• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME caused by squeezed nerve?

SOC

Thanks all

I am a nurse who cared for many patients with ME, mainly severe cases. So when this NICE/ CCC diagnosis was given to my daughter and she was rapidly declining I was devastated. The more I think of the diagnosis based purely on symptoms, which are obviously different for everyone and are similar to many other diseases the more Dr Amir's findings make sense. His diagnosis is based on physical examinations and visual signs of altered anatomy and physiology which is something that can be dealt with, something I have seen in discussions with his patients in the waiting room, the stories are amazing.

As to the cause. No injuries at all, no previous ill health at all, My daughter had many teeth removed and braces put in place as a teenager for cosmetic reasons and as soon as these were removed her teeth became very misshapen. She may have had underlining lack of jaw development also. When Dr Amir first saw Hannah and showed us in detail her jaw abnormalities I was astounded and indeed checked all members of the family and found Hannah's was the only one who was grossly abnormal

Best wishes to you all
Thanks for the clarification, Mari66.

It's still difficult to tell whether Dr Amir's treatment will work for all, or even a small minority of PWME, as most of us do not have jaw abnormalities, much less ones as clear as Hannah's appear (in hindsight) to be.

That said, if it can be a help to even some people with ME or ME-like symptoms, it bears investigation, especially by patients with jaw or other structural abnormalities. No one should have to live with ME-like symptoms if they can be cured with a treatment as relatively simple as Dr Amir's.

For those of us with documented pathogen involvement and clear (by testing) immune abnormalities, I doubt Dr Amir's adjustment of structural abnormalities is likely to be a cure, or even much of a help.

I'd advise Dr Amir and his supporters not to oversell his treatment. It could be very beneficial to a subset of patients diagnosed with "CFS/ME" by broad guidelines, but claiming it as THE cure for all ME patients only makes it look like another magical cure. That diminishes his credibility and could discourage those people who might benefit from his treatment from seeing him.

taniaaust1

Hi! I met a man who claims he has treated between 40 to 50 ME patients who are all cured today

He says he can fix me, but it will take about 6 months time, 4-5 days a week...

this man is working as a carpenter, so this is something he would do on his spare time. I don't think he would charge too much per hour.

So he works as a carpenter but has had time in his spare time to cure 40-50 ME patients, each of which he saw 4-5 days a week for 6mths!

That dont sound logical for someone to have that much time to put into each one of these people almost daily for 6mths.. and it isnt his job.

taniaaust1

What I am sure of is that he's not trying to scam me. He has actually expressed he rather not treat me as his too busy with his life, but since I know his family, and if I really want to, he'll do it. In fact it was my sister who asked him to share about his experience with ME with me. So, I do believe that he's convinced that he can cure me, and that he has no intention to scam me.

However, the doubt lies with me if he really can do what he says he can do, and if I'd bother to try :)
He claims that this man who taught him the technique tried to get inside the medical circles in Norway and that he offered to teach them what he knew about ME, but they refused, so he left the country and moved to Vietnam :)

So he moved to Vietnam as he couldnt teach this techinque in Norway, moved there but isnt working as a teacher of it in Vietnam (why did he move then ?). He's still working as a carpenter.

"Rather not treat you" is probably a bullcrap story so he's not caught out in his tall tales! It doesnt mean he's honest.

I can't comment if it is the solution for all but surely it should be ruled out at the diagnosis stage and for those suffering to reduce the suffering. Thanks

ukxmrv

@Mari66 , have you noticed other nurses with children with ME? My mother was a nurse and when I meet other patients there appear to be good number who had a nurse or other medic mother.

Thank you for your care of severe ME patients. It must have been a terrible shock when your own child was diagnosed. As far as I am aware there is very little nursing care for PWME in the UK so you are special.

Wayne

One thing that did intrigue me in the article on Hannah's treatment was the mention of changes in her facial features and rib abnormality. Presumably those facial changes arose from the misaligned jaw; but how did this jaw misalignment occur in the first place, do you know? Were there any physical accidents in involved, like a sports injury?

Hip, I had a specialized atlas alignment (Atlas Profilax) done in 2007 which felt almost miraculous to me because of the numerous improvements I experienced afterwards. I saw my chiropractor/ND about a couple weeks later, and he immediately commented on the changes in my facial structure. I've also done a procedure called "Nasal Specific", which can open blocked sinus passageways, and even move cranials that have become locked. -- [I believe most of my structural issues resulted from a head injury/whiplash at age 15, at which time my health started to deteriorate.]

There are numerous reports online of people experiencing major shifts in their facial structures after doing this. This is why I personally think at this time that it would probably be best to consider these foundational kind of adjustments before forging ahead with various kinds of appliances to change the mouth/jaw/TMJ structure. But I assume each case is very individualized.

Hip

This is why I personally think at this time that it would probably be best to consider these foundational kind of adjustments before forging ahead with various kinds of appliances to change the mouth/jaw/TMJ structure.

Dr Amir commented earlier that in his experience, adjustments made to the atlas bone do not hold if there is misalignment and asymmetry in the jaw. He said: "if the jaw is asymmetric the atlas soon dislocates again in very many patients".

I haven't read this entire thread - not well enough - but the stuff about atlas subluxation makes complete sense to me at least fro some of my symptoms.

I have looked in to it quite a lot in the past but can't travel to where I can see someone to try and help with it and, as mentioned above, I have TMJ due to problems with my bite and dental treatment in childhood sowhen I have had my neck adjusted it doesn't last.

I do know that all of my head symptoms - foggyness, photophobia, hyperacusis and that horrible pressure that makes me need to lie down instantly are all related to how much spasm I have in my neck and, particularly, if it is very tight right at the top. No amount of stretching and strengthening changes this - it is very unstable.

I had to have spinal surgery at the base of my spine in 2001 to prevent paralysis due to a piece of disc getting into the spinal canal and pressing on the cord and the whole of my spine is unstable.

I had the ME diagnosis before the back problems started but I think all the symptoms for me wre always conneted with my spine.

I have tried everything I can afford to to treat this but cannot find a way to stop my cervical spine curve changing - when it spasms it pulls the curve backwards and makes my head feel like I have a 50ib bowlng ball balanced on top of my neck that is pushing down and causing that heavy headed, concussed feeling that I associate with severe malaise that puts me in bed.

There is a new story on Dr. Amir's website about a gentleman with a long term diagnosis of ME who has been having this correction to alignment for only a few weeks with amazing results. For those of you suffering these symptoms it is well worth a look at this and I only say this as I know how difficult living with the symptoms are

Thank you. I will have a look but unless I can get an NHS doctor to actually listen, believe and act on what I have been saying to them for years there is nothing I can do.

xks201

I've had my Atlas adjusted and it offers temporary relief and it was out. What kind of therapy does he do and how long does each session last?

Hi all

Feel, I have to post again to encourage all who are diagnosed with ME or CFS or whatever it is called to rule out a misaligned jaw as a cause. After the devastation of last year to see my beautiful daughter so full of life the last few days since she has come home from university has been wonderful and the change in shape of her face and her whole body is clearly working wonders with Dr Amir's treatment. This time last year she struggled to walk for a very short distance and today I really couldn't keep up with her. Just want other families to experience the same benefits. He has loads of testomonials on his site that are well worth reading. We got our daughter back through seeing someone else's story and are so blessed to have done so.

Wayne

I have tried everything I can afford to to treat this but cannot find a way to stop my cervical spine curve changing - when it spasms it pulls the curve backwards and makes my head feel like I have a 50ib bowlng ball balanced on top of my neck that is pushing down and causing that heavy headed, concussed feeling that I associate with severe malaise that puts me in bed.

Hi @Joss,

Have you by any chance heard of Egoscue therapy? Here's a cut and paste from an email I sent out to a friend...

"Egoscue" therapy is a series of gentle exercises (or e-cises) that correct mis-alignments in our body--Jack Nicholas credits them for saving his golfing career. I just started using the Tower and it's been pretty amazing to feel so many areas of my body open up and flow so much better (and has significantly improved my sleep).

They say in the first link below that it's especially helpful for people who sit a lot.

Non-video introduction and description of the Egoscue tower and supine groin progressive:

Embracing the Tower

5-min. video -- very good introduction and description:

The Egoscue Tower - Supine Groin Progressive

13-min. video which goes into greater detail:

Egoscue Tower

Series of about 30 Egoscue videos covering a wide variety of very specific topics...

Series of Egoscue Videos

Hip

Feel, I have to post again to encourage all who are diagnosed with ME or CFS or whatever it is called to rule out a misaligned jaw as a cause. After the devastation of last year to see my beautiful daughter so full of life the last few days since she has come home from university has been wonderful and the change in shape of her face and her whole body is clearly working wonders with Dr Amir's treatment. This time last year she struggled to walk for a very short distance and today I really couldn't keep up with her. Just want other families to experience the same benefits. He has loads of testomonials on his site that are well worth reading. We got our daughter back through seeing someone else's story and are so blessed to have done so.

Hi Mari66

Thanks for your encouragement.

I have been considering visiting Dr Amir for a few years now, to see if his technique might help. I don't seem to have any huge misalignments in my jaw, except for the fact that my lower jaw seems to have either grown longer or has moved forward, and this occurred at around the same time as developing ME/CFS. Now when I close my mouth, my lower incisor teeth dig into the back of my upper incisor teeth (and in fact are slowing wearing away the back of my upper incisor teeth).

Ecoclimber

Dr.Amir is a quack. These quacks pay people to post on forums claiming how they have been healed from every known disease and illness usually claiming that Big Pharma, etc. wants to keep the real truth from the people. The woo woo wacko alternative science field is a $30 billion dollar industry preying on the conspiracy fears, desperation, ignorance of patients. Anyone making claims would be willing to back those claims with a double blinded scientific trial for verification.

Here is the discussion on how 'Dr. Amir' can cure MS and how he wrecked havoc on the MS forum.

http://community.mssociety.org.uk/f...blem-seek-spinal-symmetry-evaluation-s?page=2

I want to assure all on this blog that I promise that I have received no payment whatsoever from Dr Amir, or any encouragement to post this. My motivation for posting this is simply not wanting anyone to go through what my daughter and my family went through last year as it was devastating. And also as a clinician myself I cannot deny what I saw related to the anatomy and physiology of my daughters body and what I see now she has had some treatment. Simply put, she was very weak and unwell when her body was out of alignment and she is strong and healthy now she is back in alignment.

I wish you all well but again encourage any sufferer to rule this out, it doesn't take much to rule out

Hip

@Ecoclimber

I think your judgment here is well off the mark, and saying that "anyone making claims would be willing to back those claims with a double blinded scientific trial for verification" indicates a lack of understanding of how science works. It is very difficulty to get funding for scientific studies, as many ME/CFS researchers are aware.

Do you really think that cancer researcher Uzma Qureshi wrote her story for money paid by Dr Amir?

Ecoclimber

@Ecoclimber

I think your judgment here is well off the mark, and saying that "anyone making claims would be willing to back those claims with a double blinded scientific trial for verification" indicates a lack of understanding of how science works. It is very difficulty to get funding for scientific studies, as many ME/CFS researchers are aware.

Do you really think that cancer researcher Uzma Qureshi wrote her story for money paid by Dr Amir?

I know how science works and it's not what you described. These quacks have tons of money to back up their claims. Apparently you didn't click on the link in my post to understand the havoc that 'Dr. Amir' posters claimed or the fact that all known diseases and illnesses are caused by non asymetrical alignment of the body Atlas which can all be cured by using his treatment which is not cheap for his bridge realignment.

Amir poster:
"Hi Poll, Yes I totally agree but how many poor people have been given an MS diagnosis, put on what are basically recycled cancer drugs which suppress or destroy the immune system and left to deteriorate. It is a huge money-making scam. Take people with various symptoms with 'unknown' cause, label them MS and use dangerous drugs, some of which cause fatal brain infections and cardiovascular problems, and give them as 'treatment. It has never been proved that MS is an autoimmune disease, so how on earth do you develop drugs to treat it unless you are purely in the business of maintaining a stream of dirty money. It has been shown several years ago in the lab that the immune system in MS is clearing up damage caused by SOMETHING ELSE. It is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. The practitioner that is treating me says that he is yet to see a genuine MS patient. Every one he has seen has cranio-dental and skeletal asymmetries which, when corrected, make 'MS' symptoms disappear. What do you reckon to that? Jen x

I as simply stating the fact that recycled cancer drugs will do nothing to help MS because it IS NOT AN AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE. CSF is leaked into the brain causing lesions which can be cured by a simple realignment using Dr. Amir appliances."

Claims:
The nastiest part of this, is that the forum which Jencor and Dr Amir participate in, http://themsforum.org/index.php claims to be able to cure MS and all its main symptoms and...

RA and Fibromyalgia,

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Crohns,

Coeliac disease,

Migraines, Headaches,

Eating Disorders

Depression,

OCD,

Bi-polar Disorder,

Sleep Apnoea

Schizophrenia,

Hearing Loss/ Tinnitus, and..

Infertility.

I'd go on, but this level of quackery is about as bad as it gets.

Some of the rhetoric about how disgusting the MSS is, how the NHS is funded by Big Pharma and its toxic drugs, which just exist to keep people ill, is shocking and sickening.
No one cares - only 'real' doctors like Dr Amir, who will cure almost anything with his orthodontic therapies. Now he cares...about your bank balance. Will there be enough to pay him? No pay? No treatment, no 'cure'.

'Dr Amir' - " Although, this is still a contributory factor it suddenly dawned on me that having an asymmetric atlas would affect the function of the nerve to the tongue – The hypoglossal nerve. The occipital condyles, through which the Hypoglossal nerve travels, actually rest in the first cervical vertebra - the Atlas and if it is out of position it would physically alter the shape of the canal through which this nerve emanates, thus giving rise to poor swallowing function leading to poor jaw and tooth development which is the root cause of most illness."

A pure quack with unsubstantiate testimonies.

@Mari66
You can say anything. Where is the documentation as proof to back your claims? Ancedotal claims means nothing in science. It has to be backed by scientific methodolgy.

Research has proven that CCSVI should be dropped in multiple sclerosis
http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blogspot.com/2015/03/ccsvi-should-be-dropped.html

Last edited:

Hip

@Ecoclimber

Surely you can recognize that saying things like "how the NHS is funded by Big Pharma and its toxic drugs" is just the standard spiel for many people who side with alternative/complementary medicine rather than conventional medicine. People on this forum who side with complementary medicine say thing like this all the time, and you will find millions of complementary medicine practitioners on the Internet who hold similar opinions. These opinions are so commonly expressed that they have become overused cliches.

But as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I am not so worried about someone's belief system about a complementary therapy; I am more interested in whether that therapy works or not.

And I often like examining complementary therapies from a scientific viewpoint, to see if these therapies might throw some light on the nature of ME/CFS. It actually good training for the mind to see if you can figure out how an efficacious complementary therapy might work from a scientific perspective.

Last edited: