The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Awareness Course Online, thoughts?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by ChrisD, Jul 12, 2018.

1. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Member

East Sussex
    I got a targeted ad online from Reed.co.uk (Jobs website) for this online course on ME/CFS awareness that costs £49.

I am very intrigued to know what information it is giving out as it is registered by Complimentary medical association, International alliance of holistic therapists, but also the IANLPC (International Association of NLP & Coaching) which suggests to me that it may mention CBT/GET or Lightning Process.

Should it not be validated or verified by the ME association or such organisations/charities?

I feel like it could be important to get to the bottom of as awareness of ME grows with the Millions missing campaign, if practitioners or whoever are keen to understand more then there is a chance this may not be the best source of information, but it might be the most accessible and appear as the most apparently official source.

I'm also a bit intrigued as I have done a lot of research but I wonder if they provide any nuggets of useful info.

Price
    £49 inc VAT
    Study method
    Online, self-paced
    Duration
    150 Hours
    Qualification
    150 CPD points / hours
    Additional info
    • Exam(s) / assessment(s) is included in price
    The Study areas:
    1. What is ME/CFS
    2. Related Conditions
    3. Who Suffers?
    4. Lifestyle and Symptoms
    5. Do I Have ME/CFS?
    6. Further Testing and Diagnosis
    7. Helping Yourself Back to Health
    8. Recovery Techniques That Work
    9. The Road to Recovery
    10. Food and ME/CFS
    11. How Food Affects Recovery
    12. Other Possible Areas to Explore
    13. Case Studies and Recovery

https://www.reed.co.uk/courses/me-c...lay&utm_content=Ecareers&utm_campaign=Courses

This can be moved to advocacy if more appropriate.

2. CreativeB

CreativeB Senior Member

Scotland
    Hi @ChrisD, thanks for sharing this. I share some of your concerns. I've had a look at the course and the website of the actual provider. Its very difficult to get a feel for the organisation and they claim to offer a Diploma but this does not appear to be an awarding body I am familiar with.

My other concern is that as Reed are effectively an employment agency and, from what I understand, provide training courses to support unemployed people back into employment. This course could be a platform to "encourage" UK ME/CFS patients back into employment and out of benefits? I appreciate Reed do have a statement saying they do not endorse the course; but they are accepting the advertising.

ChrisD likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.