• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Medscape ME/cfs Case study

Kati

Patient in training
Medscape published a case study today, called
A 35-Year-Old Woman With Fatigue and Joint Pain

http://reference.medscape.com/viewarticle/842828_5

You need to sign up (free) with them to view the case study.

I must say that once the author started discussing treatment plans (CBT, GET, bed rest not an option) I stopped reading.

By all means let us know if you manage to read till the end. Usually Medscape has an open discussion, so comments from patients showing them the science would be welcome.

Edit: seemingly this case study is not new since there are comments from 2015, but somehow it made my google alert today and a couple of people commented. Weird.

Last edited:

Hutan

The case study has been revised.
In response to user comments, this case was updated with additional information to clarify the diagnostic approach.

I remember commenting on the original version here on PR. I'll try and find the thread sometime and see what has changed. And write a comment in Medscape if I can find some enthusiasm and energy.

I thought maybe this new version was better until I got to the treatment section. It's a bit depressing.

Edit. Looks like my 2015 post was on the Health Rising forum. From that post:
Despite a number of clinical clues that are left unexplored that might lead to a different diagnosis, the correct answer to the case is given as CFS. The article is not the worst of the kind but it does have quite a lot of misinformation e.g. CBT is the only treatment covered and there is an implication that the majority of people with CFS have major depression. The CFS patient is described as obese, with personal hygiene issues and having a history of unprotected promiscuous sex.

Last edited:

Kati

Patient in training
One of the last comment from 2015 referred to Edward Shorter's book, which goes to say how much influence the psych lobby still has on all of them doctors, especially here in Canada.