• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mainstream Canadian News Report

Old Bones

"Stigmatized Chronic Fatigue sufferers seek recognition"

The following is a link to a news article published yesterday on one of Canada's mainstream media websites:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/stigma...syndrome-sufferers-seek-recognition-1.3067130

Having found it by "Googling", I'm not sure those who aren't looking for ME news stories will stumble upon it. Although it focuses more on the controversy than the facts, it is generally supportive.

Update: I can now report that the video was aired on CTV's National news cast. In the "coming up" segment, it was described as a "debilitating illness".

Last edited:

L'engle

moogle
Surprisingly good article. I suspect it is mostly politics of scale that prevent research in Canada. They tend to fund a few key things that they think Canada can excel in and don't fund much for other things.

Bigger countries like the US can support a wider range of research topics. I don't agree with this way of doing things but I can see why it happens in a Canada where research and progress have been stifled for a decade.

The research in the US and overseas is too relevant to ignore and doing so makes Canada look like a backwater. The Canadian tendency to say 'Well that is American research and doesn't apply here in Canada' is basically a head in the sand type of philosophy.

Interesting to note the CIHR itself doesn't say that CFS is not a legitimate illness, only that the independent panel decided this.

The quotes from Bested are right on and she refers even to the most cutting edge research that has just come out in the last month.

frog_in_the_fog

Test Subject
Canada's largest scientific funding agency recently decided that ME/CFS is not deserving of research funding because it is not a legitimate disease, and more likely made up by patients.
This is the kind of thinking that makes me feel sad for us all. I wondered for years if I was actually physically sick because every doctor just said I was fine. This is something many of us face way too often.