting mucking around with my detox SNP's, and supplementing those. I have been taking sublingual SOD. I even went through a hormonal PMS type of mentality and some of the physical symptoms I used to have, but no menses.

What have you associated with hot flashes and what did you supplement?

sianrecovery

Hi Lauriel

I think you responded to a post of mine on oestrogen a few days back. I am in the perimenpause and have tested both very low and very high for oestrogen. But I have never had a hot flush...so are you doing a methylation protocol? It seems so far to have enormously eased my hormonal related dips and symptoms. Do you think that perhaps you are getting flushes now because you have kickstarted the system?

MMe

Sianrecovery, do you really mean that doing a methylation protocol eased your hormonal dips?
I'm still reading and searching where to start, but your words give me some hope...;)

Are there any perimenopause related things/advice I should consider before/while doing a methylation protocol?

For me the anxiety, depressed feelings and racing thoughts are the worst... (I have MAO +/+ and COMT +/+)
It seems I have to adress ACAT first, then CBS...

Thanks for your advice! :)

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I went through methylation protocol and menopause at the same time. However I have always been taking high dose B supplements since babyhood - I believe I may be a high functioning autistic and my mother started me on vitamins in self defense since I was so sickly. So even though they were not the active forms they did help me to some degree.

The second thing is that my menopause symptoms were such that not only would I not be able to function AT ALL (forever panic attack) but also were life threatening (Stage 3 hypertension even WITH lots of pills that lower b.p.!). So I had to investigate hormone replacement and I found the DHEA fix almost right away. Well, that is not true, I suffered extremely high b.p. for about 6 months before I fixed it but I had not gotton to he high anxiety/panic until the last 3 days of that by which time I had an idea what to do and "in a panic" initiated DHEA which fixed it. I took 50mg and everything sorted itself out for me - bam - in 15 minutes.

I only suffer "hot flashes" when I have low blood sugar. DHEA prevents low blood sugar problems for me. I suffered "hot flashes" my whole life if I got a low blood sugar attack. Low blood sugar symptoms are exactly the same as panic symptoms the only difference being whether they are fixed by sugar. There is an adrenal connection here and I can't quite put my finger on it. But there is an adrenal hormone required to get your liver to break down glycogen. Rhodiola helped me raise glycogen and be impervious to this at first. (in my 40s) But after 50 it took DHEA to prevent this. (Under 40 it merely took eating protein at breakfast to stabilize blood sugar).

I want to mention that there is a DHEA:cortisol ratio that govers how much stress (cortisol) you can tolerate. Your DHEA peaks at age 30 and afterward starts to wane but your cortisol is the same as ever unless you do something to effect it. Raised cortisol, relative to DHEA, melts muscle (causes muscle degeneration). DHEA is a steriod and it binds with the cortico-steroid receptor sites - those that interact with cortisol...making you oblivious to cortisol (stress). Alternately PS lowers cortisol, protecting muscles that way. idk if PS helps glycogen stores ...it requires potassium to raise glycogen stores and another adrenal hormone - aldosterone - causes potassium loss. I just read these articles and have no assimilated them yet.

I take 1g d-alpha-tocopherol - have done so my whole life (don't do as I do w/o reading up on gamma tocopherol) and had read - not a study but nutritionist info which I never verified - that breast tenderness can be prevented by Vitamin E and I almost never had that problem so maybe that was true. If any of that helps.

I did not notice any effect of methylation on any menopausal symptom except joint pain.