• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Manganese Supplement?

Plum

Hi

If anyone is supplementing with manganese could you tell me which one you're using? There doesn't seem many around and I'm trying to get my head around them!

Thanks

drob31

Glycinate is supposed to be one of the more highly bio-available forms.

L-threonate is supposed to be good at raising levels of magnesium in the brain and could even have nootropic properties.

Natural Calm magnesium has a proprietary form of magnesium called ionic magnesium citrate that is supposed to be very bio-available as well.

I personally like glycinate.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I take Solgar chelated manganese. When I started I had elevated liver enzymes and was told to start very low and go very slow. I started with 0.5 mg/day, worked up to 0.5 four times/day, then increased the size of the dose.

At one time I was taking 8 mg twice/day. I was getting a 'twinge' in my right side that I thought might be my liver so I switched to 4 mg four times/day. I took that much from only 3 months. The Institute of Medicine sets the safe upper limit for adults at 11 mg/day.

WaterOz makes a liquid manganese that I have seen recommended.

Plum

At the moment I am supplementing with Biocare Manganese drops.
How are you finding them? I did consider them. I've found wheatgrass is high in manganese and am trialing that at the moment. It is meant to not cause an issue for gluten free people as none of the mature wheat is present.

How are you finding them? I did consider them. I've found wheatgrass is high in manganese and am trialing that at the moment. It is meant to not cause an issue for gluten free people as none of the mature wheat is present.

I am mainly taking them at the direction of my nutritionist. I can tell I need them bc it tastes really strong even when taking 2-3 drops at a time, which I understand is sign of a mineral deficiency. My plan is to see how I go for a few months and the decide if there has been a noticeable difference.