• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lyrica -- ( Pregabalin )

Hi all,

I hope it's ok to post about this in this subsection of the forum.

Basically if anything my ME has gotten worse & I spoke to my Doctor as I know that codeine is highly addictive & I noticed that I was getting that way. It does help with pain but its not making the condition go away. She, my Doc, suggested trying Lyrica, which I believe has only been used regarding ME recently ( in the UK anyway).

Nothing much happened for about 3 weeks but as the weather was good I just sat in my garden enjoying the warmth. About 3 weeks ago I started feeling better, I was able to walk further distance, the pain was less severe, my fogginess was still there but ok.

Since then I have started to feel more human & have managed to socialize & play music again which I missed so much .

Yesterday was the 1st day in 2 & 1/2 years that I managed to walk into town without feeling like death afterwards, I actually felt energy in my body ( it was a feeling I'd almost forgotten) I must admit I got home & burst into tears as I was so ecstatically happy, it's a feeling I will never forget. :)

Could this be the Lyrica or could it be that this awful illness has left my body ? I got it through Glandular Fever & I've been told that it can just work it's way out of your system. Obviously I'm being sensible ( I haven't planned to climb Mount Everest just yet) but this is the best I can remember I've felt in years.

Sorry for my waffling lol :) x

Furbie

Has anyone else found these Pregabalin good?

Nielk

What great news!!!!! I understand totally the emotional high of being able to do things you could not do for so long. enjoy it!!

It could be the Lyrica. It is hard to tell. For me, Lyrica did not help and I had some adverse side effects but, I think that others find it helpful. I would try not to change anything that you are doing now. If it works...don't fix it.

It's good to hear good news for a change.

Thank you. Fingers crossed it permanent.

I just read some of the side effects... Some bizarre one in there

anna8

That's brilliant news! Fingers crossed your over the worst and on your way to a complete recovery!
It's good to hear some good news for a change.

Love Anna x

ukxmrv

My rheumatologist prescribed Lyrica for me as a treatment for pain and stiffness. Years ago I had a road traffic accident and the Lyrica was to treat the resulting problems from that.

Started off at 50 mg (he wanted me to take a 75 mg dose) and began to feel overhyped. The increased activity led to a massive crash. Lyrica makes me more active and then the post-exertional malaise sets in and my ME symptoms (viral) set in with extra weakness and loss of mobility. Then I am so weak, sick and shaky that I cannot do even my normal daily activity of washing.

Stopped and started the Lyrica at 25mg but after about 5 days the same thing happened again. This time was a sinus infection as well.

Lyrica does help the pain and the stiffness though so now I only take it if those symptoms are at their worse. Then I stop. My Rheumatologist said that this would not work but for me it does.

Really glad you are doing well on it Furball. What dose are you on?

outdamnspot

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here felt worse on Lyrica ..

I'm trying it for anxiety (I had a very bad withdrawal coming off Mirtazapine, which was causing intense restlessness, adrenaline rushes etc.).

So far, my anxiety is not reduced at all. I was quite agitated from the Mirtazapine withdrawal, but am still agitated on Lyrica 75mg 3x per day. I have tachycardia, feel overstimulated etc. I'm beginning to wonder if the Lyrica is hurting, rather than helping.

One strange thing I've noticed is very stiff/painful leg muscles and fatigue, especially in the morning. I don't sleep better on the Lyrica -- I wake up with black circles under my eyes.

I get paradoxical reactions to benzodiazepines, so feel like the Lyrica might be doing the same thing.

ukxmrv

@outdamnspot

I don't have anxiety normally but Lyrica made me feel hyper in a bad way. There was no way I could tolerate 75mg x3 as the more I took the worse it got.

ukxmrv

I still take it at times. Can tolerate pulsing small doses of it and then complete breaks in between.

Spent about 6 months trying different doses to be on it permanently and all ended in failures. My consultant told me that the side effects would get better over time - they didn't, my consultant told me that pulsing would not work but it did help me (at least in a small amount).

For the past year I have now been taking Celebrex 100mg one a day or two if in severe pain so rarely take the Lyrica now. That's a smaller dose than my new consultants wants me on but I'm pretty cautious with drugs. This helps me far more than Lyrica ever did. I know that this is not a drug for everyone due to the cardiac and stomach risks but for me it's been good for the pain and I'll continue,

bertiedog

Because of almost daily, migraines involving large amount of painkillers to get through the day and night, in desperation I started Lyrica 25mg x 3 about 10 days ago. I also had Acupuncture a week ago which always helps the migraines. I haven't noticed any side effects at this dose apart from feeling sleepy in the evening and sometimes in the afternoon.

I have had less migraines and the couple I have had were milder but I think this might be due to the Acupuncture but maybe they help each other. I want to continue to take Lyrica for at least a month or more to break the vicous cycle I have got in. I have tried changing my diet, never eat chocolate or strong cheese or drink alcohol but nothing makes any difference. The past 2 mornings I have woken with migraine-type pain and have needed painkillers plus 50 mg Imigran to get rid of it. I cannot see that I will be able to tolerate a higher dose because of the sleepiness I get from it.

Pam