Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mayonnaise/vinegar?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by outdamnspot, Jun 29, 2018.

1. outdamnspot

outdamnspot Senior Member

This sounds kind of weird possibly, but I've noticed I have more mental energy and clarity the day after I consume mayonnaise before bed (I'm on a Ketogenic diet). Could the vinegar be having some gut-related effect?

2. RWP (Rest without Peace)

RWP (Rest without Peace) Senior Member

@outdamnspot

Vinegar improves stomach acidity, so that would reduce pathogen activity. We sip on (while avoiding our teeth or using a glass straw) *white wine vinegar (6% acidity) at lunch & dinner. Apple cider vinegar is 5%. (*not for those with sensitivities to sulfite--naturally occurring compounds)

Good luck!

RWP + PWR

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Sherlock likes this.
  3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

The acetic acid in vinegar promotes vasodilation; but I don't think there is much vinegar in mayonnaise.

4. RWP (Rest without Peace)

@outdamnspot

While the vinegar content in the mayo is small, I can still taste it. One reason why you might like it is because you're on a keto diet, and perhaps you're having trouble digesting the increased fat intake? Maybe not, but if taking vinegar separately does the same thing, you'll know.

Of course, the mixture of the vinegar with the oil within the mayo may help break down the oil for easier digestion, giving you better fat absorption.

RWP

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Sherlock likes this.
  5. Sherlock

Sherlock Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing

Boswellia, USA
    That's interesting because I've always craved vinegar, e.g. adding it to soups and even sometimes drinking it with water. Also, sour candy as a kid, which contains the similar malic acid. Malic acid is one thing recommended for fibromyalgia.

The kicker: yesterday, when I was sick with a cold and having some slight muscle problems, I was craving mayonnaise.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  6. RWP (Rest without Peace)

@outdamnspot @Sherlock

Have either of you been tested for low stomach HCL? Of course, your symptomatic improvement is good enough proof to do it anyway.

BTW: I eat mayonnaise every day (and take vinegar or pickled relish alongside to help digest its fat and the cheese I'm eating with it)!

RWP

Sherlock likes this.
  7. Sherlock

Boswellia, USA
    I tend toward high stomach acid, sometimes way too high after certain types of foods... like lots of peanut butter.

8. RWP (Rest without Peace)

Can I ask a further question? Usually, vinegar would exacerbate a person's high stomach acidity. Do you have GERD (acid reflux)? Just curious.

RWP

9. Sherlock

Boswellia, USA
    Sure, ask anything :) I do not have acid stomach all the time.

Nope, no GERD for me. I do not fit the physical profile, either. However, I would get episodic reflux only at those rare times when my stomach is on fire from what I ate - and I am laying down.

I had a very few bad episodes of extreme GI inflammation and uncharacteristically low BP. One time I forced myself to walk during one and I ended up regaining consciousness on the floor.

10. RWP (Rest without Peace)

OK, thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure if this is true for you, since you've not mentioned have a definitive diagnosis. From what I've learned over the last 31 years, it is actually not as common to have true high HCL. Among sick people, esp. ME, the more likely scenario is low HCL.

The reason why I brought up GERD is that many people with that think that they are truly high, when they're actually low, and their esophageal sphincter isn't staying closed due to various factors, including low HCL in the stomach. My wife has esophagitis due to this tendency, and I have problems with the other sphincter, the pyloric one. When I did my diagnostic test in 1990, the lower (pyloric) sphincter wouldn't open properly due to my low HCL.

They called it hypochlorhydria (low HCL) , but there's also achlorhydria (no HCL production). I know I probably don't have the latter, but it almost feels like it.

You probably have heard all this before, but I just wanted to make sure. The reason why it's so important for us with ME is (among many other things than just this) that the lack of HCL makes pathogens more able to flourish in our digestive tracts, blood stream, etc.

RWP

Sherlock and pamojja like this.
  11. Sherlock

Boswellia, USA
    Thanks, I appreciate your observations.

Btw I think the malic acid had immediate benefit for me, not because of the acidity, but because of something in the malic side. I don't think it has to do directly with ATP, either.

12. RWP (Rest without Peace)

Yes, I think so too. I craved sour candy as a kid also!

RWP

Sherlock likes this.
  13. Sherlock

Boswellia, USA
    Aha, that's interesting.
    Do you ever have muscle problems, RWP? Three years ago I would get slight muscle tears in my biceps just from a few minutes of holding a portable phone out in font of me on speakerphone. Very odd. I was not overall weak or wasting, e..g I would still do chinups.

Roughly a year ago, I bought a bag of malic acid and that symptom went away very quickly. At first the taste was very entrancing to me. As the symptom went away, it wasn't entrancing anymore. After I'd used the malic acid, I mostly lost my daily craving for vinegar and for drinking plain, strong lemon juice, too. My guess is that for me those others were just a weak substitute for the malic acid.

There are lots of times when the lower mind knows what to do. It's like when a dog gets sick and it eats grass. It's not because the dog had looked it up on the internet :rofl:

Do you have daily mayo because you want to or by some plan? I'm sure you know that often Paleos need betaine hydrochloride because of hypochlorhydria.

See more popular forum discussions.