• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME Research UK: £1 Million of biomedical research - an overview of funded research

Firestormm

meruk-website-logo-2.png

£1 million of biomedical research: an overview of the projects you have funded

In early 2014, ME Research UK reached a milestone, topping the £1 million mark in grants awarded to researchers. This represents 35 specific biomedical projects, the results of which have now been published as 58 research papers in peer-reviewed scientific journals.

We can be proud of this record, and we know that none of it would have happened without the hard work and generosity of patients, their families and friends, and other ME organisations (such as the Irish ME Trust, the John Richardson Research Foundation, and Irish ME/CFS Association) sharing our belief in the need for biomedical research.

To mark this achievement, we have produced a special 32-page edition of Breakthrough magazine, entitled ‘£1 million of biomedical research’.

Click the button below to download a copy of the magazine.

£1 million of biomedical research (pdf, 2.7 MB)

Written in plain English, its aim is to give non-scientists an easily digestible overview of the research we have funded over the years, alongside a list of the projects and the scientific papers published.

It also discusses some of the less well-known aspects of research funding, such as the need for programmes of research that continue year-on-year. The research is classified into subject areas to illustrate the breadth and range of the scientific work, as the contents illustrate:
    • Genes and systems analysis
    • Infection
    • Definitions and diagnosis
    • Immunity
    • Circulation and the blood
    • Clinical trials and therapies
    • Brain and nervous system
    • Exercise and muscle
    • Pain and sensitivity
    • Children and young people
    • Research infrastructure
    • Programmes of research
Read more: http://www.meresearch.org.uk/our-research/overview-of-funded-research/

From the booklet:

"It is incredible to think that ME Research UK has awarded £1 million in grants to scientific researchers since it was founded 14 years ago by Robert McRae, Roger Jefcoate CBE DL and myself. So when it was suggested that we produce a special edition of Breakthrough magazine to mark the occasion, I jumped at the chance...."

Dr Vance Spence
Chairman
ME Research UK

Last edited: