• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mad Cow Disease Found in California

Googsta

Doing Well
This is from the second link i.e Mercury News.

The animal was tested as part of a random sampling program.

There's a worry, how many slip through?

California agriculture officials Tuesday issued a statement, saying the discovery of the animal indicates that the state's food-safety system works.

"Milk and beef remain safe to consume. The disease is not transmitted through milk," said Karen Ross, secretary of the California Department of Food and Agriculture. "Because of the strength of the food protection system, the cow did not enter the food or feed supply."

But critics said the incident shows shortcomings in the USDA's safety regulations. "Since the Bush administration, the number of cows tested each year has diminished," said Elisa Odabashian, West Coast director of Consumers Union, the advocacy arm of Consumer Reports.

"Only 40,000 cows a year -- of millions of millions slaughtered -- are tested," she said. "We don't know if this is an isolated, unusual event -- or if they are not finding it because they are not looking. There very well may be more beef that has this disease. Our monitoring program is tiny."

It's just about the last thing the U.S economy needs right now, & unfortunately that's when things like this get covered up or played down. I hope this isn't the case & it really is just one infected cow. How it was infected in the first place is a concern.

I know alot of farmers in the U.S feed their pigs restaurant leftovers (especially in Vegas) including meat.
But mad cow is cattle only, how did this cow get infected if it is against the law to feed product containing bovine brain or spinal matter?

LaurelW

It was bound to happen sooner or later. When will people learn than you can't feed animals to animals that are meant to be ruminants?

Good reason for being vegetarian, IMHO.