• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium, B6 Vitamin, Zinc , B12 and Folate

HI

I am new her at this forum ( i am from Norway :) )

I would try out this forum. In Norway we don't take so high vitamins dose that other country does.
I don't have any diagnose or anything, but struggling with fatigue and panic attacks. I tried to work out, but after a work out i feel sick ( kind of flu or something ) . I have also take blood test, but nothings wrong with me.

I am now 37, have 2 kids. Seens I was 14-15 years old I have struggling with PMS, anxiety, acne, problems to fall in sleep. concentration problems and have ofte bladder infection ( I think have take about 3 or 4 antibiotika cure yearly for bladder infection seens I was 15 years old :wide-eyed: ) .... I was very good at school until when I started at high school. I had allot of concentration problems ( sorry my bad english :oops: )

I found a article read pyroluria and MTHFR gene and would like to try out vitamins and minerales for this. And hope this can help me :)

Someone of you have been testet? Or takes vitamins and feel better?

I hava just startet at Magnesium, zinc and B6

My acne ( and backacne ) are almost gone, so that is very positive. I sleep better ( Dont't take so ofte sleep medisin now, can go 2 and 3 weeks between nights I have to take sleeping pils )

I have also been at Wellbutrin, but have just stop to take that. And I have not feel any different after I stop taking Wellbutrin. My anxiety ( but not so much ) are still there and the fatigue after work out.

I have order B12 and going to try out B12 and Folate.

How much would you recommend? And wich vitamin are best to take day time and by dinner?

Today I take

Breakfast : 50 mg zinc Picolinate
400 mcg Folate ( as Metafolin )

Lunsj : Nothing

Dinner : Magnesium Citrate 500 mg
400 mcg Folate ( as Metafolin )

Supper : Magnesium Citrate 1000 mg +
Vitamin B-6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 100mg

I am waiting B12 in the mail ( Methyl B-12 1000mcg )

Are this to much ?

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I have been tested. I recommend testing like 23andMe, Organic Acids Test (OAT), Nutraeval, and kryptopyyrole to find out your status.

Its possible you could have Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome - which responds well to Vitamin C and B5. You could have a MTHFR gene defect that needs extra folate and B6. Almost everyone needs extra magnesium.

I don't think its harmful to take vitamins in most cases. Minerals you have to be more careful with... but up to 30mg of zinc and 1000mg of magnesium should be OK.

Your zinc and magnesium doses are a bit higher than average.

Maybe taking less magnesium in a more frequent dose (1000mg split into 3 or 4 doses - 250mg + 250mg + 500mg) will be more effective and absorbed better.

50mg of Zinc picolinate might be too much zinc for many people to start with. If you are metal toxic (copper, nickel, etc), 50mg of zinc will push other metals out into your bloodstream and make you feel worse. If this happens you may feel confused, indecisive, anxious, etc. Many practitioners start people at 15mg of Zinc, then move up to 30mg after several months.

Taking B6 in the evening can cause sleep issues for SOME people, but not all. Others, B6 helps them sleep.

My personal preference for dosing is Bs (folate, B12, B6) in the morning, zinc in the evening, magnesium any time - as it both helps energy and relaxation.

my program is more like:

Breakfast: 50mg B6, B12, folate , magnesium
Lunch: extra folate, magnesium (if needed)
Supper: 15mg Zinc, 25mg B6
Bedtime: magnesium

Last edited:

PeterPositive

It's not clear if you are referring to Magnesium as the elemental form or the compound (citrate). 1500mg of elemental Magnesium is 3-4 times the regular dose and it may not be a good idea in the long run. (plus it may irritate the GI)

400-500mg / day are usually ok and safe.

Thank you for you good answers :)

I see now that I wrote wrong dose at Magnesium citrate. 3 caps a day are total 500mg

But I would try out that you recommend Sherpa.. and take a litle bit less of zinc

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
400 - 500mg is a good, recommended dose of magnesium, 750 is high, 1000 is "maximum"

15 mg is a recommended starting dose of zinc, 30mg is a moderate dose, 50mg or more is a high dose

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Hi @Noway37

Welcome to PR. I agree with Sherpa regarding Zinc dose. Some people may benefit from Zinc supplementation but I think of it as a temporary kind of supplement not for long term use as other minerals/vitamins may become unbalanced.

I'm in no way an expert. But I would also suggest that you consider whether it might be useful for you to take vitamin D3.
I say this as you are from a far North country and vitamin D can be in short supply.

Another thought to consider. If you take magnesium you might want to consider some potassium tablets.
But now the list of what one might try is expanding. :eek: When I started investigating I had no idea of the number of kinds of supplements available. It's unfortunate the medical science is of little help with this.

Good luck :)
SD

Thank you all :)

I dont known that the Docters in Norway have heard about pyroluria or MTHFR gene. But I can take a call and hear with them.

But if I have pyroluria or MTHFR gene, and take this vitamins and minerale dayli, when will I start to feel better?

And what detox symptomer did you have?