Volunteer opportunity: Organizing Phoenix Rising articles
This section contains all the articles that have been published by Phoenix Rising over the years. As you will see if you browse here, some of the articles are outdated--either the research has been superseded or retracted or the article features an event or campaign that is now in...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Magnesium Malate makes me worse?? Insomnia, gut

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Grigor, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member

Amsterdam
    Hello,

I've just started magnesium malate. Try to take it because of energy and also for the sound and light sensitivity.

I do notice that it helps me relax and sound sensitivity is a little better.
    But when I take my dose in the morning I'm totally out of it. Plus my intestines with IBS - D are not happy. They feel very acid. Which knocks me out for the whole day.
    On top of it I've been waking up in the middle of the night. Normally never have this so must be the malate.

I take other magnesium with calcium and Zink from Solgar and no issues here. But that one doesn't help with the noise as much.

Anyways. Anyone else problems with malate? Did it go away??

Greetings,

Grigor

2. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

Magnesium can bother people with digestive issues. I am very sensitive to any form of supplemental magnesium,

Maybe you could try footbaths / transdermal Mg. It is very effective, actually more effective than the oral form. Be warned that even this form can also upset your intestine. So start low :)

L'engle and Grigor like this.
  3. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member

Amsterdam
    Yeah transdermal I tried but didn't feel much if a difference.
    Plus I'm so bad at the moment that putting it on and washing it off everyday is not that great.
    Footbath would be great but can't handle the sitting with the OI.

Honestly the Solgar works kind of ok but the effects are not as good on noise sensitivity

4. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    Magnesium does come with bowel tolerance issues -- take over X amount and you get issues. Some forms are better than others. For example, magnesium glycinate is the least likely to cause digestive issues. I have found taking a combination magnesium/calcium works well -- as the calcium tends to cancel out the undesirable effects of the magnesium.

I hope you find a form that works for you.

Here is a short article about different forms of magnesium.

http://www.naturalnews.com/046401_magnesium_dietary_supplements_nutrient_absorption.html

L'engle, alice and PeterPositive like this.
  5. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member

Amsterdam
    Yes. I think maybe the one where I take calcium works because of that.

But the sleep issues are also not great. I need a good night sleep . Weird though cause I tried the Magnesium Malate before.

Kina likes this.
  6. jason30

jason30 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Be aware that Magnesium malate has the ability to chelate toxic metals. Aluminum, for example. So you could get detox symptoms from it.

ebethc likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.