• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS Phone Support Group

frog_in_the_fog

Test Subject
If anyone is worried about privacy, you can block your caller id on your landline or cell phone.

To activate Caller ID Blocking Per Call on a landline:
  1. Listen for a dial tone.
  2. Press *67 and wait for a second dial tone.
  3. Dial the outgoing phone number. The receiver of this call will not see your phone number or name for this call only.
To activate Caller ID Blocking on your Android phone:
  1. Go to Call settings on dialer menu.
  2. Choose Additional settings.
  3. Choose Caller ID.
  4. Select Hide number.
OR:
  1. Click Settings gear
  2. Choose Call Settings
  3. Choose All calls
  4. Choose Show My Number
  5. Click on Hide
To activate Caller ID Blocking on your iPhone:
  1. Open Settings.
  2. Choose settings for Phone.
  3. Select Show My Caller ID from the Phone menu.
  4. Tap the Show My Caller ID switch to disable the feature.
Note: Remember to enable your Caller ID when you are done with your private call.

Last edited:
Wow, great info, frog*! My mind is kind of blown! (I really could have used this for other things)
I have an Android but it is older and does not follow the instructions above. Instead, it is: Settings > Call Settings > All calls > Show My Number > and click on "Hide"
------

Unfortunately I don't remember the exact name of the listserve, since I signed up ages ago and just read messages occasionally of the ones that come through. Something like East Coast CFIDS? I just know that in a recent message that I actually read, they ended up mentioning they they have some 200 members. Word can travel fast in this community, since so many of us are bound to our computers while stuck at home sick. I would bet the main hindrance to having a ton of people show up on the call would be our terrible memory, lol!

I myself don't know if I'll end up calling in, as here I am, suddenly wide awake at 5AM on the same day as the call! It's good in a way, because my brain feels weirdly clearer than normal, but bad because what's the likelihood I am still awake and can think and remember by 8PM tonight, right? Stupid disease...
---------

I am in my 30s. I got sick at the end of my 20s. There are, very sadly, kids out there who are stricken with this at 12 and 17 (I can't imagine...), so I'm certainly not a baby. But, I have rarely met anyone in my age range with the same thing. Nearly everyone I have met is 50-70 yrs old, the vast majority of them female like myself. Part of this might because because it takes so long for us to get diagnosed and then find community. It's different though at this age, in part because our peers are unlikely to be very mature about the idea of someone being physically ill and unable to keep up with normal physical activities - all the more so if you have dementia! Older people are at least used to some aches and pains and a bit of slowing down, and have seen others usually go through cancer or something else serious by then - so even if they don't get the illness, they at least get the CONCEPT of illness! It's never easy for any of us, though, of course.

While all my friends are drinking, clubbing, going to the gym, advancing in their careers, and now having babies, I am bedridden and unable to do any of those things. Half the time I can't even remember their names! It gets hard to keep a friendship that way, when there is nothing to talk about but memories of the past together.

People who are older with this illness will say to me, "Oh, you're better off without them, they're just not very good friends!" But I think they forget what it was like to be this age... I don't blame my friends for not getting it. To be honest, if I were healthy and busy like them, I would probably be weirded out by this illness too. It's normal to want to be active and physically fit and not want to slow down for people who can't do the same things you enjoy. Most of my friends are athletes and scholars, and they were very kind people, so I am not mad at them for being wrapped up in enjoying a normal stimulating life - we once had a great deal in common, which is why we were such good friends. But even if you've known each other for 20 years out of 30 yrs being alive, if 10 years of that is spent never seeing each other and with me being ill and never doing anything to talk about with them on the phone except visit more doctors or try more medications, that bond can't hold out forever...

My understanding is that most of us who get it younger have a more severe form of M.E., that often leaves us bedridden for years and unable to reach remission. Given that, I am very fortunate for the recent successes I have had. Many people with a diagnosis of "CFS" actually seem to have more of a thyroid and adrenal issue, and have none of the severe immune and brain inflammation symptoms I have had that makes my diagnosis more appropriately fit M.E. Many of them also don't have severe pain like I do. I very rarely meet anyone, even online, who has my same type of illness, and when I do they are too sick to maintain even a loose online relationship - which I get because I have trouble with that too. The people who can communicate with others are those who are only mildly or moderately ill, where they can actually leave the house, still work full or part-time, read and type easily, etc... Those of us with a severe form of the disease can't do any of that, nor relate well to people who can. Ironic, given that the sicker you are the more support you need, but the more isolated you are both in practical terms, and emotionally.

Hence how I apparently have had a membership on this site for 5 years, and I know I've been using the site for at least 6 years, and yet this is only my 11th post apparently in all that time. It's a miracle I even remembered this conversation existed... but one of the little tricks I've learned to coping with this disease is I leave tabs open on my internet browser, and I saw this one open and clicked to see what it was - and then remembered: oh yeah, that call thing, when was that again? holy crap, it's tonight! where did my last few days go?... :)

Wishing all of you hope and comfort, and a lessening of symptoms if you can't reach actual cure!

Last edited:

frog_in_the_fog

Test Subject
Wow, great info, frog*! My mind is kind of blown! (I really could have used this for other things)
I have an Android but it is older and does not follow the instructions above. Instead, it is: Settings > Call Settings > All calls > Show My Number > and click on "Hide"
Thanks for pointing this out @MEsupport8. There is a bit of variation with Android.

The call will be 8PM EST, that is 5PM PDT for us on the west coast.

Dear @MEsupport8,

ME is a very unforgiving disease especially to those most afflicted. I myself have been reading this forum for about four years, but I didn't choose to join till recently. I have been waiting for a diagnosis which I hope will come soon and has been a long time coming, over ten years for me.

Your voice is always heard when you post on these forums. Your voice matters to me and to the many PR members. Many of us can relate to your situation because we are there or were there at some point in our illness.

I was very surprised to learn as a guy, I am in the minority here. I feel I have lost a lot to this disease, but I still fight on in any way I can.

Last edited:

Horizon

Excited about tonight guys! I'm hoping for a nice supportive/social chat.

Frog, you aren't the only guy, im one as well so there will definitely be males on the call but this disease definitely trends female. Most of the callers will be female but a few guys have expressed interest either tonight or in future calls.

I think blocking the number is great for anyone worried but the call is hosted by FreeConferenceCall.com which has been used by millions of people and written about in Forbes etc. So its a big platform for free conferencing used by groups, nonprofits, businesses and individuals but by all means if it makes you comfy to join go for it.

Undisclosed

It's important to trust your intuition. If something does not feel right, then don't do it.

GD

Sometimes, you also have to take a leap of faith and believe that not every body on the internet is doing something nice for nefarious underlying reasons. There is nothing to suggest that this member is not doing any thing other than offering a way for people with ME to engage in a support group.

I, for one, would like to know if it is successful and what members thought about it.

ME is a very unforgiving disease especially to those most afflicted. I myself have been reading this forum for about four years, but I didn't choose to join till recently. I have been waiting for a diagnosis which I hope will come soon and has been a long time coming, over ten years for me.

Your voice is always heard when you post on these forums. Your voice matters to me and to the many PR members. Many of us can relate to your situation because we have been there or were there at some point in our illness.

I was very surprised to learn as a guy, I am in the minority here. I feel I have lost a lot to this disease, but I still fight on in any way I can.

Thank you, that was very kind.

I am still awake (for now!) and was thinking more on this subject - something I've never been able to share with others because I didn't feel they would understand. The hardest part about me being ill is not actually that I am ill. The hardest part by far has been that I am ill while YOUNG. Nearly all of the patients I have ever talked to had a chance to live more of their lives first. They had a chance to advance in their careers. They had a chance to get married. They had children. Most of them are grandparents, so no where near the life experience I have had. They now have families that support them, at least partially, either physically, financially, or emotionally – or in some cases all three. I never got that chance. I never got to do those things, and now I am completely alone. I did get the chance to have a relationship at least, and to get married - but the disease ended that. I never got to really start my career as I was in the middle of a degree when I got sick. I never got to have children. Even if I ever get better, by that time it might be too late.

Because of my illness, I can’t relate to any people in my own generation, and I also can’t relate to people who are older than me either because their experience is so very different from mine. The hardest part about me being ill while young is the knowledge that now, even if I enter remission or miraculously get cured, I will have missed the prime years of my life for building my career, and having a family, and I can never get them back. If I get well, I will be broke, and it will take me years to build up my life financially so that I could even afford to adopt children, assuming I would even qualify by then. I will never get back my youth. I can never be normal again, or relate to people my own age again. I won’t have any of the photos or videos that my peers have of this decade of their lives, between their late 20s and late 30s, where they were fit and healthy and happy and social, and active in their careers and relationships. I might get better, but just in time for wrinkles and graying hair and a loss of my fertility and desirability as a woman. Society is VERY harsh toward women's value with respect to their age and appearance (often it seems all that matters to others). One day I was in my 20s and vibrant and I fell acutely ill - the next day I may wake up and I will be fortunate to be better but I will already be in my 40s or older, with the body of a woman who has been bedridden for many years. My body is suddenly aging kind of rapidly... like I'm in my 60s, rather than in my 30s. I was single most of this time I've been ill, but missed my peek to be able to make the most of it.

I know there are many counterpoints to be made to these statements. Most of the time I am positive about my prospects, because I am glad to be alive and there is still life to be lived, however limited it may be. But inside, it is very hard to talk about to others but this disease stole my future from me. I was just about to have a stellar career, I was almost finished with a degree that made me a bit of a rising star in my field. Then I was too sick to finish and had to withdraw. I can never withstand the type of work that that career would entail again. I have all this debt now, for nothing. The thing I loved most to do, I can no longer do. All my peers passed me and have all these accolades, and it looks like I just wasn't good enough to finish. In a very competitive field, nobody cares that you got sick. They assume you used it as an excuse and pulled out because you really couldn't hack it. I waited to start a family because I had planned to do so with my husband when I had established my career. Now I have neither husband nor children, nor career either, and I've lost near all of my friends because conversation between us has just gotten so awkward. Even if I continue to make the progress I'm making and get better, how can I ever catch up to what I've lost? It just so happened that I got sick at the most critical juncture of my life, during a decade that just happened to be the most critical for all the things I want in the future. Had it been a few years earlier, or a few years later, it would still be bad but I would not feel so lost and without identity. Everything I believed myself to be, I am not anymore. Everything that mattered to me, is not in my life anymore.

It is hard for me to admit it, because I pride myself on being able to do everything against impossible odds, completely on my own. I like to smile and make people feel at ease that I am still ok, I am still a person. But even though I see many good things in my life, and believe I can still do good things for others in my future, I am in the midst of real emotional agony. I am not really a person at all anymore.

This thread just brought all this up for me, because I was surprised how badly I wanted to have a place just to hear other people talk out loud about their struggles. I thought when I first saw this opportunity, "Well, I'm doing better now, do I even need this anymore?" But apparently, I still need the emotional support very badly, even if physically I am in a bit better shape than I used to be. I have a lot of fears about the future. If all of my medical experiments on myself fail, then at least I'm used to that. But how will I get through decades of this? And if they actually succeed, how am I going to deal with the sudden ability to think clearly and see the devastation around me, the wreckage of a life that was totally obliterated? Where do you even start to rebuild your body and the life around you?

People with cancer, and even with AIDS now, get all kinds of support. It's still hard, and terrifying, but at least there are a million places for them to call and get help, find others who know what they're going through - so much so that they can find people in their age group, with their specific medications, and often even in their specific town or region. Usually, they can physically get to support group meetings, or someone will pick them up. They don't get tired after only half an hour of leaving bed so they can't make it there, have the meeting, and come back home. Moreover, people with cancer generally have an end point to their struggle - they are sick for a few months or a few years, and then they either get better, or they pass on. They know what they're fighting for. They don't linger in that state of taking chemo forever, decade after decade vomiting and losing their hair (like I have been losing hair and vomiting, but without the temporary cause), never rejoining the living but never getting the rest that comes with death either. My mother had a very aggressive cancer, so I am speaking of this not to be unkind, but out of a genuine understanding of what that journey is like. Our journey as M.E. patients is much harder in a lot of ways, particularly socially and psychologically. I hover near death for years, but I want to keep living so I keep trying. You have to make a choice, and I'm glad for the choice I made. But even so, apparently, I have a lot of feelings about it that I didn't realize I had.

The point is not to compare. It's not to say "this person has it better and this person has it worse." Everybody in life has struggles, and they are hard no matter who you are. It's just to say, "this is the specific reason why this is so utterly devastating, and why I feel so alone."

Maybe other people will read this and relate to some of it, and feel less alone. I never say it, and maybe that's why I feel so isolated. Maybe nobody else gets it, but at least I tried. At least I found words to articulate part of how I'm feeling.

I don't know if I will remember and be well enough by tonight to be on this call or not. (I already forgot, yet again, that it was happening until I got an email notice that there were replies to this thread - thank god for email notifications!) So if not, at least I said part of what I am feeling.
----

Incidentally, frogITF, I'm very sorry you have your own experience of being a minority in this disease. We are all minorities simply for having it at all, so being the minority within the minority within the minority sucks.

I have found in my years being stuck online, that men seem to be far more likely to post to forums and comment sections, whereas females lurk, or perhaps aren't on the computer at all. That's just a general observation across all kinds of internet pages. I assume, based on comments I have seen from other women about why they did or did not post before, that this has partly to do with the sense that many women get that their voice is not important, or that they should not disagree where a man has forcefully expressed an opinion. Having been an educator in my past, I am aware that that happens often in a classroom setting too. Anyway, regardless of the reason, it might be beneficial to you. The statistics I have read in the past say something like 1 in 7 people diagnosed with M.E./CFS is male. But the men who are part of the patient community make up a very vocal minority, and many are quite knowledgeable and have done some great things for patient advocacy. So perhaps that will be helpful to you as you seek out support, that even if you are statistically in the minority, online you're still in good company. In the last phone support group I was part of, out of I think it was a total of 7 people, 2 of them were men - one actually a 20 year old guy who only joined the call once and then dropped out, maybe because he felt he did not relate to the rest.

Anyway, the point of all this rambling is to say I hope you find the support you need. And again, thank you for the kind words. I don't hear them very much. And I feel very self-conscious about typing online, even when it isn't too physically painful to do, because the part of my brain that can edit things doesn't work anymore, so I end up writing really long stuff that I can't then re-read to cut down and get more to the point. I don't mean to give others with this illness a headache with all the words! I just can't form concise thoughts anymore since I got ill! I can't summarize a main point to save my life now. Sometimes when I venture to write anything online, people are very harsh, because apparently it is very uncool on the internet to speak in terms that are more than 147 characters long. People seem to read it as me being offensive and arrogant, but it's actually because I have diagnosed severe cognitive dysfunction, likely from severe brain inflammation. Thanks for being nice about it - for sure not everyone is. It's another thing that makes it hard for me to connect with others since getting ill.

Horizon

I'll also try to keep some kind of tally about how many join, how long the chat goes for etc to report back. I'll also mention any topics addressed.

Cheeza11

Living life with Laughter instead of Fear
------

Unfortunately I don't remember the exact name of the listserve, since I signed up ages ago and just read messages occasionally of the ones that come through. Something like East Coast CFIDS? I just know that in a recent message that I actually read, they ended up mentioning they they have some 200 members. Word can travel fast in this community, since so many of us are bound to our computers while stuck at home sick. I would bet the main hindrance to having a ton of people show up on the call would be our terrible memory, lol!

I myself don't know if I'll end up calling in, as here I am, suddenly wide awake at 5AM on the same day as the call! It's good in a way, because my brain feels weirdly clearer than normal, but bad because what's the likelihood I am still awake and can think and remember by 8PM tonight, right? Stupid disease...
---------

I am in my 30s. I got sick at the end of my 20s. There are, very sadly, kids out there who are stricken with this at 12 and 17 (I can't imagine...), so I'm certainly not a baby. But, I have rarely met anyone in my age range with the same thing. Nearly everyone I have met is 50-70 yrs old, the vast majority of them female like myself. Part of this might because because it takes so long for us to get diagnosed and then find community. It's different though at this age, in part because our peers are unlikely to be very mature about the idea of someone being physically ill and unable to keep up with normal physical activities - all the more so if you have dementia! Older people are at least used to some aches and pains and a bit of slowing down, and have seen others usually go through cancer or something else serious by then - so even if they don't get the illness, they at least get the CONCEPT of illness! It's never easy for any of us, though, of course.

While all my friends are drinking, clubbing, going to the gym, advancing in their careers, and now having babies, I am bedridden and unable to do any of those things. Half the time I can't even remember their names! It gets hard to keep a friendship that way, when there is nothing to talk about but memories of the past together.

People who are older with this illness will say to me, "Oh, you're better off without them, they're just not very good friends!" But I think they forget what it was like to be this age... I don't blame my friends for not getting it. To be honest, if I were healthy and busy like them, I would probably be weirded out by this illness too. It's normal to want to be active and physically fit and not want to slow down for people who can't do the same things you enjoy. Most of my friends are athletes and scholars, and they were very kind people, so I am not mad at them for being wrapped up in enjoying a normal stimulating life - we once had a great deal in common, which is why we were such good friends. But even if you've known each other for 20 years out of 30 yrs being alive, if 10 years of that is spent never seeing each other and with me being ill and never doing anything to talk about with them on the phone except visit more doctors or try more medications, that bond can't hold out forever...

My understanding is that most of us who get it younger have a more severe form of M.E., that often leaves us bedridden for years and unable to reach remission. Given that, I am very fortunate for the recent successes I have had. Many people with a diagnosis of "CFS" actually seem to have more of a thyroid and adrenal issue, and have none of the severe immune and brain inflammation symptoms I have had that makes my diagnosis more appropriately fit M.E. Many of them also don't have severe pain like I do. I very rarely meet anyone, even online, who has my same type of illness, and when I do they are too sick to maintain even a loose online relationship - which I get because I have trouble with that too. The people who can communicate with others are those who are only mildly or moderately ill, where they can actually leave the house, still work full or part-time, read and type easily, etc... Those of us with a severe form of the disease can't do any of that, nor relate well to people who can. Ironic, given that the sicker you are the more support you need, but the more isolated you are both in practical terms, and emotionally.

Hence how I apparently have had a membership on this site for 5 years, and I know I've been using the site for at least 6 years, and yet this is only my 11th post apparently in all that time. It's a miracle I even remembered this conversation existed... but one of the little tricks I've learned to coping with this disease is I leave tabs open on my internet browser, and I saw this one open and clicked to see what it was - and then remembered: oh yeah, that call thing, when was that again? holy crap, it's tonight! where did my last few days go?... :)

Wishing all of you hope and comfort, and a lessening of symptoms if you can't reach actual cure!
This was a great read. Me and you have some in common. I too am in my 30's and was diagnosed in my late 20's. The friend thing, well , what you said I am struggling with that the most. I was a very social person and an athlete. Me and my husband were on a travel ball slow pitch softball team. And in a blink of an eye it has been all taken away. Had to sell my dirt bike and hobbies such as snowboarding and playing guitar have been put on hold or will never be able to do again, I just get excluded now from all the trips. Its like I'm a ghost to my friends. Where before my phone would always ring and now I can count my TRUE friends on my hand. It makes me depressed. It puts a strain on my relationship w my husband who used to love to do these things and I can't do anything with my baby girl. That kills me the most. To not be able to hold her because of the exhaustion, or I didn't sleep the night before so we have to stay home . The Cognitive issues are only getting worse and we have had several talks with our daughter to explain Mommy's sick. She gets it a little bit but still too young. I am very happy to have met you and if you ever want to talk I would love to talk to you. Its nice to reach out to people but also nice when they are your age and are going through similar situations. Always praying and wishing all the ME fighters out there the best. This illness is very debilitating and controls and takes over our lives. Until then, keep on fighting!

Chrissa
ME fighter

Groggy Doggy

Sometimes, you also have to take a leap of faith and believe that not every body on the internet is doing something nice for nefarious underlying reasons
I don't believe "that every body on the internet is doing something nice for nefarious underlying reasons". I am interested in the concept of a phone support group and hope this one is successful. But if a PR member is not comfortable in participating, then that is their choice, and I support their decision.

This was a great read. Me and you have some in common. I too am in my 30's and was diagnosed in my late 20's. The friend thing, well , what you said I am struggling with that the most. I was a very social person and an athlete. Me and my husband were on a travel ball slow pitch softball team. And in a blink of an eye it has been all taken away. Had to sell my dirt bike and hobbies such as snowboarding and playing guitar have been put on hold or will never be able to do again, I just get excluded now from all the trips. Its like I'm a ghost to my friends. Where before my phone would always ring and now I can count my TRUE friends on my hand. It makes me depressed. It puts a strain on my relationship w my husband who used to love to do these things and I can't do anything with my baby girl. That kills me the most. To not be able to hold her because of the exhaustion, or I didn't sleep the night before so we have to stay home . The Cognitive issues are only getting worse and we have had several talks with our daughter to explain Mommy's sick. She gets it a little bit but still too young. I am very happy to have met you and if you ever want to talk I would love to talk to you. Its nice to reach out to people but also nice when they are your age and are going through similar situations. Always praying and wishing all the ME fighters out there the best. This illness is very debilitating and controls and takes over our lives. Until then, keep on fighting!

Chrissa
ME fighter

I am almost in tears, because people are being so nice! I appreciate it. I was worried I would say something that would offend. Maybe I just met all the wrong people, but I have been connected to various forums and sources of patient community almost since I first got sick, and I rarely find people who are this friendly. And when they are, they don't really relate much to my experience of the illness itself, or to my life experiences, so it's hard to take the discussion much further. It is weird to suddenly find people being so nice! :)

I get what you're saying, Chrissa. I was really active in sports when I was younger, and then when I chose an academic life, I still did a lot of physical activities although not team or group sports anymore - like snorkeling and kayaking and yoga and stuff. I also get what this disease can do to a relationship - it really matters how compassionate and patient the person you're with is. I found out my best friend was not a great friend at all. I was glad to know younger than older, though, to be honest! That could have been dead weight in my life for decades longer than it turned out! :)

It's so funny, I like to play a number of musical instruments and also sing, but I can't do those things now either! Did you stop guitar because it hurts? Maybe this is because I also have Fibro, but my god, playing guitar or any stringed instrument nearly rips my fingers in half now! And singing is so exhausting, I can rarely do it at all. I ended up buying a ukulele since getting sick because they have soft easy strings that are thicker than guitar strings, and I'm trying to learn, but it's so tiring to try to learn chords and songs that I've barely gotten anywhere yet after owning it over a year. But there are a lot of youtube videos to help you learn, and phone apps, and it doesn't hurt physically nearly as much. So maybe somebody else will get something out of that little tip - it's a much easier instrument to play than most, and you can play it while laying down! :)

I'm really sorry about what's going on with your little girl. I don't have kids of my own, but my friends have little ones, and I can imagine how terrible that would feel to not be able to bond with her whenever you want to. I was her age when my mom got sick, so I get a bit of what it feels like on their end too. It's hard, but they don't really know anything else, so I doubt it hurts as deeply as it's hurting on your end as the mother - if that's any comfort. They just want you to be around, even if it's not always fun, and even if it's not all the time because you have to rest. I barely got to see my mom for some 3 years because she was locked away in her bedroom. Even if I couldn't touch her because she was hurting or couldn't risk getting my germs, I would have liked to be allowed to just sit there near her and look at her or be near her. If you can do that with your little girl, that's a big help. Just smiling at her and letting her know you're happy to see her is big.

But this struggle is the reason I would not have children while sick. I have had older women suggest to me that I should try to get pregnant because some women with M.E./CFS have a remission with the pregnancy hormones. But what if not?? And what if that happens, but then I relapse soon after the birth, as some do? I don't personally think it's the right decision to do this on purpose - I'm not going to use a kid as just another one of my experimental treatments!

I am grateful that people who get it are reaching out to me. Yes, I would definitely be up for keeping in contact with anyone who feels they relate to how I'm feeling! I don't really know how to work this site, but some people have figured out how to message me, so if you can do that, go ahead and give me a direct message and I'd be happy to respond. But I must warn anyone something that many of us likely know already - as much as I want to connect with people, it is possible I will forget to get back to you, or be an awesome friend for a bit and then suddenly disappear because I got too sick. As long as nobody takes that personally, and just contacts me again when you want to, we're good. I am somebody who has to be reminded a lot, because my brain can be pretty good for a minute, and then I have a bad crash and I barely remember my name for sometimes a few weeks or a few months. I am happy when I find people who like me enough to be persistent in trying to contact me even though it might take a while for me to get back, and don't take it as a rejection if I am a s#!%%y friend. I totally get that that not usually worth it to most people, especially when I am starting out as a total stranger. But it's not meant to be rude or selfish, it's just how this stupid disease works for a portion of us.

But generally speaking, I am always here to talk to if people who think we could be pals would like to check in and vent about the zombie apocalypse that is catching this wretched mind-numbing disease! (It may be a very slow kind of zombie apocalypse, but it is affecting way more people than should have to deal with this, nonetheless! And it gives me a laugh to think of a bunch of people like me wandering around confused and moaning and eating each other's brains, lol)

Last edited:

barbc56

I don't believe "that every body on the internet is doing something nice for nefarious underlying reasons". I am interested in the concept of a phone support group and hope this one is successful. But if a PR member is not comfortable in participating, then that is their choice, and I support their decision.

My response was based on the lack of information. This information was provided, and it turned out administration had approved this. That was all I needed to know, soooooo,.........

Good luck on this new adventure! :thumbsup:

frog_in_the_fog

Test Subject
But generally speaking, I am always here to talk to if people who think we could be pals would like to check in and vent about the zombie apocalypse that is catching this wretched mind-numbing disease! (It may be a very slow kind of zombie apocalypse, but it is affecting way more people than should have to deal with this, nonetheless! And it gives me a laugh to think of a bunch of people like me wandering around confused and moaning and eating each other's brains, lol)
I liken it to being lost in the fog. Sometimes the fog lifts a bit, but it is always foggy. We each need to find our own way out of the fog, or at least get some fog lights.

I liken it to being lost in the fog. Sometimes the fog lifts a bit, but it is always foggy. We each need to find our own way out of the fog, or at least get some fog lights.

Yes, brain fog sucks. I am of the opinion that most of us who have that symptom have it due to brain inflammation... which might be true even if some people are dealing with Fibro only, or another type of chronic illness. A number of conditions come with this confusion and sense of constant haziness, and they are usually illnesses that have an association with inflammation or auto-immune responses. For me, it deadens all my senses, so I don't hear as well, smell or taste as well, feel touch as clearly, or see things clearly. And I feel generally unaware of stuff. Sometimes it's better, and then when I crash it gets worse.

A tip that might help some people - for me, the inflammation improves with anti-inflammatory foods like those with high anti-oxidant content. Also, it improves by wrapping my head in an ice pack (especially the part where my head connects to my spine) and literally freezing my brain for 30-60 minutes a day. When I do that, I have significantly better sleep, less pain, and can think more clearly. Make sure to put a towel or something between it and your head to avoid pain or accidentally freezing your skin! I am amazed that it feels so helpful most days, rather than painful. I don't do it every day though because some days it's suddenly painful. Cold hurts a ton almost everywhere else on my body, but apparently not on my skull. This works especially well for those of us who feel feverish a lot but don't have a temperature. I have told other people and every single one of them who felt that way also saw improvement, so it's worth a shot.

Horizon

I did this in a hurry. Let me know if I need to change anything.

https://countingdownto.com/email-countdown/3a8SvKcyMPylbq

This isn't showing. Anyone know how to do this and post one that shows? Feel free to make one in another post!

I see it. I'm excited and anxious. Been watching the clock all day. No idea what to expect and now I took klonopin which i hope I'll still be functional for a good chat.

Cheeza11

Living life with Laughter instead of Fear
I am almost in tears, because people are being so nice! I appreciate it. I was worried I would say something that would offend. Maybe I just met all the wrong people, but I have been connected to various forums and sources of patient community almost since I first got sick, and I rarely find people who are this friendly. And when they are, they don't really relate much to my experience of the illness itself, or to my life experiences, so it's hard to take the discussion much further. It is weird to suddenly find people being so nice! :)

I get what you're saying, Chrissa. I was really active in sports when I was younger, and then when I chose an academic life, I still did a lot of physical activities although not team or group sports anymore - like snorkeling and kayaking and yoga and stuff. I also get what this disease can do to a relationship - it really matters how compassionate and patient the person you're with is. I found out my best friend was not a greaSo ifriend at all. I was glad to know younger than older, though, to be honest! That could have been dead weight in my life for decades longer than it turned out! :)

It's so funny, I like to play a number of musical instruments and also sing, but I can't do those things now either! Did you stop guitar because it hurts? Maybe this is because I also have Fibro, but my god, playing guitar or any stringed instrument nearly rips my fingers in half now! And singing is so exhausting, I can rarely do it at all. I ended up buying a ukulele since getting sick because they have soft easy strings that are thicker than guitar strings, and I'm trying to learn, but it's so tiring to try to learn chords and songs that I've barely gotten anywhere yet after owning it over a year. But there are a lot of youtube videos to help you learn, and phone apps, and it doesn't hurt physically nearly as much. So maybe somebody else will get something out of that little tip - it's a much easier instrument to play than most, and you can play it while laying down! :)

I'm really sorry about what's going on with your little girl. I don't have kids of my own, but my friends have little ones, and I can imagine how terrible that would feel to not be able to bond with her whenever you want to. I was her age when my mom got sick, so I get a bit of what it feels like on their end too. It's hard, but they don't really know anything else, so I doubt it hurts as deeply as it's hurting on your end as the mother - if that's any comfort. They just want you to be around, even if it's not always fun, and even if it's not all the time because you have to rest. I barely got to see my mom for some 3 years because she was locked away in her bedroom. Even if I couldn't touch her because she was hurting or couldn't risk getting my germs, I would have liked to be allowed to just sit there near her and look at her or be near her. If you can do that with your little girl, that's a big help. Just smiling at her and letting her know you're happy to see her is big.

But this struggle is the reason I would not have children while sick. I have had older women suggest to me that I should try to get pregnant because some women with M.E./CFS have a remission with the pregnancy hormones. But what if not?? And what if that happens, but then I relapse soon after the birth, as some do? I don't personally think it's the right decision to do this on purpose - I'm not going to use a kid as just another one of my experimental treatments!

I am grateful that people who get it are reaching out to me. Yes, I would definitely be up for keeping in contact with anyone who feels they relate to how I'm feeling! I don't really know how to work this site, but some people have figured out how to message me, so if you can do that, go ahead and give me a direct message and I'd be happy to respond. But I must warn anyone something that many of us likely know already - as much as I want to connect with people, it is possible I will forget to get back to you, or be an awesome friend for a bit and then suddenly disappear because I got too sick. As long as nobody takes that personally, and just contacts me again when you want to, we're good. I am somebody who has to be reminded a lot, because my brain can be pretty good for a minute, and then I have a bad crash and I barely remember my name for sometimes a few weeks or a few months. I am happy when I find people who like me enough to be persistent in trying to contact me even though it might take a while for me to get back, and don't take it as a rejection if I am a s#!%%y friend. I totally get that that not usually worth it to most people, especially when I am starting out as a total stranger. But it's not meant to be rude or selfish, it's just how this stupid disease works for a portion of us.

I literally just read this and for the first time breathed the biggest breath. I have friends who talk crap about how I don't respond to them, or I look confused when asked a simple question, or family members not talking to me right now because they think I am being rude etc. All because of this lame disease. So I totally get what you mean by getting back to me when your brain decides it wants to work. The Cognitive issues are a beast!

Just know I am here for you if you need a venting session and thank you for being there too. Its great to have support from people who understand.

And yes I had to stop playing the guitar because my Fibro hurts too much and the cognitive issues have gotten so bad all the songs I used to know how to play by heart I no longer remember. I have to get the music sheets out but it's too exhausting to be flipping pages and playing so I just stopped because it is also depressing in a way. Its another reminder of what I CANT do.

Well thanks for reaching out and keep up the fight . keep your head up always and stay positive. That's all we can do. Xx

Chrissa
ME/CFS Fighter