• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Melatonin problems

I have had terrible insomnia for years. This past October, I was given a melatonin supplement. It also contained 5-HTP and GABA. It helped me fall asleep a bit earlier and a lot more quickly. After a few days I had more energy and didn't feel so exhausted. But the next day I felt bad (a lot of pain I had not experienced in a long time) and general malaise. The next day it was worse, and even worse the day After that, so I chose to stop taking the supplement. Ever since then, I have been 10 times as exhausted during the day even though I am getting the same amount of sleep. And I pain I got rid of a long time ago is back. Does anyone know why this may have happened?

adreno

PR activist
The only thing I can think of, is that 5-HT(P) drives the HPA axis. When this stimulation is suddenly removed, cortisol release may drop. Do you know your present cortisol levels?

Actually they have been higher lately than I have had normally in the past. Not out of range, but a lot higher. The thing is, the symptoms started while I was using the supplement, not after I withdrew it. The worst of it dissipated after a while, but my energy level has not come back to where it was previously (which wasn't exactly good before).

adreno

PR activist
Actually they have been higher lately than I have had normally in the past. Not out of range, but a lot higher. The thing is, the symptoms started while I was using the supplement, not after I withdrew it. The worst of it dissipated after a while, but my energy level has not come back to where it was previously (which wasn't exactly good before).
How about your DHEA? If your cortisol : DHEA ratio is high, it might be a problem.

I am not sure about it. I will have to check and see if I have recent labs. If not, I'll ask my dr about it. I have to go soon to review some other labs.

I looked and my DHEA was in normal range. I don't know the correct ratio of cortisol/DHEA tho. My adrenals were on the higher end of the normal range. They were a lot lower when I was previously tested (about 3 months). I don't know why the sudden change. I have a lot more fatigue than I did at the previous test, so maybe they are working harder? I don't know if that is a pre-cursor to them burning out or just that it was a normal fluctuation. Both tests were done at a similar time of day.