• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

magnesium citrate - 200 mg contains how many mg of elemental magnesium ?

globalpilot

i have a bottle of magnesium citrate here. The ingredients state each capsule has 200 mg of magnesium "as magnesium citrate". Does this mean each capsule has much less than 200 mg of actual elemental magnesium ?

*GG*

I would think so, but not positive.

wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_citrate

C6H6MgO7, Molar mass 214.41 g/mol

Carbon (C) weighs 12
Hydrogen (H) weighs 1
Magnesium (MG) weighs 24
Oxygen (O) weighs 16

(Carbon) 6 x 12 is 72 plus (Hydrogen) 6 x 1 is 6, plus (Oxygen) 16 x 7 is 112, so excluding the magnesium, this comes out to 190. 190 plus the moleculat weight of Magnesium (24) would equal 214. So it appears to me that a tenth of compound is magnesium. So 200mgs would be about 22 mgs of elemental magnesium.

GG

I take magnesium malate:

C4H4MgO5, Molecular mass: 156.38 g/mol

So (Carbon) 4 x 12 is 48 plus (Hydrogen) 4 x 1 is 4, plus (Oxygen) 16 x 5 is 80, so excluding the magnesium, this comes out to 112. 132 minus 156 is 24.

from the bottle, 1250 mgs says yielding 833 mg Malic Acid. Serving size is 3 tablets, from the back 2.5 grams of Malic Acid (as magnesium malate and malic acid) and Magnesium (as magnesium malate) 435 mg. I usually take 9 tablets/day.

Adster

Now foods Mag Citrate. Roughly 1 tsp per day. I don't think I absorb much of it, I think the mag chloride on the skin works better.