• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

mao a r297r geneticgenie shows ++ livewello -- who's right?

Hi Guys,

Hope everybody is doing well.

I'm digging into methylation since I think it's a huge component. I've used a few different services based on my raw data from 23andme.com and found a glaring inconsistency.

As the title states, I'm showing homozygous for MAO A RT97R T on genetic genie.. which i don't really understand since there is only 1 allele. But anyway, Livewello has me showing normal - - and there's two alleles by the way TT

Who's right you think? I know which outcome I'm rooting for, but need somebody's help

Anybody else show this discrepancy?

I opened up the raw data file and I think I found the snippet
rs6323 X 43591036 T

Hopefully it will shed some light on which interpretation is accurate

Thanks so much for your help

Last edited:

Valentijn

@matters - You're a guy, and MAOA is on the X chromosome, so you only have one allele. So you're not homozygous or heterozygous. Rather the technical term is "hemizygous" :D

I wouldn't worry about MAOA in general, unless you have symptoms involving psychiatric neurotransmitters. Otherwise the only "risk" is an exaggerated over-attribution of a personality type. Otherwise one version might indicate problems with supplementing methylB12.

I got the same results. I have a child with OCD behaviors showing so I would be interested in knowing which is correct. I did see that Genetic Genie reports the "wild" mutation. I have no clue what this means but they say that the "wild" one is designated with a -/-. I am thinking this means we do NOT have the mutation with a +/+. I would love some kind of confirmation from a more knowledgeable person though. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Valentijn

I got the same results. I have a child with OCD behaviors showing so I would be interested in knowing which is correct. I did see that Genetic Genie reports the "wild" mutation. I have no clue what this means but they say that the "wild" one is designated with a -/-. I am thinking this means we do NOT have the mutation with a +/+. I would love some kind of confirmation from a more knowledgeable person though. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
"Wild type" is simply the more common version.