• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Martine McCutcheon opens up about the seven years she suffered from cfs and depression

Oh So, Bob - you are accusing me of accusing Martine!

Well, its much easier to 'Accuse' me than to 'Accuse' Martine ... she has so many 'supporters'

. You have clearly NOT done a full enough Google search of Martine's Interviews.

I do suggest that you do a MUCH MORE FULL Google search of Martines Interviews with her ever present media , before you accuse ME!

I had in fact surveyed at least 40 of Martines media interviews before presuming to critique her behaviour in the media recently. Just to make sure. But no doubt that is is wrong too in your book.

As I said, the publicity glamour Fandom is quite worrying.

And who the hell cares about ME sufferers left without dinner tonight, as long as Martine is well looked after, and massively defended by fans/people, who should be caring about the massively neglected sick ME Sufferers in Britain and other countries

Bob

Oh So, Bob - you are accusing me of accusing Martine!

I was just pointing out that you may have made a specific error in relation to what Martine has said about ME.

You said: "...she has conflated and very seriously confused ME with primary depression..."

But I haven't yet seen any evidence that she has done that.

As I previously Stated , Bob! Martine is Most Definitely Not An Ingenue as far as her Interviews with the British national papers and Celebrity papers. She is a veteran of how to use the media for self promotion. .

. To Be Honest - I totally expected to be accused of 'being unfair to dear helpless Martine', accused by the apparently relentless Apologists, Who, I might add have not read all the primary evidence that I have.

Groan.

I did expect some better analysis of language, media tactics, cutural memes, etc, from this forum.

Goodbye.

I doubt that it is Martine who has no dinner in the house tonight! Due to being too ME sick to even do a supermarket order.

anniekim

Bob, in the interview I read in the Sun (paid the £1 to join up and read) the reporter says she believes her illness was caused by working too hard and her unhappy childhood. I am presuming when she refers to illness she means the ME. I am sure the reporter has twisted some of what she had said to fit into the narrative they want to give, but I also feel she made some blanket assertions that were not helpful such as depression is part of ME (a consequence for some but not all so this could have been qualified better, perhaps was reporter's fault to be fair) her assertion that she believes the illness was caused by an unhappy childhood, working too hard (though people have all kinds of ideas what causes their illnesses of all kinds, cancer etc, but as there is so much public confusion over ME, I'd prefer caution) and her tweet ' I want people with ME to know they can be normal again and lead a good life'. We know many will have severe restrictions on their lives indefinitely.

All in all I'm glad martine is much improved and was brave of her to share her story but I do hope if she continues to speak out about ME she educates herself more on the degree of disability and varied prognosis

EDIT I didn't see the sentence you quoted until now which is different to what I read in the body of fhe sun article which said she believes her illness was due to unhappy childhood etc. confusing!

Daily Star 22nd September 2013

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...sed-Martine-McCutcheon-begged-Let-it-kill-me-
The former EastEnders and Love Actually star spoke for the first time about her battle with crippling mental illness.

The 37-year-old said she almost lost her marriage to husband, the musician Jack McManus, because things got so bad.
McCutcheon, who sprang to fame aged 18 playing Tiffany Mitchell in the BBC soap opera, told how she:
* Collapsed 20 times and piled on weight.
* Baffled medics with her terrifying symptoms.

* Became confined to a wheelchair.
* Sank into depression and prayed to "let it kill me".

* Stayed at home for a month refusing to see anyone.
The actress, who has just completed a television move The Home Office, became so ill she could not work and was declared bankrupt in January this year.
She was finally diagnosed with ME, the chronic fatigue syndrome, and treated with anti-depressants.
She said: "I would pray to God I wouldn't wake up.
"I would just say, 'Please, whatever this is, it is making me feel so bad, just let it kill me.'
"I've had the worst seven years ever.
"It's just been one thing after another.
"I have not been in a nice place in my head, financially nor with my career."
The star told the Sun that after the 2003 Love Actually blockbuster she had to turn down "amazing" offers because she was so ill.
And with her hospital bills mounting she relied on a lucrative advertising deal with yoghurt makers Danone but they
had to axe the popular actress because they could not insure her.
Debt collectors demanded she hand over her £25,000 diamond and French ruby ring.
"I burst into tears. I was devastated," she told the newspaper.

.Alex wrote: "Never trust the media accounts though. They get these things wrong so very often. Her facebook page is a better source."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@ Alex. Are you Truly claiming that A Celebrity's Facebook is a "Reliable Source" of Factual Information????

Martine McCutcheon's Facebook is obviously nothing more than an Adoring Fanclub !!!

I would appreciate it, Alex, if you educated yourself more about the UK Celebrity Scene, and about how the UK Media interacts with the London-based celebrity scene.

Right Here and Now In The Real World - not in some theoretical world.

Some of us have *insider understanding* of how these media/celebrity/music things work in Britian.

Its pretty frustrating to encounter people from other countries presuming to know more about 'London Scenes' than Brit Insiders themselves know, and live!

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
A couple of examples of media misquotation of famous people:

http://www.haroldpinter.org/politics/politics_representation.shtml

http://www.journalism.co.uk/news/su...hn-prescott-over-false-quote/s2/a544696/?oo=0

It is widespread. It doesn't matter how media-savvy you or your agent are. Once you have done the interview, or handed over your press release, the press do what they want with it. If it is seriously wrong, you may consider demanding an apology. You may eventually get one. But the damage is done. Readers tend to believe, and be influenced by, the first thing they read - not a much-later apology. They will develop opinions on people from what they read in the media. Most people do not realise how inaccurate much of it is.

Martine McCutcheon is not recovered - she is better, but still has ME (apparently). She seems like a nice woman, who is doing her best. She may get a few things wrong. So do people on PR, and that is publication too - millions of people may read our messages.

So much is not understood about ME. There are mechanisms by which an unhappy childhood, stress, etc., could conceivably increase the risk of ME, depression, and other illnesses - through damage to the stress hormone system.

Who can honestly say that it cannot possibly be a factor?

Its never , ever the celebrity's 'fault', is it?

They "do their best" to Get publicity for themselves

- and the people who suffer from the disease that the celebrity misrepresents in the (ravenous) british newspapers and Celebrity mags must stay silent (or be accused of being "unfair".

So while our friends and relations are misinformed - we have to put up with it.

Please wake up.

Martine McCutchen would NOT be all over the UK newspapers (and Hollywood.com) unless there was a career promoting factor.

Which is - Martine's new Pop Career!

'Martine McCutcheon planning pop comeback'

Actress/singer MARTINE MCCUTCHEON is planning to relaunch her music career after an absence of more than 10 years.

Published: Mon, September 23, 2013

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/431628/Martine-McCutcheon-planning-pop-comeback

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/04/02/martine-mccutcheon_n_1396784.html

'Normally hen do's involve a gaggle of women playing around with a blow up hunk, getting excited over an oiled-up stripper, then emotional over some cheap wine, all before getting into a fight down the chippy.
But someone who's had a much classier affair was former EastEnders star Martine McCutcheon.
o-MARTINE-MCCUTCHEON-570.jpg

As the actress hit Paris with a group of her closest friends, there wasn't an L plate or naff bride's veil in sight, as the group donned tuxedos and took a scream-free stroll along the River Seine to celebrate her upcoming nuptials.

And there to capture all the not so juicy details was Hello magazine, who organised a shoot with the bride-to-be.
Martine is set to wed musician fiancé Jack McManus later this year and told the magazine of how Jack had opened her up to the idea of marriage.

"If you've been abandoned by a parent or brought up by a single parent as I was, deep down you feel that's going to happen again.

"Now, with Jack, I feel completely loved. In other relationships I've had to apologise for elements of who I am - 'Sorry about the press,' or, 'Sorry it's not glamorous 24/7'.

"With Jack, there's no need for me to apologise or compromise."

Martine was also showing off her new slimline figure after putting on weight prior to filming her own fitness DVD, which she plans to release ahead of her big day.

Read the full interview in Hello! Magazine out now.

What other 'ME sufferer would boast about their new "fitness DVD", as a previous newspaper , the Mail, had already stated - a Bridal/Weightloss/Workout DVD - in 2012 ??

And then in 2013 seek sympathy for their Hepatitis C /Depression/ Stress/ Abusive childhood/ Glandular Fever/ ME/ Bankrupcy

Then instantly announce their new Pop comeback 2013.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What would YOU say about ME - if you were guaranteed full UK newspaper and Celebrity Magazine coverage?...
(A very Unlikely event, of course)

Many of the Express, Mail, Sun, OK Magazine, and other regular media stories on Martines life, loves, high profile celebrity function appearances, are identical in their writing style, phraseology and structure, despite being in different publications and written by different journalists.

That does indicate to anyone who analyses writing that these articles are PR Agent- written and directed - rather than a case of the naughty journalists misrepresenting Martine's statements.

Hi Bob - you may be reassured to know that you too can "be on top of" "ME and depression" according to Martine.

Encouraging, No?

And here is what Martine says she "was advised" to do - although she didn't state if she actually did any of these things, or if she did, whether or not any of the following lead to her recovery from ME:

"...Everyone is different and this illness has slightly different symptoms and strains but I was advised to look at Homeopathy, Accupucture, A training process by phil parker called the lightening process and an Antidepressant...."

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Martine-McCutcheon/176033142413287?fref=ts

Martine McCutcheon on her Facebook, presuming to 'advise' people with ME:

"I was advised to look at Homeopathy, Accupucture, A training process by phil parker called the lightening process and an Antidepressant..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Martine's relentless publicity seeking has been well noticed in Britain.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/martine-mccutcheon-advised-to-pile-on-the-pounds-93428

November 2011:
"It seems the fuller-figured Martine could be about to seal a six-figure deal to launch a fitness DVD.

In fact, it’s said the 35-year-old is even being encouraged to scoff her favourite foods before starting the weight loss regime, so it will look “as dramatic as possible”.
With offers from at least three companies, Martine – the face of stomach-friendly Activia yoghurt manufacturers Danone – has been advised to “eat what she likes” and go up a further dress size until the programme kicks in ahead of her wedding next year.
In addition, the Love Actually star is likely to be offered a big-money deal for magazine coverage of her marriage to Brit singer-songwriter Jack McManus."

"Polly Hudson's verdict
OH Martine. There we were, thrilled you had finally decided to embrace your curves and be a happy, confident, normal woman in a sea of celebrity size zeros – a much-needed role model for every little girl growing up in Britain today.

But it turns out things may not be quite as simple as that. How very disappointing.

Obviously now, in 2011, the public are not as naive as we once were. We know that “snatched” photographs of overweight celebs in far-too-tight, unflattering Lycra exercise gear working out in a park probably aren’t snatched at all.

Every weight-loss DVD needs a “before” shot for its cover after all. But, still, the thought of a star exploiting their weight gain in such a seemingly cynical way leaves a nasty taste. Still, I suppose when your only starring role in recent memory is in yoghurt adverts, you could possibly get a bit desperate.

The mistake Martine seems to have made is trying to take advantage of the people who put her where she is today was back in 2003, when she was popular. She’s trying to bite the hands that fed her (as well as everything in her fridge).
So the chances of Martine’s forthcoming exercise DVD topping the best-seller lists now? Slim to none."

Esther12

Wildcat - this thread is getting weird.

It's Martine McCutcheon. She sang 'Perfect Moment'. Many times. We can only expect so much. There are more important and interesting CFS things to spend one's time researching and thinking about.

It's always a shame to see the Lightning Process promoted, but at least it's in the same breath as homeopathy.

rosie26

I think stress could amongst many other things play a role AFTER the initial exposure to catching ME in that it can speed up deterioration into severe ME. I say catching ME as I believe I caught it over a decade before my severe collapse in 2001. I think I got ME through a bacterial/viral infection, my thoughts, gut feeling.