• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"ME/CFS: Discrimination Within Social Institutions"

Tom Kindlon

[Abstract from the IACFS/ME 2016 Conference]

ME/CFS: Discrimination Within Social Institutions

Geoffrey Hallmann, Dr Rosanne Coutts, Dr Yvonne Hartmann
Southern Cross University

OBJECTIVES: To examine the nature and impact of discrimination experienced by persons with ME/CFS when engaged in interactions with social institutions.

METHOD: The initial phase of the research involved a thorough review of the available literature to establish the interaction of those with ME/CFS with social institutions. Social institutions are the complex social forms that are found within governments, family, universities, hospitals, incorporated entities, legal systems and other social structures and organisations. This paper focuses on the incidence, nature and effect of discriminatory behaviour that participants experience during interactions with social institutions..

In the data collection phase, a pilot study involving an investigation of the Australian perspective of the experience of ME/CFS was obtained. This was expanded in the main study and participants were provided the opportunity to reveal their stories. Participants were required to have a diagnosis of CFS, ME or ME/CFS from a medical practitioner and self-select themselves as compliant to the Fukuda CFS Criteria, Canadian ME/CFS Criteria and Ramsay ME Criteria.

A background questionnaire was provided to give an insight into the history of the participant, particularly interactions with social institutions and pathways to diagnosis. The interview drew upon the questionnaire for guidance, with the primary questions derived from information gained from the literature review. The interviews were transcribed, coded and the relationships and issues identified in order to guide the second phase of the research which was conducted further into the study.

The pilot study involved 3 participants, followed by a second, more comprehensive phase comprising 16 participants. Stories emerged from within those interviews with respect to interactions with society and these were broken down to reveal particular themes relevant to those experiences.

RESULTS:

A total of 19 interviews were conducted. The average age of participants was 41.95 with all 14 females and 5 male participants. The mean duration of the condition was 17.66 years, with 8.35 years from onset until diagnosis. A number of issues arose, revealing an insight into the nature of the relationships that exist between persons with ME/CFS and various social institutions. Participants reported interactions that were both positive and negative. Such interactions were directly impacted by the diagnosis of ME/CFS. All participants had experienced some form of discrimination, with the majority being negative discrimination. Within these experiences, issues such as knowledge and understanding of the condition played a significant role in the discriminatory interaction. Misconceptions about the condition played a primary role. Abuse (verbal, physical and mental), withholding or withdrawal of goods and services, individual avoidance, social isolation, adverse employment decision, prescription of no or inappropriate treatment and the like were levelled against participants throughout their experiences. The ability to take action against discrimination was limited because of the effects of the condition and/or a lack of knowledge or desire to go about it.

CONCLUSION:

Participants with ME/CFS who engaged with social institutions were subject to various factors (such as abuse, attitudes, behaviours, comments, misinformation, misunderstandings, beliefs and policies) that directly or indirectly arise because of their diagnosis and the contested nature of the condition.

These factors play an important role in the form of discrimination that participants experienced across all social institutions. Positive discrimination was provided in the form of assistance, management, attitudes, comments and accommodations. Participants revealed circumstances in which discrimination was negative, including the refusal of assistance or accommodation, derogatory comments, malicious treatment and behaviours, inappropriate physical environments (due to noise, smells, access, furniture, line ups, public transport, etc.), inappropriate policies or procedures (eg onerous requirements, poor time frames, inability to be accessed remotely) or misinformed statements, treatment that was adverse (ie insufficient, inappropriate, adverse, deficient or damaging, and resulted consequences that were harmful to the physical, emotional or other interests of the participant). Of significance was the incidence of bullying behaviour that was associated with discrimination.

Those with more visible symptoms and presentation of ME/CFS (ie wheelchair and bed bound) received greater assistance at times, while those with more invisible symptoms and presentation found access to assistance a more difficult and at times impossible task.

Negative experiences had an adverse impact upon the person’s condition as well as their emotional wellbeing On occasions the impact and effect was sufficient to constitute trauma. The ability to respond to discriminatory practices was limited by knowledge of process and procedure, the health constrictions that impact the ability to take action, the availability of advocates to assist in such action, and the knowledge of the condition of those taking the action or making decisions. On no occasion was a participant able to follow through on a formal anti-discrimination complaint.

Woolie

Wow, how about that:
abstract said:
8.35 years from onset until diagnosis.
This is interesting too:
abstract said:
Within (the negative) experiences, issues such as knowledge and understanding of the condition played a significant role in the discriminatory interaction. Misconceptions about the condition played a primary role.
On the down side, I wish they had defined discrimination more tightly. Some of the sources of negative discrimination listed in the Discussion are failures to provide positive discrimination, such as adequate accommodations (e.g., putting patients in noisy, smelly physical environments, without properly tailored furniture, giving them unhelpful time frames, no remote access). These issues are equally important, and I know in the end that they all lead to MECFS people getting unfair treatment. But conceptually, they're different, and they may require different kinds of interventions.

taniaaust1

Great to see this being put out, I wanted to join this study but was too sick to be able to have done so.

I wonder if this will help support my current court case that Im being majorly discriminated against here. I've been discriminated against by so many of our government depts and places.... drs, hopsitals, centrelink, the court, the state disability service etc.

Me complaining about so many places having discriminated against me sounds unbelievable.... so that probably impacts things now too as it makes me look like just someone who is probably complaining for no reason at all when Ive had very major discrimination and abusive situations done against me.

Ive even been physically abused by them eg when I was in jail and collapsed a guard wouldnt believe me that I was disabled and sick and he stepped on my head with a boot, grinding his boot into my head to try to make me get up, really hurting me but I couldnt get up.

Jail, taking away my wheelchair and expecting me to walk when I couldnt and refusing me things cause I couldnt walk far enough. Jail dr told me CFS wasnt real, and he wouldnt allow me to have my normal treatments in fact I was completely denied many of them eg I couldnt even get headache pills when I needed them

in jail was left badly constipated till I was having to pick poop out of my arse as I couldnt go (note jail have cameras on you too while toileting so you could imagine how appalling this was to be constipated to that degree and having to do that with a camera on one)... so left in worst state while there.

and then Centrelink abuse, refusal to accept my sickness certificates when I was on the dole while trying to appeal disability pension knockbacks and then they told me I'd be cut off completely if I didnt get to my part time work... this forced me to drive when I knew I wasnt safe which caused me to fall asleep at the wheel and hit another car.

Hospital, breaches of state MCS policy and forcing me to wait outside in the cold in my wheelchair even when inappropriately dressed (after taken there by ambulance) and leaving me crying and shivering out in the cold.

Told me I'd have to wait with my MCS in the public waiting room where I was unable to wait without collapsing..and then this causing me to be found collapsed on hospital floor as they had forced me on another occassion to wait there.

I was unable to take Centrelink to court for blackmail forcing me to have to drive a car when too sick and then smashing up too cars due to it cause I wasnt well enough at time to take them to court and by the time I able to start to try to follow up some legal discrimination action, I was told it was too late. (time lines dont cater for us, we can be too sick for years and years to try to take any court actions and unfortunately there seems to be no allowance for our condition)

and the list go on.. major abuses. This is how you get treated here in Australia with this illness and from my experience having a wheelchair doesnt mean they are going to treat you better.

I use one whenever i leave my home and cant do much at all at home but they wont give me appropriate home support or even care support when I need it as ME/CFS isnt covered by state disability and has not also been included in the new National disability scheme currently being rolled out throughout Australia. Our ME/CFS societies over here are fighting to have it included as a proper disability.

. On no occasion was a participant able to follow through on a formal anti-discrimination complaint.

One cant get legal aid here if its against the government. Believe me I tried and many of the Aussie legal advice places are funded by our government and arent allowed to give advice to you if you want to do a case against the government. (so you cant not just get a lawyer but you also cant easily get legal advice either)

Im now got aid though a special clause on the grounds that winning my court case would be of public interest and helpful to others too so on that ground I can get legal advise and a wee bit of legal help..

Im getting aid through the equal opportunity commission but they can only put my particulars together (as I was screwing up the court particulars so putting the judge in a difficult position as judges arent supposed to advise) and I still are being forced into representing myself (phone hearings).

Well lets hope I will be one of the first here then. Im trying but I still dont know if I'll be able to follow through and win just due to my health being so bad so dealing with a discrimination court case is very hard. My case goes back to court sometime this month (Im going to phone my lawyer tomorrow to find out where its at).

Since last year, I no longer answer my phone to those I do not know due to the abuse Ive had from having ME/CFS, abused over the phone by someone working for a disability support agency (this abuse made me try to kill myself and end up in the ICU for nearly a week). So I now no longer answer my phone to any strangers or ones I know who may abuse me to protect myself.

My phone is now a trigger of the feelings and memories of that abuse. I feel a lot of fear now whenever I have to deal with new people over my disability. Im sure I now got PTSD over the being abused here in Australia by government agency people etc

Last edited: