The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Melatonin problems

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by danceintherain, Mar 11, 2015.

1. danceintherain

danceintherain

I have had terrible insomnia for years. This past October, I was given a melatonin supplement. It also contained 5-HTP and GABA. It helped me fall asleep a bit earlier and a lot more quickly. After a few days I had more energy and didn't feel so exhausted. But the next day I felt bad (a lot of pain I had not experienced in a long time) and general malaise. The next day it was worse, and even worse the day After that, so I chose to stop taking the supplement. Ever since then, I have been 10 times as exhausted during the day even though I am getting the same amount of sleep. And I pain I got rid of a long time ago is back. Does anyone know why this may have happened?

oceiv likes this.
  2. adreno

adreno PR activist

The only thing I can think of, is that 5-HT(P) drives the HPA axis. When this stimulation is suddenly removed, cortisol release may drop. Do you know your present cortisol levels?

oceiv likes this.
  3. danceintherain

danceintherain

Actually they have been higher lately than I have had normally in the past. Not out of range, but a lot higher. The thing is, the symptoms started while I was using the supplement, not after I withdrew it. The worst of it dissipated after a while, but my energy level has not come back to where it was previously (which wasn't exactly good before).

oceiv likes this.
  4. adreno

adreno PR activist

How about your DHEA? If your cortisol : DHEA ratio is high, it might be a problem.

5. danceintherain

danceintherain

I am not sure about it. I will have to check and see if I have recent labs. If not, I'll ask my dr about it. I have to go soon to review some other labs.

6. danceintherain

danceintherain

I looked and my DHEA was in normal range. I don't know the correct ratio of cortisol/DHEA tho. My adrenals were on the higher end of the normal range. They were a lot lower when I was previously tested (about 3 months). I don't know why the sudden change. I have a lot more fatigue than I did at the previous test, so maybe they are working harder? I don't know if that is a pre-cursor to them burning out or just that it was a normal fluctuation. Both tests were done at a similar time of day.

See more popular forum discussions.