• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lyme Urine Antigen Test

Has anyone had a positive LUAT or LDA urine test after coming back negative for all other Lyme tests? Or, has anyone had the LUAT or LDA test? Does it result in many false negatives?

out2lunch

Has anyone had a positive LUAT or LDA urine test after coming back negative for all other Lyme tests? Or, has anyone had the LUAT or LDA test? Does it result in many false negatives?
My Lyme was diagnosed via LUAT. Western Blot was negative but doc was convinced I had Lyme based on history of bite and symptoms, so I did the abx challenge for LUAT.

False negatives and false positives do happen, but one advantage to the 3 day LUAT is that borrelia do not shed at the same rate each day. If you get different values each day, then the test is most likely valid, as it was for me. I was borderline on the first sample, negative on the second, but highly positive on the third.

Not sure which abx is preferred these days for the challenge, but the results are less likely to be false with the abx. What does your doc wish to do?

Thank you for the reply. I was put on 5 days of Zithromax prior to collecting the samples for the 3 day LDA. I noticed no difference in my symptoms while on the antibiotics. What antibiotics were you put on for the challenge, and did you feel any better or worse while on them? Good to know that someone has had positive results for this after a negative WB.

I'm still waiting for the results. I was told it may take a month. How long did it take for your LUAT results to come back?

out2lunch

Thank you for the reply. I was put on 5 days of Zithromax prior to collecting the samples for the 3 day LDA. I noticed no difference in my symptoms while on the antibiotics. What antibiotics were you put on for the challenge, and did you feel any better or worse while on them? Good to know that someone has had positive results for this after a negative WB.
My abx challenge was with doxy, but the initial treatment was Zithromax (then Suprax w/Flagyl). I didn't notice any difference in my symptoms, either. Not until I was on abx for a couple of months did I notice any improvement.

out2lunch

I'm still waiting for the results. I was told it may take a month. How long did it take for your LUAT results to come back?
Honestly, I don't remember how long it took to get the results. I did the LUAT back in 1999 when IGeneX was basically the only game in town for Lyme testing. The doc I was seeing at the time had spoken to Burrascano many times about treatment options. He was the one who recommended adding Flagyl to my regimen.

out2lunch

Interesting. How much better are you now than you were before taking the abx?
Regarding symptoms that were clearly from Lyme, vast improvement. But I still have my ME/CFS symptoms which I didn't have as much before treating the Lyme, oddly enough. Lyme didn't flatten me with PEM as ME/CFS has done now. The fatigue worsened after my Lyme treatment, to the surprise of my doctor. It's probably from something completely unrelated to the Lyme.

Before treatment, I had severe joint pain and inflammation, dripping night sweats and fevers, and severe brain fog. I still have some joint pain, but mostly from osteoarthritis. Did the Lyme contribute to it? Probably. And I still have some brain fog, but that could be from sleep disordered breathing problems that aren't completely resolved with CPAP. But the night sweats and fevers disappeared completely after several months of abx treatment.

That's great that the night sweats and fevers went away. Do you think that the antibiotics contributed to a further development of CFS symptoms, or something else? I have heard that some people have negative side effects after taking long term antibiotics.