• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

May is Lyme Disease Awareness Month

roxie60

Thought this could be a good thread for eveyone to post info on shows, events that are happening the month of May or have happened to help other members spread the word and take steps to raise awareness to our situation.

I looked at my local PBS stations for Lyme related programs but found none in the search (maybe function of poor search engine or they just are not scheduling anything). But I did find some PBS sponsored lyme related programs that people can use to help educate themselves and others. I have not viewed these yet so dont know if links still work, took directly from PBS site.

Why Lyme Disease Is 10 Times More Common Than Previously...
www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2013/08/why-lyme-disease-is-10-times-more-common-than-previously-thought.html

Around 300,000 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with Lyme disease annually, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Sunday, 10 times more than...
CDC Finds Lyme Disease Is on the Rise
www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/health/july-dec13/lyme_08-20.html

A new report from the Centers for Disease Control says 300,000 Americans contract Lyme disease each year, 10 times the amount previously believed by health officials...
Lyme Disease/Your Vote: Steve Abbott
Lyme Disease/Your Vote: Steve Abbott
video.pbs.org/video/1470513051

Maine is seeing a surge in Lyme disease cases this year. State Epidemiologist Dr. Stephen Sears joins Jennifer Rooks to talk...
CDC Warns About Rare Lyme Disease Complication
CDC Warns About Rare Lyme Disease Complication
video.pbs.org/video/2365142304

Health officials say Lyme carditis is a rare heart infection that can happen to people with Lyme disease. So far three people have...
6/24/11
6/24/11
video.pbs.org/video/2024717702

On the next Central Issues living with Lyme disease. We meet a woman has learned to live with the illness and we will teach you...
September 3, 2013 - Lyme Disease
September 3, 2013 - Lyme Disease
video.pbs.org/video/2365073257

Lyme disease is on the rise across the nation and state. We talk with a panel of experts about its prevalence in the Chicago area...
Monday, June 27, 2011
Monday, June 27, 2011
video.pbs.org/video/2030192364

A controversial film is shining the spotlight on the treatment and diagnosis of Lyme disease.
Lyme vs. Hermon-Dekalb
Lyme vs. Hermon-Dekalb
video.pbs.org/video/2296555772

Whiz Quiz salutes the academic excellence of high schools in Northern New York and Southeastern Ontario. Over 30 schools...
Revised Lyme Disease Statistics Raise New Questions
Revised Lyme Disease Statistics Raise New Questions
video.pbs.org/video/2365065908

A new report from the Centers for Disease Control says 300,000 Americans contract Lyme disease each year, 10 times the amount...
Sandy Creek vs. Lyme
Sandy Creek vs. Lyme
video.pbs.org/video/2166341157

roxie60

First for Friday, January 18, 2012
video.pbs.org/video/2327792936

Delaware State of the State, Lyme Disease, DRBA Deal, Art of the DCH
Lyme vs. Sackets Harbor
Lyme vs. Sackets Harbor
video.pbs.org/video/2365116498

Whiz Quiz with Glenn Gough starts it's 34th season beginning October 21, 2013. Glenn has been asking students tough...

Tick Season
video.pbs.org/video/2365228253

Lyme disease is commonly thought of as the worst case scenario for a tick bite, but some doctors are now warning that there are...

roxie60

I just looked at one of the US House Bills from 2001-2002 and I thought the outline fairly laid out some issues but I was stunned at the 14.5 million appropriated to the CDC for research into Lyme and prevention. Does anyone make these US departments accountable for the funds they receive, how they were spent and the results found as a result of the expenditures????

Looks like this bill ended up on the trash heap of congress. If it had been passed the status would show that. Do these initiatives just get thrown into the trash when sent to subcommittee? Do these congressmen just create bills so they can say they tried to do something but nothing happens??? In the private sector normally we are held accountable for what we produce, the end product, not just that we created a proposal.....

H.R.2118
Latest Title: Lyme and Infectious Disease Information and Fairness in Treatment (LIIFT) Act
Sponsor: Rep Greenwood, James C. [PA-8] (introduced 6/8/2001) Cosponsors (38)
Latest Major Action: 6/18/2001 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Health.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c107:h.r.2118::

Last edited: