• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lyme Disease/ Aortic valve damage---connection?

I had LD diagnosed in 2005 and used Samento to beat it--took about 18 months. Had all my amalgams removed and felt really well. Fast forward to last summer when a family practioner said she heard a heart murmur and I had an echocardiagram done showing aortic valve stenosis. A fainting spell last week required another echo and it looks like a new valve is in my near future.
There is a connection between Syphilis ( another spirochete bacteria) and valve damage so I was wondering if any other Lymees had or heard of anyone with LD having heart valve problems?

Helen

Dr. Richard Horowitz writes in his book "Why can´t I get better?" about this. In a kind of questionnaire under symptoms you can read: Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
I don´t know if I am allowed to quote more but it is evident that both Lyme and other infections might cause this. Lyme, Q-fever and Brucella are mentioned on page 73.

Dr. Richard Horowitz writes in his book "Why can´t I get better?" about this. In a kind of questionnaire under symptoms you can read: Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
I don´t know if I am allowed to quote more but it is evident that both Lyme and other infections might cause this. Lyme, Q-fever and Brucella are mentioned on page 73.

Thanks Helen-

-I did have a murmur diagnosed just recently but it has been 9 years after the Lyme treatment. I have been googling and evidently there is a strong correlation between LD and the heart valves.

Martial

Lyme disease can cause endocarditis and can be lethal by means of stroke or heart attack. It can also interfere with electrical impulses within the heart and sinus node. Actually a lot more people die of these complications then recorded its just really under diagnosed as a cause of death. As long as you are on top of things you should be alright. Most I have heard is people with cardiac issues from lyme showed issues of ongoing infection that resolved with proper treatment, though some needed temporary pacemakers and other things for the short term.