• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME - a neuropsychiatric illness?

Quilp

So a key observation by respected observers has to be banned from further mention because it 'doesn't fit' ? Emotional lability does not of itself necessitate a 'psychological' explanation (explanation - in the sense of a somatised illness process), emotional lability could as well be a symptom that is mediated by misfunction/dysfunction/damage to the brain as it is in Alzheimer's and numerous other neurological conditons: see Causes of Emotional lability (is that what "from centres very much in the the brain infected" meant ? ) We can't brush clinical observations to one side, they have to be taken on board and accorded appropriate positions within any schema of the illness that is being argued for - whether they are convenient or not.

IVI

My bolding

I quite agree, I wish you could send this to my GP., the psychiatrist that he sent me to, the family that told me to get a job.
IVI, I suspect we look at the world through different prisms, but I have to say I find your writing exceptional.

Kind regards, Mark

Enid

I'm off - cannot see psychiatry has or ever had anything to do with ME. And at some risk of signing in here close. Absolutely no prisms - medical findings (pathologies) reveal all. And it is not psychiatric. Whoever started and contributes to this thread in any positive way is out of their tiny minds. Try encephalogy - howcome all your pathetic reasoning we can cope with too.

Quilp

I'm off - cannot see psychiatry has or ever had anything to do with ME. And at some risk of signing in here close. Absolutely no prisms - medical findings (pathologies) reveal all.

Hello Enid, I hope you don't leave us and it appears you are upset. I cannot pretend to speak for others, so I will speak for myself ?

For most of my adult life I have felt pain that took me to places that I cannot find a name for. I have lost everything. My father went to his grave believing that M.E. was all in my head. My closest friend accused me of being lazy. My mother said I was simply depressed.
I have lost the best years of my life and for many years I was the one that got the blame.
No-one has ever apologised to me, nobody in truth, has helped me.
I am alive only because I am scared to die. I'm scared Enid, really scared. Some days I think it might be close, some days it wish it was close.

We agree Enid, we agree xxx

Enid

Quilp - I will fight to the end on this - I have passed out many times and well know "locked in" (long periods) - don't though I know it be scarey - science and real medical understanding is well on the way now. Have you've got good Docs to understand enough to treat at least somethings.

Quilp

Quilp - I will fight to the end on this - I have passed out many times and well know "locked in" (long periods) - don't though I know it be scarey - science and real medical understanding is well on the way now. Have you got good Docs to understand enough to treat at least somethings.

Yes Enid, I do see a private doctor, but for the first four years of being ill, I saw no-one. There was no-one.

I understand your anger about the Wessely School psychiatrists because I feel it too. In fact I have to watch my rhetoric because if I sit here for long enough there is a real danger that I will meander into an area that is not conducive to constructive debate.

Friday 9th October 2009, front page of The Independent ( I still have that paper ) ''Has Science found the cause of ME'' Next to that front page headline is an unrelated story about the Berlin Wall.
A poignant metaphor for what we have and continue to go through.

But our Berlin Wall will come down, and there's not a psychiatrist in the world that will be able to build it back up again.

Apologies for going off topic.

''Sit down and shut up Quilp''

Enid

Keep off Quilp and all the mumbo jumbo here passing as reason - not good - look to your own health and happier things than this.And nothing whatsoever to do with psychiatry - and those who have promoted on this strange thread, full of theories , lacking in medicine.
Why anyone (who should know pathology findings) is brought into gee body mind problems discussion defies any belief. One is forced to ask them have you had ME. And know the difference and been able to stand above - your mumbo jumbo alex and IVI ends my days here., Most especiallly redo for your ignorance and offence.