• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lymph Node Pain???

LisaGoddard

Hi, Any thoughts on how to treat lymph node pain?

I have tried anti-inflammatories, antivirals and recently azithromycin. Plus lots of herbals like green tea etc..All of them increased the pain and made me feel really unwell. I think my immune system must be on high alert and any immunemodulating action makes it worse.

I have contemplated trying prednisone but am worried it will affect my adrenals?

So if anyone can think of any options please let me know.
I've had the pain every day for over 4 years now and seem to have run out of possible remedies...

Iquitos

I have the same problem, with my deep inguinal lymph nodes. Basically the pain is under my panty line and deep into my hip joint at the pelvis. The only relief I have found is by using a vibrating massage ball, running it up and down that line. This is only temporary but can help me get to sleep when the pain is keeping me awake.

Capsaicin also helps distract me from the pain, mainly by the pain it causes, especially in that area.

According to http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/swollen-lymph-nodes-topic-overview

"The lymph nodes in the groin (femoral or inguinal lymph nodes) may swell from an injury or infection in the foot, leg, groin, or genitals. In rare cases, testicular cancer, lymphoma, or melanoma may cause a lump in this area."

These lymph nodes are so swollen that they seem to almost be pushing my thigh bone out of it's proper place in the hip joint. Sometimes when I stand or try to turn or swivel, it seems to pop back in place in the joint, with a sharp pain. It makes walking painful. I've had this for over 8 years and it's getting worse.

rosie26

Hi, I was given Prednisone for inflammation pain, NEVER AGAIN, will I try that tablet. I took 1 tablet , I think it was 5 or 10mg and it had me so horribly highwired throughout the body, I couldn't stand it. I stopped it immediately. I told my doctor and he said that people usually experience one of these sad, glad or mad taking prednisone. It made me mad ! If you do try, hope you have the glad experience. :)

Sparrow

It might be worth a try to wait some of them out if you haven't tried that yet. ...Or that could be a terrible idea, I guess. :rolleyes: It's such a frustrating thing not being able to tell if something is hurting or helping.

I felt like crap when I started immune modulators, etc. SUPER sick, including the lymph nodes (which is what usually happens to me when I crash, or when something disagrees with my system). But after a long time, they started to really help. More than anything else I've tried so far. And they've temporarily gotten rid of some of the lymph pain I usually have daily. I'm wondering if my body was working overtime to kill off invaders and that's why my glands were so swollen, etc. Kicking the immune system into gear felt like crap, but I think it was doing positive stuff.

If you were already on them for a long time, though, I'm not sure what to suggest. That's the only thing I've found so far that helped reduce that kind of discomfort at all (aside from just refraining from activity at all - and even then I still had that discomfort, just at a lower level).

LisaGoddard

It might be worth a try to wait some of them out if you haven't tried that yet. ...Or that could be a terrible idea, I guess. :rolleyes: It's such a frustrating thing not being able to tell if something is hurting or helping.

I felt like crap when I started immune modulators, etc. SUPER sick, including the lymph nodes (which is what usually happens to me when I crash, or when something disagrees with my system). But after a long time, they started to really help. More than anything else I've tried so far. And they've temporarily gotten rid of some of the lymph pain I usually have daily. I'm wondering if my body was working overtime to kill off invaders and that's why my glands were so swollen, etc. Kicking the immune system into gear felt like crap, but I think it was doing positive stuff.

If you were already on them for a long time, though, I'm not sure what to suggest. That's the only thing I've found so far that helped reduce that kind of discomfort at all (aside from just refraining from activity at all - and even then I still had that discomfort, just at a lower level).

Thanks Sparrow. The antivirals and immunemodulators (chemical and herbal) all helped to begin with, and then after a few years whenever I had even the smallest amount my lymph node pain would increase and I felt horribly sick. Cytokines causing this perhaps? Like you, my pain is minimal if I do nothing whatsoever.

Sparrow

Thanks Sparrow. The antivirals and immunemodulators (chemical and herbal) all helped to begin with, and then after a few years whenever I had even the smallest amount my lymph node pain would increase and I felt horribly sick. Cytokines causing this perhaps? Like you, my pain is minimal if I do nothing whatsoever.

Ugh. It's so hard to know. Could maybe be that you picked up some additional infection or virus along the way too, I guess. I suspect part of why my reaction was so super bad at first was because I had an infection I didn't yet know about - lots of backlog for my system to work through.

I haven't been on them for years yet, though, so will have my fingers crossed that I don't develop the same issue. Sorry you're having to deal with that.

rosie26 I had negative reaction to Prednisone also. of course they did not believe, like it could not possibly do that. But I react to most everything, so Lisa, please do not let that discourage you - i am one to try something that makes any sense at all.

of course the immune system could be fighting something. i think lymph is a means to remove waste products from tissue, etc. in my case, a few years back, i had enlarged lymph nodes. i suppose there was some pain/discomfort, but they were swollen. i went to lymp doctor, who did not even feel them, or test for any cancers, yet basically passed it off as nothing... basically saying there are so many lymph vesels from the head that there could not possibly be any drainage/backup issues. i did go to lymph massage therapist, and that helped somewhat, but only temporary. i felt terrible. turns out i was low in enzymes (as was found on stool test actually, and my saliva was really thick, slimmy, sticky). i took a bunch of enzymes, and this cleared it up, both the lymph nodes and the saliva. Of course this does not mean we are the same, i am not saying this should help you, but this seemed to help me. just think it is interesting - how saliva and blood, and lymph, can be related. there are all sorts of enzymes, and i tried all sorts. give it some thought, research. maybe check out things that might help (blood) circulation in general.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have been taking a supplement called SinuZyme by Redd Remedies. I don’t take it for my sinuses, but because it says it also supports immune function and lymphatic drainage. I take half of the recommended dose.

Earlier this year I injured my back. I was not able to make out-of-town shopping trips to resupply my supplements.

During this time I experienced frequent itching and stinging in my armpits. This has been a rare symptom for me for years. I wasn’t too surprised since I was mostly inactive (I am moderate ME/CFS) and was taking pain meds.

When I was able to restock my supplements, the shop did not have any SinuZyme. I was off pain meds, back on most of my supps, and pretty much back to my regular activity level; but the lymph symptoms continued.

A couple of weeks ago I was able to get the SinuZyme. Since then things in my armpits have settled down. The claim for lymphatic drainage appears to be valid.