• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS (CFS/ME!) on BBC "Today" Programme NOW - can anyone tune in

Hilary

I did the LP - it was garbage - I got WORSE.

Interestingly, before we started, Phil Parker told me they have trouble with lawyers and engineers who do the course. Wonder why? I know people who have benefited from it but I question whether they had ME at all?

Wonko

I did the LP - it was garbage - I got WORSE.

Interestingly, before we started, Phil Parker told me they have trouble with lawyers and engineers who do the course. Wonder why? I know people who have benefited from it but I question whether they had ME at all?
I don't, I'm pretty damn sure they don't, for obvious, and not at all insane, reasons.

arewenearlythereyet

Just listened to it...not too bad compared to what I had prepared for.

I noticed a pause followed by a quick intake of breath before she slagged off the MEA....almost as if it was something pre prepared that she was trying to shoehorn into the interview. The rest of it is her usual spouting off talking off the top of her head. I think this wasn't a slip, it was a deliberate dig.

Solstice

Just listened to it...not too bad compared to what I had prepared for.

I noticed a pause followed by a quick intake of breath before she slagged off the MEA....almost as if it was something pre prepared that she was trying to shoehorn into the interview. The rest of it is her usual spouting off talking off the top of her head. I think this wasn't a slip, it was a deliberate dig.

Isn't the afme losing a lot of members because they're (rightfully) get slagged of so much? Maybe she's trying to keep/make afme the go-to charity by slagging off MEA.

Mrs Sowester

Just listened, either she is really thick or an evil genius.
She just makes sh*t up as she goes along.
How can she not know why patient groups and patients get angry with her ridiculous research? When she answered her own flipping question when she said "People are desperate for better research".

And she clearly said the MEA are against research on children.

Does not compute.
Head explodes, bang splatter and so on.

Cinders66

Nonsense!

If you have been following this story from the beginning you will know that the MEA opposed the SMILE trial in the first place and we have been very critical of the Lightning Process for a number of years - this has involved formal complaints to both ASA and Trading Standards about unproven therapeutic claims

We produced a press release yesterday that was very critical of the SMILE trial and we also spent a great deal of time contacting health journalists and other media outlets to explain our position

We were asked to contribute to the 'Today' programme this morning but this offer was not then pursued - for reasons that have not been explained

I have just sent a strongly worded letter of complaint regarding the seriously inaccurate statement about the MEA position on research into cause and management of ME/CFS in children to Tom Feilden (Science Editor at BBC R4 Today)

Just because we are a member of the Board of the CMRC does not mean that we are unable to criticise or complain about research that has been carried out by another member of the CMRC Board when necessary

If we were prevented from doing so we would not be a member of the Board of the CMRC

CS

I appreciate the MEAs work/ stance on this issue.

But there's nothing taking on Crawley herself for not only the type/quality of research but her terrible media outings as well as how she smeered you which could easily affect your membership and ability to raise funds. The whole point of the collaborative was to encourage biomedical research - how is blaming an abusive field for lack of research at every opportunity, bringing up that old weight around our necks - mind body talk regarding CFS - and inflating claims for effective behavioural treatments in existence in any way attracting serious researchers or making funders step up?

user9876

Thanks for the transcript!

I heard this live at 7.50am and am very annoyed by this totally inaccurate comment about the MEA and it's position on research into childhood ME/CFS (which we fully support - providing it is ethical and does not involve pseudoscience) to put it mildly!

Incidentally, we were approached last night by the overnight team on the BBC R4 Today programme to do an interview - but for reasons which have not been explained this was not then followed up……

CS

I think Crawley is pretty much into hate speech against people with ME in the way she keeps on about threats and aggressive behaviour - it stigmatizes everyone with ME. It would get headlines if the same were applied to other minority groups.

Yogi

I think Crawley is pretty much into hate speech against people with ME in the way she keeps on about threats and aggressive behaviour - it stigmatizes everyone with ME. It would get headlines if the same were applied to other minority groups.

We need all the charities (perhaps via MEAction) to make a joint statement challenging and picking apart her false statements and her hate speech and of course the bad science.

Wonko

We need all the charities (perhaps via MEAction) to make a joint statement challenging and picking apart her false statements and her hate speech and of course the bad science.
.....and then we need people who don't actually have M.E., including but not limited to erm...people, just general people, her funders, other science type people, political type people, to actually read it.

From what I've seen that's the 'ard bit.

Invisible Woman

Has Crawley actually breached any of the CMRCs charter/rules @charles shepherd ?

It seems that is a deliberate lie & slur against fellow CMRC member.

I think a complaint should be made to Holgate & CMRC. At the very least she should be made step down from her position of vice chair, if not ousted altogether.

Leaving aside the whole MEA membership argument.

slysaint

I just find it unbelievable that the BBC time and again gives her such free coverage (see FITNET also) with no counter argument.
The interviewers rarely have much knowledge of ME (which isn't surprising), but they seem to always take everything she says as fact.

This interview has been repeated on the BBC world service (on another thread) thus spreading these lies about the so called 'abuse' and the MEA.
Yet hardly a word about PACE.

Talk about biased reporting.

eta: anyone told C of Mar? maybe calls for another letter to the BBC

Last edited:

Orla

I wonder what was said at the SMC press conference, or whether certain sections of the press can be trusted to react appropriately.

Is it coincidence that the Grauniad links to "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome researchers face death threats from militants"
and the BBC starts with "Ann" unwilling to disclose her name because of fear.

Coincidence?

The original SMC press release was awful and contained this comment:

“Researchers decided to test the robustness of this treatment so, despite activists trying to stop them, they ran its first ever trial”

Full press release
upload_2017-9-21_15-11-35.jpeg

Valentijn

The original SMC press release was awful and contained this comment:

“Researchers decided to test the robustness of this treatment so, despite activists trying to stop them, they ran its first ever trial”
They're sounding unhinged. Same sort of stuff you get about bleach being the cure for cancer, when someone wants to dismiss criticism by claiming they're just being persecuted for being too awesome.