• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Maffetone, Mitochondria; CFS and Overtraining Syndrome (OTS)

HowToEscape?

Wow! How relevant is this article for myself. My symptoms started when I started exercising intensely 5 days a week. Hard boxing sessions with HIIT training and weights. The weight was dropping off me and I wasn’t eating enough.

The silly thing is, I was declining month by month, but I continued to push through it until I could no longer lift my arms up during a session, and my lungs felt like they had no oxygen. I did this solidly for around one year.

I had to stop everything (work included), and now I’m 23 years old and practically House bound.

And not mention, I discovered an eating disorder during this time, so now I’m getting treated for that. What a shit 3 years!!

And they say we are just lazy, depressed and hate exercise. Pity you couldn’t be your former boxing self for an hour and discuss that point with them.

HowToEscape?

My symptoms started when I was tá the peak of my training : swimming,surfing and weights

Cases like yours need more exposure. At the official government levels, you don’t exist. Of course in England I suppose they’ll treat your case as a personality disorder; you were the “ambitious climbing yuppie type.”

I was in the gym constantly but I never did get the surfing part.

SmokinJoeFraz93

And they say we are just lazy, depressed and hate exercise. Pity you couldn’t be your former boxing self for an hour and discuss that point with them.

Exactly!! Up at 5.30am, 3 mile run. Work all day doing heavy lifting. Training at 5pm for a 2 and a half hour session. Home. Sleep and repeat 5 days a week.

There’s a lot of things that I am. Lazy is one thing I am not!

Wishful

It's possible that constant muscle damage--and thus t-cell activation--triggers ME/CFS the same way that viral infections do. It probably doesn't matter how the immune system gets activated: some cytokine triggers dysfunction that has positive feedback.