• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Managing Potassium Insufficency - Pro tips?

ahmo

@physicsstudent13 I reckon we all wish we'd been treated differently as children. We're all playing catch-up now. At this point each of us pretty much has to be our own health advisor/practitioner, because expertise is pretty hard to find. As I said to your other comment asking about Fred and potassium dosages, it's very individual. See the Guides linked to my signature to get further info. also, you might benefit from pr member Eric's consolidation of both Rich VanK and Fred's protocols:
http://howirecovered.com/active-b12-therapy-faq/#adb12-ratio

physicsstudent13

well I'm horribly disabled now and facing possible multiple sclerosis blindness and severely brain damaged. my mother didn't treat her tuberculosis and she probably gave it to me
I took 2160mg of potassium citrate and feel ok it's not supposed to be a lot according to the RDA labeling on the powders.

@physicsstudent13
I hope you feel better soon.

It may of some interest to you that many are questioning the so called science based medical folks and the record number of deaths under their care.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allen-frances/why-are-medical-mistakes-_b_5888408.html

quote:
"The recurring mistakes in my friend's care are the rule, not an exception. Medical error is now the third leading cause of death in the U.S.: Some 440,000 deaths a year are caused by hospital mistakes, and who knows how many more from outpatient mistakes."

aturtles

@Sherpa, my experience about methylation work and potassium. Disregard if this is old news or irrelevant to you at this point.

1. I take L-MTHF and MeCbl in 4 rounds every day. Following each round, I go into potassium deficit.

2. I don't have any ill effects from too much potassium. My understanding is that the human body goes through it pretty fast, in hours. I used to worry about taking too much and then an an accomplished nephrologist of my acquantance assured me that if your kidneys are healthy it is nearly impossible to overdose on potassium. I told him I was taking many grams a day and he shrugged. My personal experience bears this out: I can't really consume too much of it. At worst, I waste it. I've never had any hangovers or headaches.

3. To be clear, I consume potassium entirely to address deficit symptoms, not to a specific amount. Those symptoms for me are: brainfog, a sudden tired, and a heavy heartbeat -- all at once. These three together is my signal to take more.

4. For some months I was taking too much B1,B2,B3, driving my potassium needs very high -- to over 6 grams a day, and still going into deficit. The main culprit there was B1/thiamin, resulting in bad stomach problems bad enough that I went to the doctor to rule out disease and infection. (I was using outdated information that led me to take Pure Encapsulations B-Complex Plus, which has 100mg B1/Thiamin -- about 10x too much. Now I take 1/2 tab Nature-Made B-Complex (B1/thiamin at 7.5mg), and add biotin and whatever else I need.)

5. Now that I am not overdoing the B1/thiamin, I am consuming 2-3grams of potassium a day, a combination of Potassium Citrate and Potassium Gluconate. I don't leave the house without it.

physicsstudent13

my potassium was low about 3.0 at the ER after the high doses of vitamin B so I started taking 2160mg of potassium citrate in a powder, but had no relief of brain fog

aturtles

my potassium was low about 3.0 at the ER after the high doses of vitamin B so I started taking 2160mg of potassium citrate in a powder, but had no relief of brain fog

Brainfog has many parents. :) I don't mean to imply that potassium will solve it; it only does that for me in my deficit moments, along side the other two symptoms.

My *other* brainfogs, the more severe ones that I attribute to lack of good methylation, have been largely solved by my methylation work over the last seven months.

Every body/brain is different, and I consider myself lucky on many fronts. Every day is a balancing act for me, and I experiment constantly.

My sympathies @physicsstudent13 , and I hope you can find something that works for you.

physicsstudent13

I suddenly became weak and lost strength in my hands. so you've found methylation to be safe and beneficial? I had some strange maybe inflammation or restless, racing feelings after taking over 3g of potassium, but I feel a bit clearer. oxygen machine is failing on me though....

aturtles

I suddenly became weak and lost strength in my hands. so you've found methylation to be safe and beneficial? I had some strange maybe inflammation or restless, racing feelings after taking over 3g of potassium, but I feel a bit clearer. oxygen machine is failing on me though....

I'm not sure how to answer the implied question "Is methylation safe and beneficial" when the methylation cycle is essential to life. "Yes" doesn't quite seem to cover it.

If what you mean is, did I personally find the freddd protocol methylation work I've done since August 2014 to be safe and beneficial? Then the answer is yes. It's not always comfortable or steady, but it has been amazing, powerful, and life-changing.

I am doing very well these days. Excellent, even. I'm happier and more functional than I could ever imagine being.

Next week? Who knows.

Your mileage may vary.

I'm not sure how to answer the implied question "Is methylation safe and beneficial" when the methylation cycle is essential to life. "Yes" doesn't quite seem to cover it.

If what you mean is, did I personally find the freddd protocol methylation work I've done since August 2014 to be safe and beneficial? Then the answer is yes. It's not always comfortable or steady, but it has been amazing, powerful, and life-changing.

I am doing very well these days. Excellent, even. I'm happier and more functional than I could ever imagine being.

Next week? Who knows.

Your mileage may vary.

Is breathing air safe and beneficial to an asthmatic? Well, it's kind of required to stay alive, so....It's a funny line of logic, indeed.

When taking control of my health and adding in Freddd's protocol with the correct according actions of eating high potassium foods, and adding in the right amount of folate and additional potassium supplementation, I am feeling marked improvements in my energy, clarity and overall health.

I have been on the protocol 3 weeks, it is quite amazing. I am doing other things to improve my health also. For example, I am supporting my liver with internal cleansing and colon cleansing, etc. This has helped.

Glad you are getting results:)

TropicalKid

picante

http://www.acu-cell.com/znk.html
In my understanding you need to balance potassium with both synergists and antagonists.
In my experience, I need extra zinc and magnesium to balance out the large doses of potassium. If you follow Izzy's link, there is a section entitled "Sciatica" that is fascinating.

I took that principle and applied it to my neck pain, and here's what I found:
My neck spasms/headaches on the right side are relieved by raising potassium.
My neck spasms/headaches on the left side are relieved by raising zinc.
When the K-Zn imbalance flips, my neck spasm switches sides.

My Mg deficiency symptoms are not that obvious (yet). Good luck with this, @Sherpa.

In my experience, I need extra zinc and magnesium to balance out the large doses of potassium. If you follow Izzy's link, there is a section entitled "Sciatica" that is fascinating.

I took that principle and applied it to my neck pain, and here's what I found:
My neck spasms/headaches on the right side are relieved by raising potassium.
My neck spasms/headaches on the left side are relieved by raising zinc.
When the K-Zn imbalance flips, my neck spasm switches sides.

My Mg deficiency symptoms are not that obvious (yet). Good luck with this, @Sherpa.
Wow, great post @picante

I too connected the tight neck to low potassium, but didn't notice which side, etc. I'll be watching for that:)

TropicalKid