• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium and the Brain

AFCFS

I also found that Magnesium helped with anxiety in general and most symptoms associated with klonopin withdrawal. I think it can be a slippery slope because too much magnesium can be harmful and I understand that certain individuals with certain conditions should not take it in at all. There is this, from WebMD (best to read the whole thing):
Magnesium is also used for treating attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), anxiety, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), Lyme disease, fibromyalgia, leg cramps during pregnancy, diabetes, kidney stones, migraineheadaches, weak bones (osteoporosis), premenstrual syndrome (PMS), altitude sickness, urinary incontinence, restless leg syndrome, asthma, hayfever, multiple sclerosis, and for preventing hearing loss.

And then these form livestrong.com - How Much Magnesium Is Harmful? and The Dosage of Magnesium for Anxiety.

Also this from Psychology Today: Magnesium and the Brain: The Original Chill Pill.

I don't use much of it, or use it very often, but it has worked for me when I needed some "calm." Of course, people also like to debate what form of magnesium is best. I like Magnesium Orotate, but am sure others have their own preference - 11 Common Types of Magnesium Explained.

I used to scoff at this type of treatment, but a few years ago I had terrible migraines after trying Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine). I ended up in the ER one night. I had no idea what the doc was doing, but later found out he had given me a Magnesium infusion via the IV. It had taken the pain away in about 20 minutes. I was truly amazed.

I had presented this to a pdoc and he said it was either hog wash or placebo. I said that I did not care, because it worked. I think beaker has a good quote on his profile that I read:

When the bird and the book disagree, always believe the bird.

~ John James Audobon

When you read through some of this, it seems that while the suggested supplement dose is about 350 mg, for specific conditions some may use up to about 9,000 mg. Also, most people will get some in their diet. On the other hand, Magnesium and the Brain: The Original Chill Pill says:
The oxide is not particularly bioavailable, but the studies I've referenced above suggest that you can top yourself off after about a month of daily supplementation
So, it does leave one to wonder how much is truly too much, and over what period of time?

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Didn't the Methylation Unblock people try NAC as a means of increasing glutathione and find it unsuccessful in the long term?

I'm not familiar enough with the methylation work to comment but I wouldn't be surprised.

It certainly does however increase glutathione markedly short term which is why its used as the first line treatment for paracetamol overdose.

Lotus97

Didn't the Methylation Unblock people try NAC as a means of increasing glutathione and find it unsuccessful in the long term?
Yes, there are better ways to raise glutathione than taking NAC or glutathione. Methylation is one of the best ways although it might take awhile for some people to see results. An equally good method for raising glutathione would be to improve mitochondrial function, the Krebs Cycle, and ATP. Many B vitamins are involved in Krebs and some also help recycle glutathione. Both methods actually go hand in hand and compliment each other so it might be good to focus on both.