• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Maine women publish book on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia

leelaplay

Ken Christian, Information Center Content Manager
http://www.wlbz2.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=118295&catid=3

[sb: there's a link to a video at the bottom, under the photo, of I think TV news coverage of the book, but I haven't watched it. LOVE "Fine. It's easier to say I am fine, but fine really mean's frustrated, irritated, nauseated and exhausted." Maybe that's what the FINE trial was all about. hee hee]

LEBANON, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a condition that affects more than a million Americans but there is no known cause or cure.

Two women living with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, or CFS, have spent years raising awareness of it.

Nancy Fowler and Lisa Ball have just published a book to help others cope with the disease.

CFS is a syndrome that can cause joint pain, sleep deprivation and exhaustion. One of Fowler's symptoms was memory loss -- which ultimately forced her to give up her nursing license. But on that day more than 16 years ago, fowler met Lisa Ball.

Ball spent more than $80,000 on countless doctors after a car accident left her with severe muscle pain, depressed and constantly tired. But no one knew could figure out what was wrong with her -- she was even told it was all in her mind.

WEB: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome at the CDC

Fibromyalgia at the CDC

Seacoast FMS/Chronic Fatigue Support Group

A couple of years ago the condition was finally determined by the Centers for Disease Control as a real disease. For Ball and Fowler, the recognition was long overdue. But they also realize there was a real need to educate and support other people who suffer from CFS and Fibromyalgia -- two different illnesses that have very similar symptoms.

Their book 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia' from F.I.N.E. to Feel Better -- was published earlier this spring. Ball says' "fine" is a word people suffering from CFS and Fibromyalgia can relate to.

Ball says, "Fine. It's easier to say I am fine, but fine really mean's frustrated, irritated, nauseated and exhausted."

The women feel the book is an easy read for folks who are newly diagnosed or who been suffering with symptoms for years. It talks about everything from symptoms, tests, medications, treatments and coping strategies.

The women eventually hope to donate some of the proceeds from the book to research in finding a cure for the illnesses. In the meantime they just want to help people like themselves live fuller lives.

genthumb.ashx

[video]http://www.wlbz2.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=88247392001[/video]

HopingSince88

Go Maine!

I recall a joke email about women saying "fine" when they really don't mean that at all. i googled that and didn't find what I was looking for, but did find this:

(source: http://www.jokes-news.com/2005/03/23/im-fine-thank-you-poem/)
There is nothing the matter with me.
Im as healthy as I can be.
I have arthritis in both of my knees
And when I talk, I talk with a wheeze.
My pulse is weak, and my blood is thin.
But Im awfully well for the shape Im in.
Arch supports I have for my feet
Or I wouldnt be able to be on the street.
Sleep is denied me night after night,
But every morning, I find Im all right.
My memory is failing; my heads in a spin.
But Im awfully well for the shape that Im in.
Old age is golden, Ive heard it said,
But sometimes I wonder, as I get into bed.
With my ears in a drawer, my teeth in a cup,
My eyes on the table until I wake up.
Ere sleep overtake me, I say to myself,
Is there anything else I could lay on the shelf?
I get up each morning and dust off my wits
And pick up the paper and read the Obits.
If my name is still missing, I know Im not dead,
So I have a good breakfast and go back to bed.
The moral is this as my tale I unfold . . .
That for you and for me who are now growing old,
Its better to say, Im fine, with a grin,
Than to let folks be told the exact shape that Im in.
Author Unknown

I am gonna keep looking for that email about women saying "fine" ... as it's a winner.

Dolphin

One of the cartoons in the video reminded me of cartoons from the National CFIDS Foundation (NCF) magazine - I wonder have they had cartoons published in that?

I like the fact that they're not claiming the book will cure people (or that's the impression from the title).

Here's some details on the book: http://www.amazon.com/Chronic-Fatigue-Syndrome-Fibromyalgia-Frustrated/dp/1882883683

Barnes and Noble have a table of contents: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Ch...and-Fibromyalgia/Nancy-Fowler/e/9781882883684

sarahg

Admin Assistant
Go Maine! If I had money, I'd buy it just to support them. It seems these may be the women behind the only functioning support group in the state, though it alternates between meeting in ME and NH. All the other ones I ever looked into seemed to exist in name only, and I have heard that theirs is very well run, though I never made it to that or any other support group. I remember reading an interview with Lisa Ball in one of the local papers and she definitely knew what she was taking about.