• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Managing Hypokalemia with Potassium Citrate. Urgent!

arx

There are meters that one could purchase online. I haven't looked into it. There was some discussion of them on another potassium thread some months back.

Hi Crux,

Yes,even I remember that thread. Potassium meters are not that common as I wish they were.

I find I also need alot of sodium. I don't usually add it to my potassium solution, but I use alot of sea salt with my food. My sodium levels are stable now. ( I take cortisol.) So, I also go with symptoms/cravings for salt.

Same here! I rely on cravings for both,low salt and sugar most of the times. They help.

Crux

Hi Arx;
From what I gather, it looks like you've brought potassium levels up to 4.7 with the lower amount , ~ 1200 mg. daily , you were taking.

So, it seems that the amount taken may be more than is needed. I agree with Freddd that a blood serum measurement of :
~ 4.5 is a good level to reach.

arx

Hi Arx;
From what I gather, it looks like you've brought potassium levels up to 4.7 with the lower amount , ~ 1200 mg. daily , you were taking.

So, it seems that the amount taken may be more than is needed. I agree with Freddd that a blood serum measurement of :
~ 4.5 is a good level to reach.

Hi Crux,

My potassium levels were usually around 3.7
The night I realized the confusion and posted this thread here, I took a lot more potassium. The next morning around 9 AM I got tested and the result was 4.7
I have got tested three times before(when I was in ignorance) and my levels were never above 4.0
Around 4.5 seems fine. I'll keep it in check.

Freddd

Potassium in serum flucut]ates all over the place. It falls and rises rapidly. 4.5 would a minimum for a serum level test. I have no idea how well that correlates to saliva meters. BE CAREFULL. Pay attention to symptoms. They won't lie.

vortex

thank you ! I have been feeling the weird sensation you so perfectly described as "feeling like an internal trembling/quivering" its very weird and I wasnt sure exactly what was going on.
But I am so glad to hear you describe it.

hi
i wanted to chime in that i have used potassium with much success (for about five months)
for the side effects of using the methylation startup sups. and have been astounded at the rapid relief it always brings me. i muscle test my doses on everything, and was SHOCKED when i needed sometimes like 9 or 10 (99mgs) capsules at a time. i buy POTASSIUM GLUCARATE AMINO ACID CHELATE at Raley's grocery stores in CA under the Captain Carrot brand. It is the only one I have found in that form, which is what I read here is most absorbable. It always tests the best at the available stores, too. I have never had trouble with needing more sodium or having it be too much. If anything, sometimes ten minutes later I would need another dose! In the beginning of starting Rich's sups in tiny crumbs, I went through a whole bottle of 100 potassium caps in three days! I have still been going through them, only my dose is now around less than 10 or so caps a day.....but whenever I start adding in the b 12s or folates, etc.....BAM!! Urgent need for potassium. Rich had an elegant explanation of this reason on a thread a while ago. Thank God for him and I sorely miss him dearly.
the effects i needed potassium for were/are anything from rapid heart beats, the shakes, feeling like an internal trembling/quivering, massive, rapid NAUSEA, and very often for that tingling pulling feeling you can get in the backs of your calves with the methylation stuff. a brand and form that also tests very well, and is waaaaay better cost
wise that i have not used yet is by Eidon (but I do use their iodide). vitacost.com sells this liquid potassium, and you can also visit eidon.com to read about the product and it's formulation. good luck.

thank you ! I have been feeling the weird sensation you so perfectly described as "feeling like an internal trembling/quivering" its very weird and I wasnt sure exactly what was going on.
But I am so glad to hear you describe it.

Hi Vortex!! How lucky am I to receive your very first post! :) I appreciate your feedback so much, as the reason I posted was in hopes that it helped someone else. Glad it did!! I also wanted to share with you that other things also helped with that symptom if potassium was not enough/indicated. These are individual supplements: Biotin or B2 (as the ribo 5 phosphate/broken down form-(there is a ' b2 i love u' thread also), P5P, or creatine powder. All of these things have been in my arsenal. I use them w or w out food, and several caps at a time if needed. I personally have never felt I've taken too much, even when using two or three caps of each indicated one in several doses throughout the day. Maybe add in that p5p. :) Hope this still helps, and glad you wrote!

vortex

Thank you holisticgal, I have been lurking here for a while but did finally register just to respond to your post. I have been taking coenzyme b complex from either country life or source naturals, both have p5p and r5p. But thinking about buying them separately just to be able to experiment individually.