• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS/FM recovery story on HR - Famvir, celebrex - Dr. Skip Pridgen

cb2

curious if anyone noticed frogginess when taking the celebrex? stanford wants me to try Plaquenil but primary wants me to give the celebrex a go for 4 to 6 weeks..but i think it makes me groggy .

i thnk i do feel more comfortable using the celebrex though. wondering if the grogginess will over time? thanks!

Wonkmonk

Last edited:

BadBadBear

curious if anyone noticed frogginess when taking the celebrex? stanford wants me to try Plaquenil but primary wants me to give the celebrex a go for 4 to 6 weeks..but i think it makes me groggy .

i thnk i do feel more comfortable using the celebrex though. wondering if the grogginess will over time? thanks!

I have eventually noticed that Celebrex is making me tired if I take it in the day time. It took a long time for that effect to build up for me, though. I'm sticking to a combo of aspirin, NOW Boswellia, and NOW Bee Propolis during the daytime to suppress inflammation, and Celebrex at night only.

BadBadBear

Any concerns about interactions with these supplements?

I didn't find any when I did my research. Bee Propolis can be an allergy problem.

Aspirin inhibits MTOR and COX1 (and is liver protective)
Boswellia inhibits LOX
Bee Propolis inhibits COX2

The combo works about as well as Celebrex does for me, and from what I read, less toxicity concerns.

cb2

thanks for sharing this @BadBadBear . I have been going off and on with the celebrex, for a while i tried 200mg 2x a day. I didn't know being tired..so I am not sure it was the celebrex that caused the tiredness the first time around. do you mind sharing what the dose you are using for your protocol with the Aspirin, Boswellia and Bee Propolis?
I have been trying another brand it has boswellia and tumeric but a while but i can't tell if it even helps with my pain.
once it's gone i will switch over to what you are using.

my primary dr agree'd I could try 100mg x2 a day of the celebrex, we'll see how I do. I think taking omeprazole can help with stomach issues..but i get nervous about using one drug to help another drug.. I like your idea.

are you still doing the no carb or low carb? thanks

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
This study finds a (moderate) long-term (~20 months) dose of Celecoxib (~200mg/d) is safer than (fairly high) doses of Napoxen (~750mg/d) and Ibuprofen (~1800mg/d) with respect to heart attacks, kidney disease and gastrointestinal events.

All meds were given with esomeprazole (20-40mg/d) for gastric protection.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1611593

It even made it to CNN:

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/13/health/nsaid-pain-reliever-safety/index.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23459490/
Might be of interest to you. If anything it sounds useful if one has the flu.

I know lots of research can contradict each other but i recall reading about the increased risks of heart attacks from cox 2 inhibitors were similar to other nsaid but it said naproxen has protective effects similar to asprin. But only read this in one study.

Wonkmonk

I would be interested in other drugs that might be or have shown to be effective against HSV-1. If anyone knows, please share :)

heapsreal

I would be interested in other drugs that might be or have shown to be effective against HSV-1. If anyone knows, please share :)

Look onto zantac. Some research shows it can treat shingles by its actions on the immune system, keeps T cells fighting longer??? By blocking T suppressor cells??

Wonkmonk

I have seen Dr Goldsteins reports that it works for EBV-mono, but I haven't seen reports for other herpes viruses.

Does it work for you?

heapsreal

I have seen Dr Goldsteins reports that it works for EBV-mono, but I haven't seen reports for other herpes viruses.

Does it work for you?

I think it has. When i was going through regular shingles reactivations adding famvir reduced the severity and improved recovery time. Adding the zantac to this it added further improvement, i havent had any immune testing before and after adding zantac. I do use it intermittently. Ive also added lysine at these times, hard to tell its effects and also used cycloferon during these episodes which has helped.

Not sure many things actually kill viruses but they can reduce or stop viral replication which reduces severity and quicker recovery.

cb2

I have eventually noticed that Celebrex is making me tired if I take it in the day time. It took a long time for that effect to build up for me, though. I'm sticking to a combo of aspirin, NOW Boswellia, and NOW Bee Propolis during the daytime to suppress inflammation, and Celebrex at night only.
@BadBadBear are you taking 200mg celebrex? i forget? i wonder if we need to be up to 200 2x a day for this to be effective? I seem to be noticing improvement on the famvir 500 2x a day + 100 celebrex 2x aday.. but would like to add your combo of aspirin , bee propolis and bosweilla too. i know for sure the celebrex is helping with my neck pain : ) i would love to hear from more folks that are doing this protocol too?

Wonkmonk

Since the protocol targets HSV-1, I am wondering if adding Lysine and following a low-arginine diet would further help.

My understanding is there should be no interference with the other two drugs, but perhaps good to double check this.

eric_gladiator

@cb2

I also read it, including cases of referrals. but in my case I had the first symptoms when taking duloxetine, I do not know if it is the same as the prozac but it made me worse, maybe if I did not take it right now I would still be dancing like I used to

BadBadBear

@BadBadBear are you taking 200mg celebrex? i forget? i wonder if we need to be up to 200 2x a day for this to be effective? I seem to be noticing improvement on the famvir 500 2x a day + 100 celebrex 2x aday.. but would like to add your combo of aspirin , bee propolis and bosweilla too. i know for sure the celebrex is helping with my neck pain : ) i would love to hear from more folks that are doing this protocol too?

Sorry I missed this earlier, @cb2 just saw it when @Wonkmonk tagged me. For the last few months I am taking only 100 mg of Celebrex at night because it started to cause daytime drowsiness/tiredness (one of the listed possible side effects).

I take bee propolis/aspirin/boswellia in the morning as it does not cause any issues that I can tell. It does seem to work as well for me as the Celebrex does! I should consistently take a noon dose, but I don't. I don't take any other meds at noon so I forget. :)

There's not a specific reason that I stick to Celebrex at night, just hedging my bets and trying to keep a wide variety of anti-inflammatories in my system.

I tend toward 'coathanger' pain (neck, shoulders, and across the upper back), and it's been greatly helpful for it. If I overdo it or the anti-inflammatories wear off, I tend to get pain in that region in the late afternoon as well.

I think I'm the only one doing my protocol, LOL, but if you try it and it works well, let me know. Boswellia sometimes works for headaches that nothing else touches, so I keep taking it even though I'm not sure if its needed daily. I am ALL for whacking the viruses back, however possible.

cb2

thank you @BadBadBear .. I tired a product that had tumeric and boswellia for about a month but i couldn't tell if it was doing anything. it was this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMHJOD8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have ordered Propolis it is 1500mg. how many mg of asprin and bosweilla/propolis do you take to get the antiflammatory effects? i am glad you found a combo beside the NSAIDs .. yay! :)

@eric_gladiator I am sorry the celebrex (?) made you worse. I hope you will be able to return to your dancing soon.

BadBadBear

I have ordered Propolis it is 1500mg. how many mg of asprin and bosweilla/propolis do you take to get the antiflammatory effects? i am glad you found a combo beside the NSAIDs .. yay! :)

Right now, my aspirin dose is about 325 mg per day in the AM (one regular cheap brand tablet). I have thought for a long time prior to this that aspirin had helpful effects for me so I've been taking it for a few years.

It seems for me that even chronically taking baby aspirin daily helps. If you try it, you could just try chewing baby aspirin to start, 1 a day and see how it goes. Even that small dose is supposed to help with inflammatory cytokines.

I take the NOW Boswellia extract gel caps.

Let me know how it goes!

godlovesatrier

It would be interesting to know potencies and efficacies in terms of celebrex vs the traditional extracts mentioned. In my experience it's all about potency. @Hip I don't suppose any of these appeared in your pharmalogical calc research last year?