• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lyme Disease: Dust mites carry Bartonella

Ecoclimber

Bacterial 16S ribosomal DNA in house dust mite cultures.

Valerio CR, Murray P, Arlian LG, Slater JE.
Source

Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, US Food and Drug Administration, Bethesda, MD, USA.
Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Allergen extracts prepared from Dermatophagoides farinae contain significantly more endotoxin than Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus extracts, and extracts from both mite extracts contain more endotoxin than pollen extracts. Attempts to culture bacteria from mite cultures have failed to establish the sources of the endotoxin.

OBJECTIVE:

To determine the bacterial sources of endotoxin in mite extracts.

METHODS:

Live mites of both species were obtained from 2 sources, DNA was extracted from the mites, and DNA encoding bacterial 16S ribosomal RNA was amplified by using specific primers. The amount of bacterial DNA in each mite DNA sample was determined by quantitative PCR using an internal standard, and sequence homologies were determined from amplifications performed by using a high-fidelity DNA polymerase.

RESULTS:

DNA from D farinae appeared to contain between 11-fold and 24-fold more 16S ribosomal gene copies than the genomic DNA from D pteronyssinus (P < or = .003). Sequence analysis indicated the dominant presence of at least 3 phylogenetic clusters of Bartonella species (henselae, quintana, vinsonii, and grahamii), as well as uncharacterized alpha-proteobacteria, from both D farinae and D pteronyssinus. In a few clones, sequences from Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas species, and Acinetobacter species were also identified.

CONCLUSION:

House dust mite DNA contains evidence of Bartonella and other Gram-negative species. These Gram-negative species are likely to be the sources of the endotoxin found in mite allergenic extracts.
PMID:16337462[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16337462

Other Related Articles:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...iscovery-of-other-reservoirs-for-ticks.18136/

Eco

*GG*

Not a new finding by any means. Thanks for posting. I think I might have this, will have bloodwork soon. I probably have dust mites, not a clean freak.

GG