Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

mast cell patients &a stomach acid

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by ebethc, Apr 14, 2017.

1. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

do all mast cell patients (mastocytosis & MCAS) have high stomach acid?

I have gotten this impression and read somewhere that the extra stomach acid forces the pancreas to produce less enzymes.... taking pancreatic enzymes has been a huge breakthrough for me, so any info that lays out a plausible chain reaction that makes sense is very welcome ... EXCEPT, I don't think I have high stomach acid, in fact, I think mine is way too low! I'm testing this weekend w the baking soda test (3 days)

Plum likes this.
  2. ryan31337

ryan31337 Senior Member

South East, England
    Can't comment on the pancreatic implications but acidity is often an issue with suspected GI mast cell reactions. H2 blockers are frequently recommended (anti-histamine/acid reduction). But then others will have low acid and benefit from acid supplementation, or the really unlucky ones will swing from high to low significantly...

Anecdotally I get bouts of heart burn alongside my reactions lasting a couple of days and had Barrett's Esophagus suspected on endoscopy.

ebethc and Plum like this.

See more popular forum discussions.