• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MCT oil, th2 and food sensitivities

outdamnspot

I brought this up in a thread I posted on salicylate sensitivity, but wanted to ask in separate thread, if that was okay.

Over the past few months, I've developed a lot of new food tolerances, seemingly out of nowhere, and have had to cut back on most oils, nuts, honey, avocado etc., which leaves me on a very limited Keto diet. I'm also crashing a lot harder from stuff I used to be okay with, like Omega 6.

When I thought about it, the only changed I've made since then has been the introduction of MCT oi (before that, I would have coconut oil in my coffee).

I don't know if salicylate sensitivity is an 'allergy' but based on this study -- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3563838/ -- is it possible that regularly consuming MCT oil is worsening my food sensitivities? Has anyone else had trouble tolerating it, or found it worsened other sensitivities by any chance? And if it is a problem, would that extend to coconut oil too? I'd be kind of remiss to have to cut out coconut oil because I do like having some fat in my coffee to aid fasting when I wake up.

Wishful

I finally got around to trying coconut oil. Lots of people claimed benefits from it, so I thought I might as well give it a try. It made me feel much worse. No new sensitivities; it just made my baseline symptoms worse. I don't have any theories as to why.

outdamnspot

I finally got around to trying coconut oil. Lots of people claimed benefits from it, so I thought I might as well give it a try. It made me feel much worse. No new sensitivities; it just made my baseline symptoms worse. I don't have any theories as to why.

It's an antimicrobial so can cause die off I believe

Yes, I only tried MCT oil once and won’t go near it again. It seemed to cause a major peripheral neuropathy episode (a lot of shooting nerve pain in my arm and hand).

I had it in coffee and the shooting pains started between 30 - 60 minutes after (my best guess). I hadn’t eaten/taken anything else new and I hadn’t had that kind of neuropathy in years, what I had years ago was very mild.

The neuropathy continued to happen for the next couple of weeks after trying mct, but it became mild and less and less frequent.

I don’t know if that’s related to your experience, I never came up with any good explanation.

Wishful

Yes, it could be causing die-off, which could increase my symptoms. I didn't feel any benefits from the oil, so I don't see any point in suffering from altered microbiome.

Aerose91

Ive always felt crappy with coconut oil but it's not die off. I think for me it's a mast cell thing because after taking it I get a little weezy, thinking slows down and i just feel off. No one has an explanation for it so i just avoid it

outdamnspot

I cut out the MCT oil today. Sad, because it definitely has a strong effect on mental energy/mood that other fats don't.

It may be a problem with the particular brand (Melrose, from Australia). I tried it a year ago when I wasn't as sick, and it made me feel quite strange .. foggyheaded and sleepy, which I presumed was die-off, again. It's composed from C8 and C10. It has quite an obvious taste, and when I googled, some people said that could mean it's less filtered than higher quality brands. When I used a 'pharmaceutical' grade brand (just C8), it never gave me the weird foggy sleepiness.

But I definitely have been reacting to foods I didn't used to while consuming it regularly, so will see if going without it makes any difference.

I have definately heard of MCT causing allergy issues, on numerous occasions. I think there is some science behind it to explain. Why not just cut it out and see if it helps?