• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Making your own electrolyte mix

Vincent

Has anyone tried making their own? Right now I drink gatorade, and a TON of it. I would like to switch to something with little to no sugar. I actually can't drink just normal water, it makes me nauseous most of the time. If I add salt it's much easier. I have powdered magnesium and sea salt and want to know the ratio I should add things to the water.

perchance dreamer

I had to stop using the Electro-Mix. It worked great for my mild OI, but it made my teeth very sensitive even though I rinsed with plain water afterward. Now I'm using coconut water for electrolytes, but it doesn't work as well.

Water by itself doesn't work very well for me in large quantaties either, especially during the day.
So I drink a homemade lemonade to supplement my salt as I need several teaspoons a day in order to retain fluid and maintain my blood pressure. I enjoy the taste and it does the trick for me. This is what I do:
1 16 oz glass seltzer, a teaspoon of sea salt, two table spoons lemon juice and anywhere between a half and a full teaspoon of liquid stevia. I've found there's a lot of difference in taste depending on the brand of Stevia I use. I like Stevita. A 3.3 oz bottle costs $7.20 and during the summer months when I'm having an average of three of these drinks a day it lasts about two weeks.

Sparrow

Someone mentioned once that Dr. Klimas was recommending Nuun tablets. I've used them and like them okay. The "regular" one is the best for me (not the all natural one, and not the all day one), as the others have traces of zinc, b vitamins, etc. and sometimes my body does not like that. It's got sorbitol in it as a sweetener, though.

There was an article around here once that mentioned glucose potentially being an important part of optimal electrolyte absorption. But at least some seems to be absorbed fine without it, from my experience.

There's another thread here somewhere with recipes for homemade Gookinaid or whatever Vitalyte used to be called (I've tried the Vitalyte powder and it's fine, but it has sugar). I believe it was 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp potassium chloride (you can get crystals where you buy supplements) to 2 cups of water. An herbal tea bag or something might be a good idea, since potassium tastes nasty. :) I don't think a splash of juice would hurt much either, just maybe skew the balance a bit towards the potassium side.

For comparison purposes, my nuun drink has 172.5 mg sodium, 48.5 mg potassium, and 12.5 mg magnesium (so that's probably not a bad ratio).

Allyson

Has anyone tried making their own? Right now I drink gatorade, and a TON of it. I would like to switch to something with little to no sugar. I actually can't drink just normal water, it makes me nauseous most of the time. If I add salt it's much easier. I have powdered magnesium and sea salt and want to know the ratio I should add things to the water.
Vincent there are heaps of post and the recipes for gookinaid on the Not Crazy ME website

Basically though about 600 mils of water
half to one teaspoon of salt to taste

half a teaspoon of potassium powder - but fro iherb as a powder for about6 dollars ai thin now foods wasw th brand I got

the trouble with gatorade is it is high in fructose so will exacerbate IBS which this home brew does not

I think you can add sugar or glucose or d ribose to taste if you prefer a sweet taste

also I find the vietnamese soup Pho to be great a san electolyte drink ...just let it coool first asn the heat causes abdominal vasidiilation which will exacerbqate OI POts EDS

adreno

PR activist
My favorite at the moment:

Per liter of water:
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon potassium citrate
1/4 teaspoon magnesium citrate

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Would Potassium gluconate powder be OK to use in an electrolyte solution? That is what is available locally.