August 8th, 2018: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe ME
Have you heard of our Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance? Please join Jody Smith in observing this day and honoring the 25% of those with ME/CFS who are most severely ill.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Magnesium lithospermate B and rosmarinic acid have potent antiviral activity against enterovirus 71

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by pattismith, Oct 5, 2018.

1. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

sb4 and Wonkmonk like this.
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Thanks for alerting me to that study, @pattismith.

Although this study finds rosmarinic acid (which is available as a supplement) and magnesium lithospermate B potent antivirals for enterovirus 71, note that this is an in vitro study.

I've looked at many of these in vitro studies of antiviral compounds, and what you usually find is that the concentrations used in vitro cannot be obtained in vivo, because even at the maximum safe oral dose, the blood and tissue concentration achieved is too low to match the in vitro study. So usually the antiviral is potent in vitro, but not effective in vivo.

In this case, I did a quick calculation on rosmarinic acid, and found that it's in vivo potency is very poor.

Note also that antivirals which are effective against enterovirus 71 will not necessarily work for the enteroviruses found in ME/CFS (coxsackievirus B and echovirus).

I compiled a long list of enterovirus antiviral compounds in this post, but most of these compounds unfortunately suffer from the same problem: they are potent in vitro, but not in vivo, because you cannot achieve high enough concentrations in vivo.

pattismith, sb4 and Wishful like this.

See more popular forum discussions.