• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lysine, nuts and EBV

Hi all.

Im dgx'd cfids and Lyme and doc also found high titers for EBV. Some of my immune markers are also very low. She's started me on Transfer Factor Multi-Immune and suggested I cut out nuts. I try to follow a Paleo(ish) diet and nuts and nut flours have become a large part of diet, so i was researching about this. Looks like it's possible to keep eating nuts if I up my Lysine intake. I'm taking 1000 mg Lysine. I've read people taking up to 5000mg lysine for EBV. Can anyone comment on this or direct me to relevant info. Thanks for any help!

My 12 year (72lbs) is taking 500mg 3 times a day and I will put her on a maintenance of 750mg two times a day after her titers and symptoms drop. Her EBV numbers were >600 with a positive of >21.9.

We are following Buhner's herbal antiviral protocol for EBV ("Herbal Antivirals" by Stephen Buhner) and I added the l-lysine to it. Buhner recommends adults take 1000mg three times a day and when symptomatic 3000mg three times a day (this is listed under HSV 1 & 2 but I would imagine dosage to be the same for EBV).

Herpes simplex virus? I think dosing for ebv might be different (ie - higher). I've read different things. Do u avoid nuts? I'm wondering whether im going to ruin things by continuing to eat nuts. It's hard for me to avoid nuts and almond flour which i cook with to avoid grains. Also, do u take lysine in empty tummy? thanks for any info. best of luck!

Herpes simplex virus? I think dosing for ebv might be different (ie - higher). I've read different things. Do u avoid nuts? I'm wondering whether im going to ruin things by continuing to eat nuts. It's hard for me to avoid nuts and almond flour which i cook with to avoid grains. Also, do u take lysine in empty tummy? thanks for any info. best of luck!

HSV is a group of herpes related viruses (not all are sexually transmitted version). Kiddo has one of these as well, HHV-6.

We do not avoid nuts, but we also do not normally eat a lot of nuts. We eat legumes more as a rule. She takes the morning and evening doses near food or with food, the 3pm dose is frequently on an empty stomach.

So far as I can tell, there is no real evidence of toxicity even at high doses: http://www.drugs.com/npp/lysine.html and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15204731

Regardless of your end dose, start somewhat low and work your up to minimize herx reaction.