• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Making your own Saline Nasal spray

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I've been having some sinus issues so I decided to add saline nasal spray to the mix.

The OTC ones have preservatives and I didn't want to buy the individual packs because it's just too much waste of paper and ends up costing.

I found a recipe to make my own with salt and baking powder so I made up the mix which I have stored in a glass jar. I also found some amber glass nasal spray bottles.

What I haven't found is how long will a bottle I make up last? On the counter or in the fridge?

And before anyone asks, I used purified water and sea salt without iodine.

Please tag me so I get an alert. Thanks

pogoman

I do use the packs as homemade solution just made my sinus plug up all day, along with individual bottles of purified water for each use.
I do not premake solution but from I've read people who do refrigerate it so to minimize infection risks and warm it in the microwave prior to use.
it is warm here year round so I want to minimize getting amoeba infections.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I buy a gallon of distilled water at the grocery store. I have not had a problem leaving the mixed solution on the counter "for a while", but that does not mean it is a good idea.

My doctor gave me a recipe where the distilled water is boiled before mixing, and using salt and baking SODA instead of powder. Baking powder has cornstarch that I don't want in my nose. I mix up a jar for the fridge (keeps for like forever), then put enough in the netti bottle and nasal spray bottle to last a couple of days in the cabinet before refilling from the fridge jar.

Both work fine individually, but using the netti once or twice daily and the spray in between works best for me. I clean out the bottles and replace them periodically and have never had a problem.

I am new to posting and have no idea how to tag minkeygirl.

Effi

@minkeygirl I used to use a netti pot with just (tap) water and Himalayan rock salt. It worked perfectly. (Tap water is pretty clean here, I don't know how it is over there...)

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Effi. I can't use Neti pots. Just causes too much pain.

I have boiled water, ours is horrible. Then made up a mix from the recipe I found. I have a little spray bottle I was filling with my mix and the water every other day.

From the fridge I have to Nuke it. Some days this is too big of a production.

@Little Bluestem thanks for helping snowman

@snowman. So you keep your mix unRefrigerated on the counter for a few days? I was confused.

Effi

I can't use Neti pots. Just causes too much pain.
@minkeygirl I sadly can't use it anymore either. The position you have to hold your head/neck in causes nausea...

Something else I've tried for sinus trouble is this: boil water with ginger and turmeric in it and inhale the steam after it's cooled down a little (cover head and pot with towel so steam doesn't escape). You can reheat it a couple of times during the day.

You could also make a paste of the same ingredients (ginger and turmeric) and put it on your skin as a compress (where the sinus pain is). It relieves some of the pain but it's kind of messy.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Effi. I've beem using eucalyptus oil.

I use a pyrex measuring cup. Nuke it and make a steam tent.

I also am using colloidal silver.

I actually don't have any sinus pain. If it gets too much I get nauseated and my lower teeth ache.

I found a set of 6 Amber nasal spray bottles for $10 (including shipping) so I can make lots of concoctions.

Sorry - long time til answering. Little Bluestem, thank you for the tip.

@minkeygirl , yes I keep it in the bottle unrefrigerated for a few days til I need a refill from the fridge saline.

Effi, NeilMed makes a squirt bottle instead of the traditional netti pot so you can hold your head upright.

shannah

Wondering what everyone does for the actual sprayer itself. I've tried boiling the old used containers to disinfect them thinking I could refill them with silver, GSE, saline etc. But the heat seems to change the plastic and the sprayer no longer seems to work. It will no longer spray.

I see you can buy disposable sprayers but I'd rather recycle the many ones that I have if there is a safe and effective way to disinfect and reuse them.

What do others do? Or any suggestions? Thanks