• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Maes Review: Mechanisms Explaining Muscle Fatigue and Muscle Pain in Patients with ME

Cheesus

Gerwyn, M. & Maes, M. Curr Rheumatol Rep (2017) 19: 1. doi:10.1007/s11926-017-0628-x

Purpose of Review

Here, we review potential causes of muscle dysfunction seen in many patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) such as the effects of oxidative and nitrosative stress (O&NS) and mitochondrial impairments together with reduced heat shock protein production and a range of metabolic abnormalities.

Recent Findings
Several studies published in the last few years have highlighted the existence of chronic O&NS, inflammation, impaired mitochondrial function and reduced heat shock protein production in many patients with ME/CFS. These studies have also highlighted the detrimental effects of chronically elevated O&NS on muscle functions such as reducing the time to muscle fatigue during exercise and impairing muscle contractility. Mechanisms have also been revealed by which chronic O&NS and or impaired heat shock production may impair muscle repair following exercise and indeed the adaptive responses in the striated muscle to acute and chronic increases in physical activity.

Summary
The presence of chronic O&NS, low-grade inflammation and impaired heat shock protein production may well explain the objective findings of increased muscle fatigue, impaired contractility and multiple dimensions of exercise intolerance in many patients with ME/CFS.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11926-017-0628-x (paywall)

RogerBlack

Is it only available behind a paywall? Do people agree this is useful evidence for stopGET stuff?

This is a review article. It is only the two authors opinion and review of the literature - it has no evidence of its own, and draws no clearly obviously correct inferences that were new from published literature.

Some aspects of the commentary seem plausible - I have not read it in detail as I haven't had enough coffee. Or have had too much.

Is it only available behind a paywall? Do people agree this is useful evidence for stopGET stuff?

Since it's a review study, it's gathering together information from other studies which we've presumably already seen. In that sense it's nothing new, though might be useful as a summary of evidence to support stopGET.

Does anyone have access to the full paper?

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Morris is newer to the field, but has been publishing since 2012, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22951418 - both very biochemically focussed researchers..

Um, Morris is a PwME, is somewhat well known in this community and left this forum under controversial circumstances years back (2010?). All I will say is I'm glad things have moved on since then!