• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

medications to help rest and relax

alice111

Hi all,

I would like to put together a list of medications to help rest and relax for those of us dealing with wired anxiety. I am aware of @Hip 's list of supplements (thank you so much for putting that together and sharing!), however unfortunately I have yet to have success with natural supplements.. and i'm assuming there are others out there who are in the same boat.

Obviously "band aid" medications are not the best solution, and getting to the root cause of the wired anxiety would be ideal.. but in the meantime in order to keep sane, and to keep from crashing I think it's essential to find something that can help us rest!

so, if you could share any sedating medications that you have found work pleeeeeaaaaassseee post them!

I will start this off with my "go-tos"

prescription:
-xanax
-ativan
-clonazepam
-tramadol (this is for pain, but I find it is also tranquilizing)

non prescription:
-benadryl
-gravol
-12drops of rum in juice

***side notes ***
-I only take about 1/4 pill of anything listed above
-these don't always work for me, especially if i take two days in a row..
-I have found it's best to rotate

Hip

It's perhaps worth mentioning that there are a few Russian drugs which are anxiolytics. See the list here. I have not had any experience with these, but I may try one or two of them at some point. (Some other Russian pharmacies here, here and here).

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
You can get phenibut on Ebay. That has the same issues as any benzo. Good in a pinch. I found a Bulgarian benzo gerodorm from Brand medicine that works. They have an antihistamine Antiallersin which I have but have not tried yet.

OTC anthistamines doxylamine and the generic for Chlortrimeton on Amazon.

Pharmashipping has Ketotifin and antihistamine for cheap. Their shipping is $10.

Some have good luck with Baclofen but it amps me up. All trial and error.

Some of the benzos on the sites Hip gave you you have to watch. One, I think Grandaxin is a stimulating benzo.

I have taken Etizolam but I had side effects from it. I got that for cheap in the US.

Hip

There are a quite a few bad reports with phenibut (search for "phenibut casualty"), so be a bit careful with that one. Some find it's got worse withdrawal symptoms that benzodiazepines, and yet is available as a supplement.

@minkeygirl
How do you yourself take phenibut, just for short periods of a few days, as and when needed?

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi all,

I would like to put together a list of medications to help rest and relax for those of us dealing with wired anxiety. I am aware of @Hip 's list of supplements (thank you so much for putting that together and sharing!), however unfortunately I have yet to have success with natural supplements.. and i'm assuming there are others out there who are in the same boat.

Obviously "band aid" medications are not the best solution, and getting to the root cause of the wired anxiety would be ideal.. but in the meantime in order to keep sane, and to keep from crashing I think it's essential to find something that can help us rest!

so, if you could share any sedating medications that you have found work pleeeeeaaaaassseee post them!

I will start this off with my "go-tos"

prescription:
-xanax
-ativan
-clonazepam
-tramadol (this is for pain, but I find it is also tranquilizing)

non prescription:
-benadryl
-gravol
-12drops of rum in juice

***side notes ***
-I only take about 1/4 pill of anything listed above
-these don't always work for me, especially if i take two days in a row..
-I have found it's best to rotate

Have you ever had your cortisol levels tested? If they are chronically high this will create the wired but tired feeling which nothing really alleviates. Seriphos (OTC - phosphorylated serine) is fabulous for normalizing high cortisol levels. Niacin is also good for activating or sensitizing GABA receptors and calming you down, and also makes things like l-theanine work better. So the natural supps might not help if you haven't addressed cortisol issues. Adrenal stress index test is the best for checking cortisol levels. And I never knew how effective niacin could be, after years and years of trying so many things - I thought I had tried everything.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
There are a quite a few bad reports with phenibut (search for "phenibut casualty"), so be a bit careful with that one. Some find it's got worse withdrawal symptoms that benzodiazepines, and yet is available as a supplement.

@minkeygirl
How do you yourself take phenibut, just for short periods of a few days, as and when needed?

I found I needed about 3000mg before it worked and it did leave me sedated the next day almost like it gets a second wind. I only used it occasionally, tolerance occurs quicker than benzos.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.

@minkeygirl

Anxiety is generally not an issue for me so I take it maybe once a month if something is going on. The bottle specifically says don't take it for more than 3 days in a row. And I take about 2000 mgs to take the edge off.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Primaforce-...ary_Supplements_Nutrition&hash=item3f2c4a862f

Hip

Some of the benzos on the sites Hip gave you you have to watch. One, I think Grandaxin is a stimulating benzo.

That's good to know, @minkeygirl. I did not realize that Grandaxin (tofisopam) is a benzodiazepine.

Though many of the Russian anti-anxiety drugs are nootropic type pharmaceuticals, which enhance cognition. Nootropics generally have excellent safety and tolerance profiles.

Here are some of the Russian nootropics with anti-anxiety action:

Selank — Russian nootropic drug with anti-anxiety properties. Also has some stimulatory effects, and has hypnosedative and muscle relaxant properties.

Semax — Russian nootropic drug with anti-anxiety properties. Helps repair the brain after stroke. Increases verbal fluency. Unfortunately it is a bit expensive.

Tenoten — Russian nootropic drug with anti-anxiety properties. Reduces anxiety, fear, irritability & emotional liability. Mechanism: antibodies against S-100 protein at ultra-low doses exert GABA-mimetic and neurotrophic actions, up-regulate stress-limiting systems, contribute to the restoration of neuroplasticity.

Mebicar (Adaptol) — Russian drug with anti-anxiety properties. Helps ADHD. Mebicar has an effect on the structure of limbic-reticular activity, particularly on hypothalamus emotional zone, as well as on all 4 basic neuromediator systems – γ aminobutyric acid (GASS), choline, serotonin and adrenergic activity. Mebicar decreases the brain noradrenaline level, exerts no effect on the dopaminergic systems, increases the brain serotonin level, and does not elicit cholinolytic action.

Bromantan (Ladasten) — Russian drug. Novel in that it is both a stimulant, and has anti-anxiety properties at the same time. Works by inhibiting the reuptake of both dopamine and serotonin in the brain. Eliminates daytime sleepiness, increased activity, improves concentration and both physical & mental performance.

Menthyl valerate (Validol) — Russian drug with anti-anxiety properties. Vasodilator, lowering blood pressure. Stimulates endorphins. Sublingual tablets work in under 5 minutes. Take 1 Validol tablet 2 to 3 times daily. Non habit forming. In prolonged use may cause light nausea, dizziness, and tearing of the eyes which fade away with discontinuation. Possible manifestation of hypersensitivity.

Some other nootropics that have anti-anxiety effects:

Aniracetam — can reduce reduce anxiety, fear, depression (antidepressant).

Fasoracetam (aka: NS-105 and LAM-105) — antidepressant, anti-anxiety, and ADHD research.

Sunifiram — reduces anxiety and improves memory and mood. Activates AMPA receptors. Sunifiram should be taken in dosed of 5-15 mg, and should be either cycled, or used only on occasion.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
yah I did some research on that. I think it's the only stimulating benzo.

I haven't tried other nootropes yet. If it says enhanced cognition there is a likelihood I will feel like I'm on speed. I don't have the money to experiment right now.

Tired of being sick

Amitriptyline is the best for putting you out cold..

Only med on this Earth capable of knocking me out when needed which is every night..

However if you have POTS or any form of dysautonomia for that matter..

Amitripyline will make the symptoms of POTS worse, especially the tachycardia.

Because of this I had to quit Amitriptyline..

Now my sleep is basically 90+% REM sleep..

My dreams are so often that they are causing basically a whole other unreal life..

Although I have to admit,my life in the dream state is a lot better quality than my real one....

Hip

Other classes of drugs that have anti-anxiety effects are:

Benzodiazepines
Selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors (SSRI)
Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRI)
Norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitors (NDRI)
Tricyclic antidepressants (TCA)
Anticonvulsants
Beta blockers

Some specific drug examples from the above drug classes having anti-anxiety effects:

Elavil (amitriptyline) — TCA drug
Stablon (tianeptine) — TCA drug, but also acts as a selective serotonin reuptake enhancer (SSRE).
Effexor (venlafaxine) — SNRI drug
Lexapro (escitalopram‎) — SSRI drug
Wellbutrin (bupropion) — NDRI drug (but Wellbutrin's dopamine reuptake inhibition is very weak, so it is more of a NRI).
Lyrica (pregabalin) — anticonvulsant drug
Lamictal (lamotrigine) — anticonvulsant drug
Gabapentin (Neurontin) — anticonvulsant drug (and a GABA analogue)
Inderal (propranolol) – beta blocker drug

Some other anti-anxiety drugs:

Buspar (buspirone) — azapirone drug
Valdoxan (agomelatine) — melatonergic drug

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
You can't make a blanket statement that a certain class of drug will relax you. I've taken most of what you have said and was unable to take a lot of then for one reason or another.

Effexor was like speed for me. So is Wellbutrin

I take propranalol daily and it doesn't knock me out.

If there is one thing we know, we don't know what will do what to us. You have to try everything to see how it works for you.

Hip

You can't make a blanket statement that a certain class of drug will relax you. I've taken most of what you have said and was unable to take a lot of then for one reason or another.

Of course you can. Drugs are always classified in these sort of ways. When studies find a certain class of drugs has anti-anxiety effects, then you consider that class to be anxiolytic. All the drug classes listed in my above post have been shown to have anxiolytic properties.

OK a particular drug or particular class of drugs may not work for certain people; however that does not change the fact that in general, that drug or drug class possesses anxiolytic properties.

For example, I tried an SSRI drug called citalopram a few years back to see if it would help my depression and anxiety, which are two conditions this drug is used to treat. Within an hour or so of taking citalopram, my depression was severely worsened, it was horrendous, and this lasted a good 12 hours or so, until the drug was out of my system. But the fact that this SSRI made my depression worse does not change the fact that SSRIs in general can be helpful for depression.

Last edited:

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
good old fashioned valium for me. I split a 2mg into quarters and take when travelling or if going to a busy place like a museum or if having a really bad day like today. only a tiny dose. I try not to take it more than two days in a row - this week its been three days, but I may not use it now for another month or so.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Mary , Do you know if the same is true of the niacinamide form?

I don't know. I do know I took one brand of niacinamide for a long time with no apparent results and when I started taking niacin, which makes me flush, my sleep improved immediately. Actually I had to stop taking niacin in the morning because it made me tired - I think too much GABA. But it's great at night, I take it after dinner and before bed.

I never had this result with niacinamide. It could have been an ineffective brand, or it just doesn't work the same.

alice111

@Mary
Have you ever had your cortisol levels tested? If they are chronically high this will create the wired but tired feeling which nothing really alleviates. Seriphos (OTC - phosphorylated serine) is fabulous for normalizing high cortisol levels. Niacin is also good for activating or sensitizing GABA receptors and calming you down, and also makes things like l-theanine work better. So the natural supps might not help if you haven't addressed cortisol issues. Adrenal stress index test is the best for checking cortisol levels. And I never knew how effective niacin could be, after years and years of trying so many things - I thought I had tried everything.

I am actually currently on cortef. do you think that this could suggest I am on too much?? I have been really confused because a lot of sources say that anxiety is from low cortisol... ?

Mary

Moderator Resource
If you are on cortef, your doctor should keep track of your cortisol levels to make sure they don't go too high. I think anxiety can be associated with both low and high cortisol though I've always heard of it more in connection with high cortisol. I'd definitely stay on top of your cortisol levels because of the cortef.

Seriphos helped me a lot when my cortisol was elevated but after several months started to make me tired (but not wired) and I realized that over time it had caused my cortisol to go too low and I had to cut my dose. So it worked really well and then had to be adjusted. I would suspect the same might be true of cortef, having to adjust the dosage from time to time as your cortisol levels change.