• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

measles twice anyone

alex3619

Shingles is treatable if you get to a doctor fast, iirc. Anyone waiting too long will not be treatable. I think the treatment is a short course of antiviral.

We possibly have a high death rate in our immune cells. This includes memory B cells, I think. So we could easily lose immunity over time, or fail to develop immunity from a vaccination.

I have had measles encephalitis. Getting measles twice, if it happens, needs to be watched carefully, and is a crisis if it goes to the brain. The death rate of measles encephalitis is about 50%, and 25% more get brain damage, and I am not convinced the remaining quarter get away from consequences.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
well im quite sure its shingles. I generally do a 10 day course of famvir when i have my normal cmv viral symptoms. Tuesday i didnt feel right and didnt seem my normal cmv stuff but started famvir than. I think im lucky i did as its starting to scab up like shingle rashes do. I increased the dose last night when i saw the rash too which i think helped.
Still got a good headache but now my temp is normal and heart rate is back to normal. the rash itself isnt too bad really but who knows what the dam virus is doing in my head, its been playing games with me the last few days thats for sure.

Old people are suppose to get shingles, not me.

Gingergrrl

@heapsreal I am so sorry you are going through all this, whatever it turns out to be. In my own case, I test positive IgM for VZV (from July 2014 to the present) but I have never had shingles. I had chickenpox once at age 11. I was vaccinated twice for MMR (when I was younger and healthy) and never had any of those illnesses. I am hoping the Famvir helps and you feel better REALLY soon. :hug:

heapsreal

I got tested for VZV 9 months ago as i wanted to know if i produce antibodies, with ebv i dont produce antibodies so wanted to see if this was any different. The test came back positive and said that it shows i have good immunity to VZV?? Did it slip through because of my low nk function and neutropenia??
Im on immunovir at the moment, so it didnt fully protect me from shingles either?

barbc56

Edit to my former post but thought I would post it here since we are on page two.

It should have read that I thought some people can get shingles/chicken pox if you are around someone who just got the vaccination as they are shedding the virus. But I'm not sure if that is true.

When I was pregnant, I had a blood test that showed I had measles as a child but not the German measles ( rubella). I was teaching at the time and was worried I would get rubella as it causes birth defects.

@heapsreal Hope you are feeling better soon.

Barb

SOC

:eek: I had shingles twice (or was it 3 times?) during my worst few years. Old people get it because their immune systems are beginning to weaken and can't keep varicella in check. With our immune problems, it's not surprising that we get shingles at a relatively early age.

barbc56

Looks like you can get shingles from somone recently vaccinated for chicken pox but it's quite rare for this to happen.

heapsreal

:eek: I had shingles twice (or was it 3 times?) during my worst few years. Old people get it because their immune systems are beginning to weaken and can't keep varicella in check. With our immune problems, it's not surprising that we get shingles at a relatively early age.

it use to scare the crap out of me thinking i would get shingles because of how bad i got chickenpox as well as the thought of getting anywhere on the head. Lucky, i think i took the antivirals the day it started before even the rash came out. Have to make sure i always have famvir on hand. It sort of tells me the immunovir didnt do much although could have been worse maybe?

I have some strong pain killers which i have had in the medicine cupboard for awhile i had for back problems. good pain relief is suppose to reduce nerve damage, i hope?? so i guess u can say im intoxicated today woohoo.

I have read people still getting shingles vaccines after having an episode as it supposedly helps prevent further reactivations. Any thoughts?

You would think that if u had shingles once and had a good immune system than you would make antibodies for it?

cheers!!

SOC

I have read people still getting shingles vaccines after having an episode as it supposedly helps prevent further reactivations. Any thoughts?
:eek: No thank you! The shingles vaccine is just the live virus chicken pox booster. Live virus vaccines are not recommended for PWME. Fine for people with healthy immune systems, not so good for us. For us it's probably safer to gamble that we don't get shingles and jump on the appropriate antiviral pronto if we do. That requires a knowledgeable doc, of course.
You would think that if u had shingles once and had a good immune system than you would make antibodies for it.
We should have the antibodies if we had chicken pox (or the vaccine). If you get shingles, it means your body's antibody production for varicella isn't up to snuff. A booster (for those with healthy immune systems) before one's antibody production drops low enough for shingles is probably a good idea.

I haven't had shingles since I got past the IRIS-like period with Valcyte. Probably being on Valtrex for most of that time helps. ;)

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
@heapsreal Sorry you are having extra issues.
To answer your question : As a kid I had measles, rubella, mumps and chicken pox. I had measles again in college.
Got quarantined in my dorm room. No one else around had them.

When I first got this plague ( second month when I was still going back and forth w/ the "flu" ) I got a rash that looked like measles, but was chocked up to a ABX reaction.
Who knows since I was not doing well.

Best

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
well im quite sure its shingles. I generally do a 10 day course of famvir when i have my normal cmv viral symptoms. Tuesday i didnt feel right and didnt seem my normal cmv stuff but started famvir than. I think im lucky i did as its starting to scab up like shingle rashes do. I increased the dose last night when i saw the rash too which i think helped.
Still got a good headache but now my temp is normal and heart rate is back to normal. the rash itself isnt too bad really but who knows what the dam virus is doing in my head, its been playing games with me the last few days thats for sure.

I had shingles when I was 22. The associated nerve pain and burning sensation was nasty. Hope you can get this sorted out quickly.

Best wishes Andy

taniaaust1

I got measles from the measles injection when I was a baby. I have had chicken pox twice and whopping cough once

Interesting as that happened to my daughter too. I didnt allow my children to get vaccinated after that.

Im sure that daughter it happened to has an immune disorder as she ended up also not being able to fight off a common viral thing which then caused complications which caused her to have to get surgery about 17 times. I really worry due to that that she could get ME some day.

taniaaust1

Ive been lucky, Ive only had measles the once. I'd worry about getting a shingles vaccination as I know my system doesnt always work right to vaccination.

I hope you get over this latest health set back soon.