• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lyme testing - in Australia

Art Vandelay

My doctor has recommended I have a test for Lyme with Igenex (in the USA) but hasn't given me much guidance as to which test to have (I think she may be worried about pressuring me since I have to watch my budget).

I was initially thinking about having their basic Lyme panel (Western Blot IgG, Western Blot IgM, Lyme IFA) but am wondering if this might not be thorough enough. Looking at some of my symptoms, I wonder if Bartonella is also a possibility.

The Australian Tick-borne Diseases Panel 1 has a range of tests, including for co-infections, but is it worth the extra $700? See: http://www.lymedisease.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Igenex-Prices-Australia.pdf

I am curious to know whether there are any people (Australians in particular) who have had these (or similar) Lyme tests and what their results were.
  • Is the Western Blot enough to pick up Lyme? (from my basic research, it does sound unreliable but the other testing methods seem even less reliable)
  • Are co-infections like Bartonella and Babesia common in Australia?
  • Have people tested negative to Lyme but positive to any co-infections?

Last edited:
Hi Art V

I have been diagnosed by both Infectolab (Germany) and Australian Biologics as having Borellia and Chlamydia Pn. my daughter has too. I was told by my llmd that the tests in Aust were not sensitive enough yet to detect bartonella or babesia and that the Dr.'s tended to look at the symptom profile.

I strongly suggest you join a forum called Lyme Australia and Friends which is found on the same website you mentioned above. In this forum there is an unbelievable wealth of information, furthermore you are kept up to date with the latest goings on in the Aust. lyme community. Hope to see you there soon.

Art Vandelay

I strongly suggest you join a forum called Lyme Australia and Friends which is found on the same website you mentioned above. In this forum there is an unbelievable wealth of information, furthermore you are kept up to date with the latest goings on in the Aust. lyme community. Hope to see you there soon.

Thanks very much for the information k-AUS! I applied to join that forum on Facebook earlier today but my request hasn't been approved yet.