• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

May/June magic... how does it work?

PeterPositive

Every year, comes May/June all my symptoms are reduced by some kind of magic I don't even begin to understand.

Sure, temperature is mild, almost ideal, there's more hours of light etc.. but I still don't get it.. where's the trick? How the heck does a boost in temperature improve 30 different symptoms? From generalized pain, inflammation, digestive issues, brain fog, anxiety, histamine issues etc... etc...

I don't even need to be outside in the sun or warm spring air, I can stay all day long indoors and still get the benefit of May/June's magic.

I can swallow bucketloads of supplements, herbs and medications and still get nowhere near the kind of improvements I typically get around this time of the year!

My question is: do we really understand how these physiological changes happen, what modulates them, which mechansims etc...?

For me the difference between mid January and mid May is typically like day and night. At this point I guess I should save all the money I throw at doctors and pharmacists and move to a place with spring weather all year round, like Malaga or S.Diego :p

But seriously, I don't effing get it! :rolleyes:

Cheesus

Dr Myhill hypothesises that we open our windows at this time of year, and therefore our houses are better ventilated and thus there are fewer circulating mycotoxins in the air.

PeterPositive

Dr Myhill hypothesises that we open our windows at this time of year, and therefore our houses are better ventilated and thus there are fewer circulating mycotoxins in the air.
It may be for somebody, but I can pretty much exclude that it has anything to do with changing the air in the house, for me.

For starters the change is sudden. It's been raining for the past two weeks. My windows stayed closed most of the time, if not for the daily 20 minutes "air change". Today there's a beautiful sun, higher temperature... boom! All symptoms down three notches, starting early morning. No need to change the air.

I betcha a 1000 bucks that if tomorrow temps go down and it rains again, all symptoms would go back up those three notches as before. I've observed this for at least 25 years :confused:

So one could say... it's a matter of temperature. The heck it is. I can push my heating as much as I want, it doesn't affect anything. It must be a weather change, and it doesn't matter whether I am outdoors or wrapped in double layers of bubble wrap and hidden in the fridge. It alwaws works and it's crazy... I'd pay the equivalente of my monthly supps to fully understand the mechansims of this magic trick!

PeterPositive

Complete uneducated guess here - perhaps a reaction to pollen that, for some reason, has beneficial side effects for you. I have no science to back that up, so take it for what it is, merely a guess :)
Nah, too easy. Doesn't require the pollen season to work.

Also I have dermographism which causes extra histamine in the system. But, it improves dramatically with the good season and worsens in winter time which is typical, but still... no one understands why!

Again, not a matter of temperature, but season. Mind bending... and frankly, irritating.

Effi

@PeterPositive There's quite a lot of PWME saying they feel better in a specific season or a specific climate. There have been some studies about how the immune system changes with the seasons. I wonder if that could be the reason why people with systemic illnesses feel better or worse, depending on the season. (I haven't read this article in depth, not sure how sturdy it is https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms8000 )

sregan

If you aren't using heat or a/c sitting this time maybe you got mold in your air ducts? Can you try to enumerate any changes that happen in your physical world. Is your favorite fruit in season, etc.. possibly psychological? The nice weather cheers you up?

PeterPositive

If you aren't using heat or a/c sitting this time maybe you got mold in your air ducts?
I don't use AC, and it's unlikely there's any mold. The house is pretty much new. We moved here when it was built, been here for 6-7 years, no traces of any mold that I can see. Also this is has been consistent in every place I've lived... so...
Can you try to enumerate any changes that happen in your physical world. Is your favorite fruit in season, etc.. possibly psychological? The nice weather cheers you up?
Eh... I've thought of that.
Comedy cheers me up but it doesn't translate to changes in symptoms. So do certain video games with similar inexistent changes.

My diet is pretty limited due to digestive issues and sensitivites. I eat the same things I was eating in January... plus food has very little to do with my issues, as with many people here. Sure there are foods that can worsen my symptoms, but none that can make them better.

I regard this as dark magic, for the time being :)

PeterPositive

@PeterPositive There's quite a lot of PWME saying they feel better in a specific season or a specific climate. There have been some studies about how the immune system changes with the seasons. I wonder if that could be the reason why people with systemic illnesses feel better or worse, depending on the season. (I haven't read this article in depth, not sure how sturdy it is https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms8000 )
Thanks, I'll take a look.
The changes in hormones sound like a good fit. An increase in anti-inflammatory hormones could very well be the explanation since I definitely experience an improvement of inflammation. This in turn is likely to relieve a bit of the digestive and cognitive issues, improve sleep a bit etc... All it takes is push in the right direction :)

Still... it seems like the mechanisms are not quite understood, and it's a pity because seasonal changes can do more than all doctors have been able to accomplish!

rwac

Metabolism rises during the summer for everyone. TSH rises in cold months and reduces in warmer months...

Mohawk1995

We had similar story with our son. His ME and all of the symptoms were worse during the winter and better in the summer. Of course, we attempted school during the fall, winter so that could have been an issue as he had to get up early for that. Eventually he was not able to attend school, but he was always better in the spring and summer. He is in remission/recovered phase now, but in general has less health issues in general during spring and summer.

Could be something to do with the change of seasons? More sun/longer days equals more radiation indoors and out? Warmer Temps combined with high barometric pressures? For him I think there was a psychological component of this improvement because he loves baseball, loves to be outside and generally feels more hope in the spring than late fall/winter. I don't think that it is all that, but maybe a combination of many factors that then influence our physiology.

Most of all for you @PeterPositive you are better! Maybe a move to the tropics/Hawaii would be beneficial? Would be interesting if you could travel there in the winter to see if you have the same result.

*GG*

Are you sleeping longer/better perhaps? Ever since I have taken Remeron for sleep, I wake up feeling better, if not, I stay in bed for some time, and some times go back to sleep. I feel better then, wish others had the same experience, this illness, is much more tolerable this way!

GG

Murph

:)
My symptoms also get better just as summer starts. It's a mystery. I'm actually currently trying to reproduce the effect by travelling in Europe (I'm from the southern hemisphere). Not perfect but so far so good!

Belgiangirl

Everyone feels better at spring. Its a totally different atmosphere.
Lots of auto-immune diseased people also experience this: atmosphere is more dry, climate more hot. You have more daylight. I remember an old GP even saying that "your blood gets refreshed in spring" whatever that may mean. There are more beautiful colours and things, less grey ... it does something to people, prone to depression and stress or not, also the food is different, fresh food is more available. Less viruses and infections that even may be silent are jumping around. You get more outside, drink some beer on a terrace, ...

I can't relate to your joy.
I get frustrated more easily because everyone can go outside and do nice things and it stays long light, while i'm feeling sleepy at 6 pm...
Some of my symptoms are obviously aggrevated, including globus feeling in the throat, breathing problems, ...