• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Medscape perspective on Managing SEID

Sidereal

The author says:

What do I do in my office? Simon Wessely and colleagues,[5] who did a fair amount of work on chronic fatigue syndrome and Gulf War syndrome, and others[6,7] have suggested that graded exercises, conditioning to build up tolerance, and cognitive-behavioral therapy are some of the best strategies to help people feel better. There is a lot of discussion about medication trials. But I believe that until we reach a better understanding, this syndrome is very difficult to appreciate.

Sidereal

Dr. James Weber Pediatrics, General

Systemic Exertion Intolerance Disease !!!!! This new name is hilarious !! It is so american ....I'm allergic to exercise , I'm fat because I have a disease , I know I weigh 300# but my knees hurt , I can't possibly work [but I can play hockey on the weekends ] . This new name/malady has provided much laughter for an otherwise dull day !!! Thanks

A.B.

I wonder whether these doctors realize that they're hating, and discriminating against, a vulnerable minority group.

I guess racism, religious intolerance, and discrimination against gays is no longer socially acceptable. Who else is left? Ah yes, those lazy patients with imaginary diseases.

Denise

It also seems he sticks to the "party line" of the Infectious Disease Society of America on Lyme (that it can't be chronic).

peggy-sue

My gp was dictating a letter about me to a urologist (nothing to do with ME, I peed a load of blood one morning).

In it, he described me as being; "A highly educated lady in her mid-50s..."

I did suspect that was gp slang for; "pain in the ar*e who actually knows something, be careful". :thumbsup:

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
In it, he described me as being; "A highly educated lady in her mid-50s..."
Sweet of him but what does being highly educated have to do with peeing blood?
I was once described as "interesting" :rolleyes: who knows what that meant.
That's never meant as a compliment. Take it for me, I can be interesting, too. :hug:

I was one described as a very pleasant, young lady woman. Of course, that was a while ago. :whistle:

[Edited: no one has ever described me as a lady. I don't know what I was thinking]

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter

Depressing article, @Mij, but I'm glad you posted it.

In the article above, the doctor says:
It’s almost as if the only cure for that lack of empathy is either be a patient or be the loved one of a patient.

Sad, but mostly true. There's an old saying, "Nothing ever happens until it happens to you."

PS. Oops, this is a bit of a tangent. I have not yet read the Medscape article in the first post.

Antares in NYC

Dr Weber keeps a low profile. A google search didn't turn up anything.
In the Internet, anyone can be a "doctor". His trolling is so unprofessional and insulting I doubt he really is an MD. It sounds like someone with serious hate for people with Cfs, or obese people, or Americans.
Is there a way to flag that comment to Medscape on the grounds of utter douchebaggery?

Last edited:

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
I just managed to read the Medscape article. Pretty useless, in my view.

But Kati in the comments (I think that's the same person as @Kati on these forums?) posted good comments. So maybe that will help sway some folks reading the article who are unsure. She even got a response from the editor about the error in the title (saying Exercise instead of Exertion). So that was nice!

However, if the "exercise" instead of "exertion" was only a headline error, then why did the author also make the same mistake in the body of the article? I did not view the video so I don't know whether the author also said the wrong word or whether it was a spell check or editorial correction.

At any rate, I don't think the article provides any useful information at all for folks on this forum. Just my two cents.

Kati

Patient in training
I just managed to read the Medscape article. Pretty useless, in my view.

But Kati in the comments (I think that's the same person as @Kati on these forums?) posted good comments. So maybe that will help sway some folks reading the article who are unsure. She even got a response from the editor about the error in the title (saying Exercise instead of Exertion). So that was nice!

However, if the "exercise" instead of "exertion" was only a headline error, then why did the author also make the same mistake in the body of the article? I did not view the video so I don't know whether the author also said the wrong word or whether it was a spell check or editorial correction.

At any rate, I don't think the article provides any useful information at all for folks on this forum. Just my two cents.
Yes this is my comments over there. I have discovered the 'report' button and so I have flagged some comments as offensive. Hopefully that helps.

Gamboa

I subscribe to Medscape and get the Weekly Report, a collection of the top articles, usually about 30 articles covering a wide range of topics. The subject of this thread was in this weeks collection so it is now out there for many more people to see as opposed to being just under the "Infectious Disease" category it was under or under CFS for those who had tagged that as a topic of interest.

I finally looked at it and thought it was quite atrocious. How could this have gotten onto Medscape? The doctor commenting was talking about "Dr Simon Wessley and colleagues" with reverence and respect!! He mentioned GET and CBT!! Who is this doctor who made this short clip and why couldn't we have had someone like Dr. Montoya, Dr. Klimas, Dr. Lipkin, ......and the list goes on.

And, as usual, the troll Dr. Weber was commenting. Perhaps we should all just respond with the words "troll" every time he comments and not lead him into any debates. That might just shut him up. At the moment he is enjoying getting everyone riled up and upset. Ignoring him might be the answer.

I also made a number of comments but I'm not sure whether that is good since we don't want this article/video clip to become popular. The less it is seen the better.