• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

M.E & Climate (help needed please)

SJH

Hi i'm looking for any assistance possible from M.E sufferers who have moved from a cold country e.g U.K to a warmer country such as Australia, America etc.
We are going through the visa process and my M.E improves in the Summer or on holiday as in the cold weather the pain is extremely severe. Also I'm not on any medication here at present for the pain.
Have to go through Courts for Removal of Jurisdiction for the children, but they need to see proof concerning the effects of a change in climate plus medication given.
Which is extremely difficult to find online, so thought I would try and speak to other sufferers who may have experienced these changes personally.
Thank you,
Take care,
Sarah

There was a thread about a boy recovering when he traveled to a country near the equator, so he moved to one. Here it is http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/a-remarkable-recovery-story.20820/ and there is discussion of climate.

Many ME/CFS patients do better in the summer or warmth but many are intolerant to heat. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/i-do-better-in-the-cold.8111/
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/zero-tolerance-for-heat.11059/
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/where-to-live-hot-or-cool-whats-best-for-cfs.8809/

It could depend on mold in the housing, mold outdoors, pollens, humidity, and other factors.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
SJH

Hi,

Your post is interesting! Would you like to change the title so that more people who have experienced this can see the subject from a glance at the title? Most people only open threads with titles that interest them, so being specific will help you get the responses you need.

Best wishes,
Sushi

SJH

Hi i'm looking for any assistance possible from M.E sufferers who have moved from a cold country e.g U.K to a warmer country such as Australia, America etc.
We are going through the visa process and my M.E improves in the Summer or on holiday as in the cold weather the pain is extremely severe. Also I'm not on any medication here at present for the pain.
Have to go through Courts for Removal of Jurisdiction for the children, but they need to see proof concerning the effects of a change in climate plus medication given.
Which is extremely difficult to find online, so thought I would try and speak to other sufferers who may have experienced these changes personally.
Thank you,
Take care,
Sarah

Nielk

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forum. I feel better in a warmer climate. For me I think it might be the benefit of the sun. I don't think there is any way to really prove this.
I'm not sure how you can go about this, I wish you good luck though.

SilverbladeTE

I get better in warmer times
but that's only anecdotal
maybe try and find papers on rheumatic/inflammatory illness linked to climate/temperature? :)

I know it's not merely "Heat" because stormy cold days say 2 to 6C are much worse than a frosty day at say -5C

SJH

Thank you for everyone's responses so far I really appreciate you all taking the time to try and assist me with advice, links etc.
Take care, Sarah.

SJH

Thank you for everyone's responses so far I really appreciate you all taking the time to try and assist me with advice, links etc.
Take care, Sarah.

I hate to say this but I felt no difference in symptoms after I moved to Israel from England.
In fact the heavy humidity in Summer made things worse. I suspect that mild dry heat that helps rather than the heavy humid heat that we get here (24-38c in Summer is very hard for me). What did help was the better health care access in Israel whenever I had secondary ME problems like frequent sinus infections, bowel obstructions, etc.

I hope things sort out for you. I was in two minds about posting this publicly. I don't want to stop you moving if you think it would help your health but felt I ought to tell the truth about my experience.

SJH

Thank you I appreciate your honesty from what I can gather the illness can affect people differently I have other health issues too including Raynaud's; which might clarify why the cold and heat has a different impact with my illness.
Take care, Sarah.